Contradicting WM guidelines!

Dear friends,

in the wake of a Challenge geocache, the volunteer colleague in charge found out that there are contradicting guidelines at WM with regard to the question of how to deal with pictures: While the general guidelines state that the uploading of any picture is just optional, almost all groups/categories require at least one photo to log a WM visited in full accordance with all regulations. In other words, trolls might fake log even hundreds of WMs that way since the general rules breach the group/category rules, don't they? Have you guys ever been aware of this contradiction, I wonder (although I hope that this stays an academic issue only)?

Can I upload images to my visit?

Yes. After you submit your visit you'll have the option to upload an image. If you decide afterwards to upload an image or edit your visit you can always return later to do so.

It's not necessary to cite several group guidelines but in most them you'll find statements like in the the "Movie Locations" section:

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

New logs for waymarks must include a photo of the location. The photo should try and match, to the extent possible, the original present-day photo posted for the waymark.

Take care,

alsterdrache

Edited by alsterdrache

I do not see any contradiction at all.

The general guidelines are not rules, they just explain how something is done, technically. And they are not even correct; you cannot edit your visit later than one hour after you logged it. But of course, you can (technically) log a visit without uploading a picture.

The visit rules are the ones stated by the category owners. Some require pictures, some require additional information, some not. They are the rules to follow, and there are no general rules that could break these.

I do not see any contradiction at all.

The general guidelines are not rules, they just explain how something is done, technically. And they are not even correct; you cannot edit your visit later than one hour after you logged it. But of course, you can (technically) log a visit without uploading a picture.

The visit rules are the ones stated by the category owners. Some require pictures, some require additional information, some not. They are the rules to follow, and there are no general rules that could break these.

I agree with fi67, the "option" is to upload a picture now, or upload a picture later. I have, on a number of occasions, logged a visit to a waymark, only to remember that my "cache" of photos was on a different computer - doh! This didn't invalidate my visit, I could still log a visit without the picture, it just meant that I had to go back in on my other computer and upload the picture.

Personally, I think you are reading the wrong meaning into "option" in the general guidelines. I think that it means option in the computer usage sense, not in the rules sense ("optional"). From a purely computer usage viewpoint, you can click on the link to upload an image, or later you can upload an image. These statements have nothing to do with the requirements: either general or specific to a category. It is just telling you how to use the web page.

When taking into conjunction with the category requirements, the web page Upload Image "option" may not be "optional". ;)

Edited by MountainWoods

That's a fair question.

My personal opinion is that uploading photos IS optional. If I don't want to upload a photo, I don't have to. But if I want to post or visit a waymark in a category that requires it, I have to upload a photo. If I didn't want to upload photos, I would ignore categories that require it.

I know this subject has been discussed in the forums before, but I'm not skilled enough to locate it.

Edited by Max and 99

MountainWoods is correct, I believe. The general guidelines do NOT say that uploading an image is "optional." You are misquoting the text! Here, "option" means "opportunity" in a functional sense. It has nothing at all to do with requirements.

The requirements to post a visit log for a waymark are set individually for each category. Many do require a photo, others do not. Some require specific information, others do not. Even the enforcing of the stated requirements may be lax.

As for "trolls," probably another misnomer, we very rarely have what I call "armchair waymarkers" who log visits to waymarks that they haven't actually visited. They are usually easily spotted and reported. Then it is up to the creators of each waymark to delete them.

In this sense logging visits to waymarks is a lot looser than finding a geocache. It is a very different game, and there are many ways to play, most of them non-competitive.