Category proposal

Having walked the streets of the next biggest town, and remembering the different proposals here, I got ideas for some possible interesting categories, that would like to post for discussion:

1. Countdown Traffic Lights

Explanation: In Hamburg, there are at least 2 traffic lights (one for pedestrians and one for cars) that have an additional digital segment showing the seconds till the next green phase, and in cause of the vehicle traffic lights, also the duration of the phase itself. Waiting at these traffic lights feels much more relaxed as you donÄt have to be on your toes waiting for the green light, as you can just take a watch at the ticking down digitial numbers and know immideatly when the green phase starts.

I have heard that other countries have similar ideas, some use numbers, others use ticking down circles or even abstract symbols for the remaining time (I saw an idea of a digital sandclock).

Possible variables could be style of the clock (digital numbers, circles, moving hands, others), traffic lights for pedestrians or vehicles or both, how long you have to wait between phases (indicated by the clock). An no, I don't think that the categoy "Artistic Neon Signs" would work.

2. Bicycle Tube Vending Automatons

Explanation: In the last years, it has become a common sight both in bigger cities around germany but also in the outskirts, to see cigarette vending automatons refurbished to give out bicycle tubes. Many are often found next to bicycle shops or bike shelters, but there are also examples of these vending machines along popular bike trails, for the case you get a flat tire.

Example image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Fahrradschlauch_Automat.jpg

3. Outlet Sales / Factory Outlet

Explanation: Ok, this category is kinda general. The first idea came to me when I was shopping at my most favorite factory outlet at a cookie factory. Here you can buy so called "Grade B ware" for cheaper prices as in stores. But a cookie outlet or cookie factory category might be too exclusive, so I thought why not have a Outlet category for everything from clothing and accessories to food or body care products. I have treid but did not find such a category yet.

What is a good category? We have the four criteria: "Global" and "Redundant" are no problem, they are easily met by all of your ideas, I think. "Prevalence" probably too, I am not sure about other parts of the world, but where I live, it fits.

"Interesting or Informative": Here we have a big problem. Would anyone enjoy these categories? No doubt, to easily increase posting or visiting numbers, but that's true for any potential category you can think of, so this reason does not count. Would anyone make a special trip and enjoy watching these locations and take pictures if they are no categories? Would you or any of your friends make a special trip to watch a traffic light with bells and whistles? I don't think so. Would you stop and watch and enjoy the sight when cycling by a tube vending machine when your tires are in excellent condition? Probably not? Would you like to visit a outlet store just to enjoy the structure and learn something about it, without buying anything? Would you?

So in my opinion all three ideas would not be great categories. You can argue that there are already categories that are just as weak. But that's exactly the point, we already have too much of those, new categories should be better, and not filling gaps in the very bottom segment.

This is just the way I see it. If you can convince enough members of the community that your ideas are worth it to develop a category, then it's fine. But they will not get my vote.

Edited by fi67

Having walked the streets of the next biggest town, and remembering the different proposals here, I got ideas for some possible interesting categories, that would like to post for discussion:

1. Countdown Traffic Lights

2. Bicycle Tube Vending Automatons

3. Outlet Sales / Factory Outlet

I'll be honest - and this is just my subjective view:

1. not interesting at all, very unlikely to become category

2. okay, good idea, but too limited .. I would prefer to call it like 'self-service repair stations' and accept much wider variety of such objects under one umbrella. Don't we have something similar already?

3. not interesting to me, but potentially viable after good prep work

About nº two, what if something like "Self-service bike stations" and accept all kind of self-service dedicated bike stuff that isn´t covered by other bike categories?

I dont know many things that would be accepted around here but I know three or four. A couple self-services DEDICATED bike washers and a water/air DEDICATED station (like those for cars but along a bike trail).

Can make a good categorie, i think.

I am in agreement with fi67 on these.

For me:

Countdown traffic lights - very common, and mundane. Though the ones here are the opposite, they are really countdowns more for pedestrians to know how long they have until it turns red.

Bicycle tube vending machines - haven't seen one but have never looked for one either.

Outlet store etc - not in favor of any commercial category except purely independent small shop etc.

I am in agreement with fi67 on these.

For me:

Countdown traffic lights - very common, and mundane. Though the ones here are the opposite, they are really countdowns more for pedestrians to know how long they have until it turns red.

Bicycle tube vending machines - haven't seen one but have never looked for one either.

Outlet store etc - not in favor of any commercial category except purely independent small shop etc.

I have to second BruceS's post. (is that grammatically correct?) (or should it be BruceS'?)

The only one that I think could be interesting would be the vending machine idea - only if it were vending machines that have "odd" items. I mentioned previously about a vending machine that had worms, shrimp and fishing tackle. But the problem here would be to define "odd".

A side note: We are seeing a lot of activity coming from our German Waymarkers lately. Glad to see it. I used to think that only people in the U.S. were active in Waymarking...