Roses are Red, Waymarkers are Blue?

jhuoni

I (heart) Geocaching

Roses are red. Ammo cans are green…

So it turns out we're not so good at poetry. Instead, Geocaching Labs is beta testing a new way to show some love through geocaching. Premium Members can create a customized, temporary Lab Cache for one special person. Since this is a test of a potential new feature, we'd love to hear your feedback while sitting back and admiring your creativity.

You can learn more about this Geocaching Labs beta test on The Geocaching Blog.

Geocachers get a Valentines Day Treat, Waymarkers get SEATTLE?

No sour grapes here, I just wonder why Waymarking doesn't get the attention that Geocaching gets.

Don't worry. I've already made my prediction that Lab Caches will follow Waymarking to the Groundspeak scrapheap of "better mistakes".

TPTB have a short attention span. They come up with ideas to expand the reach of Groundspeak, Inc. but most of the time when things don't go as expected they drop their plans.

When Waymarking was begun it was not only a solution for the problems of locationless and virtual caches, but a whole new platform where new ideas for GPS based adventures could be tried out. Then new database was supposed to be more scalable and robust then the geocache database. There were even hints that it would form the basis of Geocaching 2.0 with the existing caches moved to special categories that would be accessed from Geocaching.com while waymarks and other not physical caches would be accessed from Waymarking.com. Perhaps, we were told, users could customize their experience and combine their favorite types of physical caches along with their favorite categories of waymarks, and access them through one site.

Of course, none of this happened. Instead TPTB decided to invest their efforts on developing smartphone apps to attract more geocachers. That left Waymarking to the waymarkers and made the promises of new Waymarking features vanish, along with the ability to combine Waymarking and geocaching.

The odd part of the I <3 Geocaching promotion, is that there are some lackeys who are talking as if Geocaching Labs is the new Geocaching 2.0, with new features being planed and ultimately the current Geocaching.com data being moved there. Nothing about whether Waymarking will get a facelift as part of this. However, given Groundspeak's track record, I'm not expecting anything to come of this.