A finder complained my cache needed maintenance but it wasn't my cache

mykaat

A finder complained my cache needed maintenance but it wasn't my cache. He posted a photo which showed a totally different cache.

951c552d-0a99-416a-9056-65eeae38c60c.jpg

This is my cache, in good condition

20140207_082731.jpg

I have emailed him but not had a reply.

On checking the (very dry)log I cant find his name, he logged his find on 28-1-2014

20140207_082855.jpg

Is it okay to delete his log? He obviously did not find my cache.

You sent him an email, now delete the log. Not your problem if he doesn't read his email.

I'm sure this happens from time to time. I know that I have logged caches out of order by mistake at the end of a long day once or twice. And put an NM on the wrong cache. It happens.

The only thing I would be concerned about is whether this cacher found another container close to your cache that he mistook for yours. Is there any chance there's another container nearby that might confuse other seekers? I'm thinking the container the cacher found and photographed could be a throwdown.

--Larry

I was going to suggest that maybe an archived cache was nearby and the person found that container instead of yours. But, I checked, found the cache of yours that's at issue, and there has never been another cache (even the final of a multi or puzzle) anywhere near yours (100m). So, I diagnose this as a mistaken log due to mixing up or mis-entering GC Codes.

The only thing I would be concerned about is whether this cacher found another container close to your cache that he mistook for yours. Is there any chance there's another container nearby that might confuse other seekers? I'm thinking the container the cacher found and photographed could be a throwdown.

--Larry

By logs, it was muggled and replaced at least twice.

Maybe an older container?

--Larry

By logs, it was muggled and replaced at least twice.

Maybe an older container?

I don't recognize the type of container, and there is almost nowhere else in the vicinity to hide a cache

You sent him an email, now delete the log. Not your problem if he doesn't read his email.

I'm sure this happens from time to time. I know that I have logged caches out of order by mistake at the end of a long day once or twice. And put an NM on the wrong cache. It happens.

I've deleted his log now. :)

I'd definitely do a more thorough search of the area just incase there is a throw-down somewhere nearby.

Always a chance someone may not have been able to find your cache in the past and has put a replacement down so they could claim a find, the guy may have found a throw-down if that's the case.

Also, go through the logs, if there are any others which don't appear on the logbook but which are logged online then it may indicate a much higher chance that there may be a throw-down nearby. If so, message those people and double check see if they remember what the container looked like.

I checked, found the cache of yours that's at issue, and there has never been another cache (even the final of a multi or puzzle) anywhere near yours (100m).

Other listing platforms exist...we have such a situation here: two boxes just 25m away from each other - the one listed on GS, the other somewhere else. Regularly confuses cachers and most don't even know they were logging the wrong one on their preferred platform.

May I suggest to check the box on-site? Then you can log a maintenance and the flag vanishes.

I checked, found the cache of yours that's at issue, and there has never been another cache (even the final of a multi or puzzle) anywhere near yours (100m).

Other listing platforms exist...we have such a situation here: two boxes just 25m away from each other - the one listed on GS, the other somewhere else. Regularly confuses cachers and most don't even know they were logging the wrong one on their preferred platform.

May I suggest to check the box on-site? Then you can log a maintenance and the flag vanishes.

Yes, I checked it straight away, that's when I took my photos, as I was shocked by the state of the cache that was supposedly mine

Well, then maybe the cacher picked the wrong cache (yours) for the log...

Happened to me last weekend: I was totally confused about a log stating the "lock was damaged". My cache hasn't a lock. What to hell did he try to say? Some strange hint something isn't OK with my Lock'n'lock box?

I was on-call and not able to get out to the cache. Some hours later I was released when I checked my cache listing again and found he just deleted his log on my cache and put it in some other.

If your cache is OK, I would write a note (or a "performed maintenance") after the obvious bogus log stating that there may be a misunderstanding and let it be.