Creating a I <3 Lab Cache

I have created a I <3 Geocaching Lab Cache and the coordinates keep changing from what I enter. The map datum and the entered coordinates have changed. Anyone else having map or coordinates issues? :unsure:

Update: I may have been able to edit my I <3 Geocaching Lab Cache coordinates, so far so good. At least they are/were corrected, but I'm afraid to look now. :anicute:

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

I have created a I <3 Geocaching Lab Cache and the coordinates keep changing from what I enter. The map datum and the entered coordinates have changed. Anyone else having map or coordinates issues? :unsure:

Update: I may have been able to edit my I <3 Geocaching Lab Cache coordinates, so far so good. At least they are/were corrected, but I'm afraid to look now. :anicute:

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I just found the map interface to be non-intuitive. I assumed that if I clicked on the map it would drop a pin at that location. When I entered the name of the building where I wanted the coordinates it dropped a pin right in the middle of the building. I just checked by going to http://www.geocaching.com/iheartgeocaching/ and clicking on the Get Started button, that it recognized that I had created a Lab Cache and would let me test it. The pin on the map and the coordinates had not changed.

The only other technical glitch that I noticed, but test it since I already created a lab cache was that when I tried clicking my name in the upper right corner to get out of the form it wasn't going anywhere. I notice that on the Test Mode page that if I click on my user name in the upper right hand corner there's a "View Your Logs" link and that takes me to a page at https://labs.geocaching.com/Logs and that page indicates that I have no logs. Someone was asking if a lab cache creator would be able to see a log from the finder and it looks like "there's a page for that" but since the lab cache I created hasn't been found (I haven't shared the URL with anyone and haven't placed the code word at the specified location) so I don't know if a finder writes a log or not.

I initially thought that a finder of a lab cache would get an icon. My friend is really into these things so i decided to go ahead and create a lab cache for her. Turns out i was wrong about the icon. She still had a good time finding the cache but did have trouble trying to log it on the pc. She had to go back to her phone and log it through it.

The only other thing i had problems figuring out was the usage of the map during creation. I too thought i could zoom in and place a pin or just type in coordinates but neither of these worked. Not sure what i was doing wrong and i never did get any coordinates put in.

I initially thought that a finder of a lab cache would get an icon. My friend is really into these things so i decided to go ahead and create a lab cache for her. Turns out i was wrong about the icon.

There must have been a mistake involved. The finders do get an icon. I've seen it in the profile of some people who have done no other lab cache.

It does not appear in the profile of the hider, however.

I initially thought that a finder of a lab cache would get an icon. My friend is really into these things so i decided to go ahead and create a lab cache for her. Turns out i was wrong about the icon.

There must have been a mistake involved. The finders do get an icon. I've seen it in the profile of some people who have done no other lab cache.

It does not appear in the profile of the hider, however.

Didn't a lackey mention (in one of the many lab cache threads) that tehre was a coding issue with the icons?

The map datum and the entered coordinates have changed. Anyone else having map or coordinates issues? :unsure:

This issue is due to Google Map behavior, which wants to snap markers to known/named locations. (FYI, there is no change of map datum, only of coordinate format to decimal degrees.)

If you enter coordinates and do not click "View on Map," there will be no shifting of your coordinates. You can also drag the marker and it will "stick". It's only when you enter a location and ask for geocoding by clicking on the "View" button that your location will move.

The team has known of this behavior for a while and is working to correct it, but wasn't able to get a solution in place prior to this promotion.

The map datum and the entered coordinates have changed. Anyone else having map or coordinates issues? :unsure:

This issue is due to Google Map behavior, which wants to snap markers to known/named locations. (FYI, there is no change of map datum, only of coordinate format to decimal degrees.)

If you enter coordinates and do not click "View on Map," there will be no shifting of your coordinates. You can also drag the marker and it will "stick". It's only when you enter a location and ask for geocoding by clicking on the "View" button that your location will move.

The team has known of this behavior for a while and is working to correct it, but wasn't able to get a solution in place prior to this promotion.

Thanks for explaining. It all makes sense now, and everything seems to be working better. :) I like the idea of these new I <3 caches, so hope they become a new cache type for PM's. B)

Anyone figure out how to add an image to the lab cache description area? I've tried standard html but all it does is post the actual code.

I've read that others have had problems with this as well. It seems to me that this new lab cache would have been a good opportunity for them to experiment with a WYSIWYG editor for cache listings.

Anyone figure out how to add an image to the lab cache description area? I've tried standard html but all it does is post the actual code.

I've read that others have had problems with this as well. It seems to me that this new lab cache would have been a good opportunity for them to experiment with a WYSIWYG editor for cache listings.

Did anyone manage to add an image directly to the description at all? I got the impression that images are unwanted.

Did anyone manage to add an image directly to the description at all? I got the impression that images are unwanted.

That may be a good thing to manage I >3 caches from Waymarks and still call them both Virtual caches? :D Back in the day before guideline changes I Waymarked quite a few EarthCaches. B) Hopefully the I <3 caches will be a sucess for Groundspeak.

I successfully created a LAB Cache for one of my buddies. Since there was no guidance at all through the the whole process I was pretty amazed how easily I could manage my first LAB Cache. My buddy found and logged it and that made me think I should build another LAB Cache for another mate. Hmmmm … when I pushed the "Get Started" button I realized that I got the same link and that all fields were filled with the information of my first LAB Cache.

So … is the idea of LAB Caches that you only create a single one? Did anyone make comparable experiences or better can offer a solution?