How to SEE caches along a route

dkcrooby

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been posted but I've made a route and downloaded it to my gps. All I'm trying to do is view the caches along this route online but I have no idea how. Whatever I've tried, I just can't seem to get it to show me.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

I am very interested in this as well, I found this:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx

And I tried it out with the map on this website, but I'm not having any luck. I will be traveling from Miami, FL to Cleveland, GA and it says my route is too long and I didn't see an option to find geocaches along the route.

From that screen click Create a Route. Type in your locations to and from. You will probably have to make two routes if it is too long.

Creating a route, in and of itself, does not produce caches. You need to run a Pocket Query of that route in order to see the caches.

It is the PQ that picks up the caches to be shown.

You may, if you so desire, set up the query but leave the day-of-the-week to run unchecked and submit the query that way. A preview of that proposed query is immediately available and it will show you those caches along the route (a link immediately beneath the route map).

Because the query did not yet run (remember, it is a preview only), it will not count against your 5/day PQ limit. This way, you can return to that proposed query and adjust the parameters (route width, numbers and types of caches, etc.), resubmit as before and check out that proposed query return. Once happy with the projected results, return to that query page, check the day-of-the-week to run and submit the query for real this time.

You are limited to 500 miles (800 km) in route length. You may have to create "legs" to get 'er done.

@ tekmaster5000: You need to be a Premium Member in order to use routes and Pocket Queries. I do not see that you are PM.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks for your help. I just purchased the premium membership. I don't quite understand the concept of the days of the week. I understand that if I don't choose one that it only generates a preview.

So now I am looking through the preview and filtering through the ones I want to visit along my route, and I have bookmarked them. So how do I go about seeing those bookmarked ones on my geocaching app?

Thanks!

Which geocaching app are you using?

You can think of the Pocket Query process as having three steps:

1. Create the PQ - by entering the search criteria (attributes, difficulty, terrain, type, size, etc.)

2. Run the PQ - by choosing a day for the server to use the search criteria to produce a list of caches.

3. Download the PQ - by copying a file with a list of caches from the server to your device.

If you're using Groundspeak's Geocaching app, then you should have an option in the app somewhere that allows you to see a list of the available PQ files, and to download one of those files automatically. If you're using a dedicated handheld GPS receiver, then you can connect it to a computer with a USB cable, then copy the file from the server to the computer, and then copy it from the computer to the device (the same way you can copy files to USB thumb drives and similar devices).

Hi everyone.

Thanks Back40. I now see what you mean, after having created the pocket query again.

Gitchee-Gummee: Thanks to you too. I'll leave the day unchecked next time so I can go back to it if I want to before downloading.

No problem Tekmaster. ;-) I did exactly what you did by bookmarking them and then making a Pocket Query.

I'm now very happy that it's all working nicely. :-)

Thanks for your help. I just purchased the premium membership. I don't quite understand the concept of the days of the week. I understand that if I don't choose one that it only generates a preview.

So now I am looking through the preview and filtering through the ones I want to visit along my route, and I have bookmarked them. So how do I go about seeing those bookmarked ones on my geocaching app?

Thanks!

The reason for having to mark the day of the week that you want to run, is that some folks have the same PQ set to run automatically every week. If you're like me and always go caching in different places there's no reason to do this, but if you live in a very cache-dense, busy area that gets new caches published frequently, you might want to run the same PQ every week just to load an up-to-date set of caches to your device.

If you just want to run the PQ once, right now, select today as the day to run and select the option to run once then delete.

Edited by Chief301