Wello a GeoNub here!

Nysotonic

I just came to say hello!

I am new to geocaching and I have a few questions that I hope somebody could answer for me please... (well really only one question.) I was wondering if a gps is absolutely necessary for geocaching? Also, if it is what kind of gps will I need? Could I just use a car gps? I don't really have any money to put down for a gps right now.

Hello,

A GPS is not necessary to find geocaches. Many cachers have found caches without one.

Do you have a smart phone? If so, check out the apps.

You can use a car gps if it lets you switch to pedestrian mode (otherwise, it will try to keep you on the road).

If you want to look at a GPS, check out ebay and even the forum here GPS Garage Sale. The Magellan explorist GC is rather inexpensive new.

Have fun!

In an urban environment it is often not difficult to find caches without a GPS. If you study the Geocaching map in satellite view, it is usually pretty easy to pick out the particular object wherein/on the cache may be hidden. A lone tree in a park, a lamp post in the middle of a parking lot, that sort of thing. Caches are seldom hidden in wide open spaces devoid of any landmarks....they're usually in/on/under/on top of/behind some nearby object.

Caches out in the woods are a different story....the satellite view will just show you a wide swath of green. You'd pretty much have to have a GPS.

I don't really have any money to put down for a gps right now.

Really? How much does one cost? $500? $600? Yup, higher end units can cost hundreds, but you can get a basic GPS for under $100, new. Even cheaper used.

It bugs me when people say they can't afford one. People can spend $700 a week on smoking, or drinking. Buy your lunch everyday? That's easily $80 a week. There's always something people spend money on. It's not that you don't have the money, it's that you don't want to spend the money. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way.

I don't really have any money to put down for a gps right now.

Really? How much does one cost? $500? $600? Yup, higher end units can cost hundreds, but you can get a basic GPS for under $100, new. Even cheaper used.

It bugs me when people say they can't afford one. People can spend $700 a week on smoking, or drinking. Buy your lunch everyday? That's easily $80 a week. There's always something people spend money on. It's not that you don't have the money, it's that you don't want to spend the money. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way.

You are right. Most of the basic gps are really inexpensive. I must have been overwhelmed by the over priced gps that are on amazon and bestbuy. I think i'll buy one. However, I have to find one in a comfortable price range.

I recommend that you at least get the app, it is possible without a form of GPS, but if you really want to enjoy and take the sport seriously (like me) I would recommend a GPS so you can do multi caches, puzzles etc.
For the record, you can do puzzles, multi-caches, etc., without a GPS receiver.

Stick with what you have for now, and if you think you'll be sticking with the hobby check into the various GPSs that are available. I started out with a cheaper one, had a small screen but it was fine to start with and was paperless. I now have a Garmin as the old one started to misbehave....a lot!

Hope you do like this hobby, and welcome!

Well, I think I am going to try both ways! :)

I believe it is slightly a waste of money to buy a gps if I am not sure if i don't have a clue if I like this hobby or not yet.

A car sat-nav can do the job, especially if it allows you to navigate off road.

It's not easy, but is do-able.

In your early days a lot of it is 'getting your eye in' to know where -and how- caches are hidden.

With a car sat-nav expect it to be difficult.

However, having said that, a lot of my finds are with the car sat-nav, but using my knowledge -cache sense- that I've gained over the years.