Found a lab cache?

I see the "personal nature" and the "taking home" are part of the same thing. Because the cache was personal it allowed you the flexibility to take it home, whereas a "normal" cache would have to be worked on in the field in case someone else came to look for it in the meantime.

Ah.

It's a fair point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Would you say then that in measuring the creativity of any lab cache and comparing it with / differentiating it from the existing cache types as a means of evaluating its individual merits, that all creative aspects arising from its indvidual (or personal if you prefer) nature should simply be lumped together into a single mass described as the only difference?

Does that sound like a constructive approach to you?

I see the "personal nature" and the "taking home" are part of the same thing. Because the cache was personal it allowed you the flexibility to take it home, whereas a "normal" cache would have to be worked on in the field in case someone else came to look for it in the meantime.

Ah.

It's a fair point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Would you say then that in measuring the creativity of any lab cache and comparing it with / differentiating it from the existing cache types as a means of evaluating its individual merits, that all creative aspects arising from its indvidual (or personal if you prefer) nature should simply be lumped together into a single mass described as the only difference?

Does that sound like a constructive approach to you?

I'm not trying to develop an approach to anything. I'm just saying I think creativity is enhanced because of the personal nature of the "1 <3 Geocaching" experiment as it allows for more flexibility than one would have when it comes to designing a cache meant for the masses.

I'm not trying to develop an approach to anything. I'm just saying I think creativity is enhanced because of the personal nature of the "1 <3 Geocaching" experiment as it allows for more flexibility than one would have when it comes to designing a cache meant for the masses.

In which case I misunderstood your post. Sorry about that :unsure:

That is the best video ever! For ours we set up one next to a puzzle that I know the other cacher has been working on. (ours by the way) Then put in a note to help them find it. Then they placed one for us to help with a couple of challenges. They placed it next to a cemetery. That helped with one challenge then they added in some symbols to help with another challenge they own. The cache was big with a bunch of containers for us to hide. The extra cool part was the other cacher found it on his 365th day of his streak. He found others that day but still made it extra special.

Edited by WarNinjas

Mostly through local forums. People place a lab cache ... post it on the forums for others to seek ...

That's interesting that also for lab caches there are considerable local differences.

All the lab caches I have seen are private ones directed to a single person. Except for a lab cache in a French forum, I have not

encountered a single link to a lab cache.

It is such a pity that hardly anyone comes to this thread to tell about the plot of the lab cache he/she found or created.

For the general discussion we have other threads anyway.

That is the best video ever!

Well, that's probably again a matter of personal preference. I neither liked the video (to put it politely) nor would have been such a lab cache of any attraction to me. Locations which are unattractive to me, driving between them and then ending up at the house of a friend .... I can understand that the person who created the video and his children liked this experience (and this is the only thing that plays a role when it comes to a private cache), but this lab cache definitely would be nothing I would enjoy.

Cezanne

Well, that's probably again a matter of personal preference. I neither liked the video (to put it politely) nor would have been such a lab cache of any attraction to me. Locations which are unattractive to me, driving between them and then ending up at the house of a friend .... I can understand that the person who created the video and his children liked this experience (and this is the only thing that plays a role when it comes to a private cache), but this lab cache definitely would be nothing I would enjoy.

Cezanne

From post #6:

As a reminder, this thread is for sharing experiences about finding an I <3 Geocaching Lab Cache. If you actually found a Lab Cache, post here. If you have general questions or comments about the concept of the I <3 Geocaching Lab Caches, please post in this thread.

My post above does not fit into the other thread. It was about the specific lab cache experience shown in the video posted above (which reminded me of those awful sitcoms where all the time someone is laughing) and not about lab caches in general.

I think it makes sense to comment on posted experiences with specific lab caches also in thread as we can hardly open up a thread for each single lab cache.

Maybe tomorrow a larger number of lab caches will pop up and maybe then next week there will be more experience reports available in this thread.

Edited by cezanne

My post above does not fit into the other thread. It was about the specific lab cache experience shown in the video posted above and not about lab caches in general.

I think it makes sense to comment on posted experiences with specific lab caches also in thread as we can hardly open up a thread for each single lab cache.

It doesn't fit here either - and I know how important it is to you to stay on topic :)

And given how much you seem not to like about the game I think we can all save time by simply assuming same for most examples.

You could always get someone to set up a lab cache that you do like and then write about it here. Or even go out and find one that you don't like. Writing about either experience here would at least be on topic :ph34r:

It doesn't fit here either

I'm not convinced that comments to the reports about posted experiences do not fit here (where else? - comments without the experience reports make no sense).

You did not reply to those who replied by "Nice idea" or "cool" to some of the posted ideas.

My post was the reaction to the comment "Best video ever".

I did not comment on the other posted experiences and it is not true that I have a general dislike for the posted ideas. For example I liked the approach taken by Bruce in his setup for a lab cache for lumbricus and also what some others who are into Waymarking reported had some appeal to me.

Cezanne

So far from the people that have posted finds in this thread the thing that make lab caches special is the "container". The actual finding could all have been done using the current multi or puzzle cache types. Anyone know of a any new method of actually locating a "cache" instead of using methods that are already available?

So far from the people that have posted finds in this thread the thing that make lab caches special is the "container". The actual finding could all have been done using the current multi or puzzle cache types. Anyone know of a any new method of actually locating a "cache" instead of using methods that are already available?

See Post #28

Definitely could not be found or hidden using any of the existing methods.

See Post #28

Definitely could not be found or hidden using any of the existing methods.

Kind of a vehicle travel bug or an old time locationless type of cache. Probably the best one that has been posted here.

So, for the two examples presented by LFC4eva and Team Microdot, the only difference between a traditional type of cache and the lab cache, is the "personal" nature?

No.

Can you expand on that "no"?

Yes. I thought the most obvious difference was that usually caches can't be taken home.

But as far as the end result, there's not much difference. THe fiunder found a box, and had to open it to claim the find. The lab cache just let them do it in the comfort of their own home.

If you like.

Not sure what your objective is.

If it's to claim that one thing is exactly like a bunch of other things by ignoring the differences between them I reckon you'll succeed :)

I'm just trying to figure out how the lab caches allow for great creativity in the cache creation process.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few things:

1.) I don't have to worry about proximity issues.

2.) I don't have to worry about the "no vacation caches" guideline.

3.) I don't have to worry about long term maintenance issues.

4. You can make the finder enter a business

5. You can make the finder interact with a person to get the code

6. You can have a creative "FTF Prize". I put candy in a plastic heart. The GC Blog video has an engagement ring.

7. You can pick who gets the Prize.

2.) I don't have to worry about the "no vacation caches" guideline.

3.) I don't have to worry about long term maintenance issues.

Might depend on how you have the keyword setup. Say it is the name of the business and that business changes names, but if you aren't local you may not be realize that it changed. Or if a name on a plaque but the plaque is removed. If lab caches continue to always be one offs then I would agree with those 2 statements but if they become normal caches, there still can be issues that would need to be addressed with maintenance.

6. You can have a creative "FTF Prize". I put candy in a plastic heart. The GC Blog video has an engagement ring.

This can still be a bad idea to put food out. The person that the prize is intended for may take a couple of days to actually attempt the cache so you might have some unexpected critters that find it first and destroy the cache.

That is the best video ever! For ours we set up one next to a puzzle that I know the other cacher has been working on. (ours by the way) Then put in a note to help them find it. Then they placed one for us to help with a couple of challenges. They placed it next to a cemetery. That helped with one challenge then they added in some symbols to help with another challenge they own. The cache was big with a bunch of containers for us to hide. The extra cool part was the other cacher found it on his 365th day of his streak. He found others that day but still made it extra special.

Thanks!

I liked the video. Looked like a guy having fun with the game geocaching and his kids. It doesn't get any better then that and what it is all about (for me anyways) It is also about making friends who play the game. Looks like he had a good friend there that didn't just say come on over and I will give you the code. He had other places set up but then wanted to hang out after.

I'm with you actually as that is not the cache for me. I don't want to go hang out at someones house most likely but I also think this friend knows him and knows that would be something they would all enjoy. I think that is part of the lab cache experience as I'm sure he wouldn't have placed that for everyone to come over but knew it was cool for this one guy.

Cezanne

I guess I'm not into blogging or vlogging. After (what? 12 seconds?) I turned the video off. Okay. Woody Jr can stick out his tongue at the world. Wow!

Boring! I guess I'm not into vlogging. Boring!

Cezanne

I guess I'm not into blogging or vlogging. After (what? 12 seconds?) I turned the video off. Okay. Woody Jr can stick out his tongue at the world. Wow!

C'mon man? The topic was to share. The video was graciously shared with, I'm sure, no expectation of critique.

Cezanne

C'mon man? The topic was to share. The video was graciously shared with, I'm sure, no expectation of critique.

Thanks for the the nice words "Sharks and Bean". After 3 years of putting ourselves out there, sharing our adventures for the world we are pretty used to critique. It comes with the territory.

BTW, if you (Harry Dolphin) turned off the video at that point then you missed out on the unique and fun geocaching experience we had. Maybe you will enjoy the lab cache that I hide for theGCDoc. I will share it in this thread as well. Happy Caching!

:-)

Edited by geocachingvlogger

I've created a labcache that simply instructs my wife to download a Wherigo that I built for her birthday. The only problem is that she keeps buying herself the presents that I sent up as items in the Wherigo. Sigh. It is set up for this friday and I'll let you know how it goes. It's my first Wherigo and they are really not as hard as I thought to make.

On a side note, like our photo so we can win a surfboard :P

WOW! I cant understand why people are not saying cool video or something to geocachingvlogger? The topic is "Found a lab cache? How is it?" That video is worth over 1000 words on how it was. I know if I had put that much time into making a video of our lab cache with my kids (well daughter) I would have expected more.

I cant understand why people are not saying cool video or something to geocachingvlogger? The topic is "Found a lab cache? How is it?" That video is worth over 1000 words on how it was. I know if I had put that much time into making a video of our lab cache with my kids (well daughter) I would have expected more.

It's simply that the styles people prefer and even more what they expect from geocaching differ so much. I'm sure that geocachingvlogger and his children had fun with the lab cache and also that creating the video took time and effort. Personally, I would have preferred a few sentences about the experience to this type of video by far - so while the video is worth over 1000 words for you, it isn't for me. I watched it until the end just to know the whole story, but I need to admit that the video made me quite nervous and that I did not enjoy watching it. I cannot change this - it is not a critique with respect to the video, it is simply a fact. We are not all the same. What's funny to some, is annoying to others.

When I thought about the potential for lab caches, topics that came to my mind were for example a tour to so-called Stolpersteine (stumbling blocks) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolperstein and other places which are connected in some way to the Holocaust. I guess you can easily imagine that such ideas do not fit at all with the kind of fun and game concept of geocaching that many seem to have in mind. Still such cache backgrounds are nothing uncommon in my area (for conventional caches) and people like to visit such caches.

Cezanne

WOW! I cant understand why people are not saying cool video or something to geocachingvlogger? The topic is "Found a lab cache? How is it?" That video is worth over 1000 words on how it was. I know if I had put that much time into making a video of our lab cache with my kids (well daughter) I would have expected more.

Time and effort don't matter. What matters most are my own personal preferences. All others can suck eggs. Welcome to the Selfish 2010's.

**I have a lab cache to find. I was going to go today, but there's yet another snow event going on. I know what it is, though - a traditional cache (go to these coords, find a standard container), nothing uber creative. And that's okay. I'm glad the hider participated in our lab cache swap.

Dumbest question ever, but: how do we log this? Tried using GSAK to push it to the Oregon, log it found there, and then jack the Oregon into the PC to access field notes...not there. Pushed it over to the Nook using the url, and only getting the test page, same as on the PC. thx

When you enter the code word, it is logged. That can only be done from the web page found at the URL provided. There are no Field Notes and no Comments, just a Found It Message when logged.

If you are getting the test page, you are on your own Lab Cache. You can only log it from a different account.

I cant understand why people are not saying cool video or something to geocachingvlogger? The topic is "Found a lab cache? How is it?" That video is worth over 1000 words on how it was. I know if I had put that much time into making a video of our lab cache with my kids (well daughter) I would have expected more.

It's simply that the styles people prefer and even more what they expect from geocaching differ so much. I'm sure that geocachingvlogger and his children had fun with the lab cache and also that creating the video took time and effort. Personally, I would have preferred a few sentences about the experience to this type of video by far - so while the video is worth over 1000 words for you, it isn't for me. I watched it until the end just to know the whole story, but I need to admit that the video made me quite nervous and that I did not enjoy watching it. I cannot change this - it is not a critique with respect to the video, it is simply a fact. We are not all the same. What's funny to some, is annoying to others.

When I thought about the potential for lab caches, topics that came to my mind were for example a tour to so-called Stolpersteine (stumbling blocks) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolperstein and other places which are connected in some way to the Holocaust. I guess you can easily imagine that such ideas do not fit at all with the kind of fun and game concept of geocaching that many seem to have in mind. Still such cache backgrounds are nothing uncommon in my area (for conventional caches) and people like to visit such caches.

Cool! Thanks for explaining. I know we are not all the same. I understand you not enjoying the video and you have every right not to. I liked it and thought it was cool to see someone enjoying caching with there kids but I can also see how others might not like it. There are many who play this game and I am glad for that as it keeps it interesting with different ways to play and different stuff to find. If we were all the same it would get boring with all the same stuff to find.

Cezanne

Dumbest question ever, but: how do we log this? Tried using GSAK to push it to the Oregon, log it found there, and then jack the Oregon into the PC to access field notes...not there. Pushed it over to the Nook using the url, and only getting the test page, same as on the PC. thx

When you enter the code word, it is logged. That can only be done from the web page found at the URL provided. There are no Field Notes and no Comments, just a Found It Message when logged.

If you are getting the test page, you are on your own Lab Cache. You can only log it from a different account.

oops...oh well. thx