cant load caches

MR.4

trying to load caches on my garmin etrex 20 and its saying I need the plug in to do so. I get the plug in latest version and reads my gps with ID# and I go back to website and still says I need the plug in to load caches? anyone know what to do? is there an update or something im not aware of?

trying to load caches on my garmin etrex 20 and its saying I need the plug in to do so. I get the plug in latest version and reads my gps with ID# and I go back to website and still says I need the plug in to load caches? anyone know what to do? is there an update or something im not aware of?

IE11 is really bad for this. Try running IE11 in comparability mode, or better yet use FireFox or Chrome.

STOP. USING. INTERNET. EXPLORER.

PERIOD.

Can we pin a post with these instructions?

--------------------------------

Ok, now that I've gotten my rant out of the way, I'm going to guess that you're a windows user and that you use Microsoft's hideously awful (and least secure of any browser) Internet Explorer. Might I offer some alternatives that have outperformed IE in just about every category of comparison since 2003.

1. Mozilla Firefox - still arguably the leader in the field. Good no matter what operating system you use.

2. Google Chrome - a worthy contender, also supported across platforms.

3. Safari - only if you've advanced beyond Windows into the Mac world. I'd still choose one of the two previous options.

There's a known bug with the latest version of Internet Explorer (11?) that breaks the Garmin Communicator plugin. There is some fix out there that has you enable some compatibility mode, but why bother when you should be using any other web browser out there.

Also, as a premium member, you shouldn't even be loading caches one at a time with the "Send to GPS" function. Pocket Queries are the wave of the future present past. You download a GPX file with up to 1000 cache listings and install it directly on your GPS as if it were mounted as a USB thumb drive. No extra software required.

But I can understand the frustration of the communicator plugin not working. The plugin is useful on other sites such as Garmin Connect for uploading tracks directly from the GPS. I hope this helps, and if you still have problems, we'll continue the troubleshooting process.

Edited by mineral2

STOP. USING. INTERNET. EXPLORER.

PERIOD.

[clip]

Also, as a premium member, you shouldn't even be loading caches one at a time with the "Send to GPS" function. Pocket Queries are the wave of the future present past. You download a GPX file with up to 1000 cache listings and install it directly on your GPS as if it were mounted as a USB thumb drive. No extra software required.

But I can understand the frustration of the communicator plugin not working. The plugin is useful on other sites such as Garmin Connect for uploading tracks directly from the GPS. I hope this helps, and if you still have problems, we'll continue the troubleshooting process.

MICROSOFT EXPLORER - THE NUMBER ONE BROWSER FOR DOWNLOADING OTHER BROWSERS.

Actually, it is nice to have the Send to GPS function working in case you want to add that one cache that just popped up without re-running the whole PQ. But, be aware that most GPSs have a limit on the number of GPX files that can be read by the unit. PQs are definitely the way to go for most of your geocaching needs.

There are also programs like Garmin's Basecamp, EasyGPS, and GSAK that help with managing the caches on your GPS. They are worth a look. I tried Basecamp, but did not like it nearly as much as GSAK.

Wow this was a ROUGH problem. Garmin and Microsoft are not playing nice with each other. I have Windows 7 (64-bit) and IE 11. After a couple hours, I have my solution and the Garmin Communicator works.

1. I had accidently installed the 32-bit version of the Garmin Communicator. I un-installed it and installed the 64-bit version of the Garmin Communicator.

2. Added geocaching.com to the Compatibility View Settings in IE 11.

3. Logged out of geocaching.com and closed IE.

4. Re-opened IE and logged back into geocaching.com.

5. Everything works fine now.

Maybe this will help someone.

Firefox (and Chrome) are on the fast-track for updates. Occasionally, new versions of the software break plugins, which sometimes just get disabled, and sometimes become incompatible, in which case there is usually a new version of the plugin to install as well.

Make sure your Garmin Communicator is in fact enabled and up to date.

Edited by mineral2

Cannot download to gpsr: three garmins and a Delorme. Latest plugins loaded, still not action. Whatz up?

[i just posted this to a different thread, but it seems more appropriate here.]

A few more thoughts on the "Send to GPS" function.

1. All the communicator does (for any brand of GPS) is copy a one cache GPX file to the right location on the GPS. If communicator is not working, all you have to do to work around it is hit the "GPX file" button (it's to the left of the "Send to GPS" button) and then copy the GPX file created to the GPS manually.

2. "Send to GPS" only sends the geocache, not the waypoints such as parking spots, trailheads and additional stages of the cache. To get those, use a PQ. You can only run five PQs per day, so preview the PQ before you set a date to run it. The easiest PQ can be done from the map screen. Set the map to include the caches that you want and click on "Save As Pocket Query" at the bottom of the left-side pop out.

3. Almost every GPS has a limit on the number of GPX files that it will read. It will not take long to exceed that limit loading one cache per file. Again, use PQs.

Wow this was a ROUGH problem. Garmin and Microsoft are not playing nice with each other. I have Windows 7 (64-bit) and IE 11. After a couple hours, I have my solution and the Garmin Communicator works.

1. I had accidently installed the 32-bit version of the Garmin Communicator. I un-installed it and installed the 64-bit version of the Garmin Communicator.

2. Added geocaching.com to the Compatibility View Settings in IE 11.

3. Logged out of geocaching.com and closed IE.

4. Re-opened IE and logged back into geocaching.com.

5. Everything works fine now.

Maybe this will help someone.

I am also having problems. I used to use IE but then have been using google chrome with my explorist gc gps. When I get to my cache I want to download I hit send to GPS and then the pop up pops up but the download button won't allow me to click on it...

Double check that when the pop-up opens, it opens on the Magellan tab.