Got a shiny new Oregon 600

sviking

Cool unit. Nice screen. So-so battery life, which was expected. Not expected was the accuracy and tracking sucks compared to my much older 60CSx. Jury's still out on whether it goes back or not. Thank heavens for 100% no questions asked return policies. Going to be taking it on a long trip very soon and that may or may not be the final nail in the coffin. <_<

Cool unit. Nice screen. So-so battery life, which was expected. Not expected was the accuracy and tracking sucks compared to my much older 60CSx. Jury's still out on whether it goes back or not. Thank heavens for 100% no questions asked return policies. Going to be taking it on a long trip very soon and that may or may not be the final nail in the coffin. <_<

I am in a similar position. I like its feel and display of the Oregon but my iphone has been getting me closer. A trip next month may decide the matter.

Make sure you have the latest software via WebUpdater (3.60)

I have found the accuracy of my Oregon 650 to be excellent, though it does seem to take a few seconds longer than my old 60 Csx to find GZ. In my opinion, the paperless features and the convenience of having unlimited caches stored on the unit and the fast satellite acquisition times more than make up for that. It's a little different, but once you get to use all of the added features, I think you'll like it.

Had one for a week and have found it really accurate and a joy to use. Battery life is only at about 8 hrs. It is as accurate as my iPhone5S and with GLONASS activated shows an accuracy of < 4 m. It certainly puts you on or around GZ. Really like the functionality and ability to personalise. Stick with it.

Great suggestion and that's the first thing I did after playing with it for a bit. I updated it and I believe the current firmware is V3.70.

I have found the accuracy of my Oregon 650 to be excellent, though it does seem to take a few seconds longer than my old 60 Csx to find GZ. In my opinion, the paperless features and the convenience of having unlimited caches stored on the unit and the fast satellite acquisition times more than make up for that. It's a little different, but once you get to use all of the added features, I think you'll like it.

I went on a long road trip this weekend from central AZ to the Salt Lake City area. It was on a tour bus, so I got to get VERY familiar with the unit since I didn't have to drive. I like it a lot more, now, and I think I'll be keeping it. I loaded all of Garmin's TOPO US 2008 and detail maps of AZ and UT from gpsfiledepot. The accuracy was pretty good even though altitude was a bit off at times from my 60CSx, which has always been very accurate. I cross-check it with the nearest TOPO contour line. Does anyone know if the Oregon 600 has pressure corrected altitude like the 60CSx or is it just straight GPS altitude?

Also, I figured how to get pretty good battery life with having the battery saver mode shut the entire screen down along with the backlight when it times out. About a day and a half or so on a set of Eneloops.

Edited by sviking

Great suggestion and that's the first thing I did after playing with it for a bit. I updated it and I believe the current firmware is V3.70.

DANGER! 3.70 has been withdrawn by Garmin. (It bricked some units)

If you already have 3.70 and it works (like me) stick with it. Otherwise, 3.60 is the current version until they release 3.80 sometime very soon...

The Oregon 6XX's do come with a barometric sensor, but I've never had much use for it while caching.

DANGER! 3.70 has been withdrawn by Garmin. (It bricked some units)

If you already have 3.70 and it works (like me) stick with it.

The only problem I noticed with V3.70 was a very long start up time once. I was about to turn it off and pull the batteries, but then it "worked normally" after that.