Any GPS that allow manual entry of GPS coordinates?

rickslick

I have looked at several GPS units from the top 3 or 4 makers and have a simple question.

With all the features these units have, the one features I want is the ability to simply type in a GPS coordinate. I am now using a smart phone with geocache application to find and place caches. The smart phone gives decent coordinates but is not as precise as a decent GPS. When searching for caches, I would like to manually enter the published GPS coordinates into a GPS unit and use this to locate the cache in addition to my smart phone.

Can anyone give me a model that allows manual entry of GPS coordinates?

Thanks, Rick

Pretty much any GPS- including some automotive units will do it (Usually create/ project a waypoint or point of interest). My basic Sub $100 yellow etrex will do that. What you should be looking at is other features like paperless caching, the ability to add maps, built in camera, and others. There are many, many features, but you can easily get by with just paperless caching. I myself use the Magellan Explorist GC.

Why would you want to enter them manually when a PQ will do a thousand at a time accurately.

I pick and choose which caches I hit.

Even with the correct D/T, there's still many I probably wouldn't do.

After a week or so, some of those thousand at a time may have issues or not even be there any longer.

It's simply the way I choose to play.

Why would you want to enter them manually when a PQ will do a thousand at a time accurately.

Multicaches, field projections, field puzzles....

All of those,except possibly projection, will be handled by the feature of the GPS that let's you modify the coordinates of the cache you are seeking. In the current Garmin models you view the cache and select "Enter Next Stage." This keeps you in the cache display so you can view the description and hints. If you were to add a new waypoint for the info you would need to switch back and forth between the waypoint and cache.

edit to add caveat about projection

Edited by GeoTrekker26