Cache Size

sunset444

Need some input on this...If I have a micro cache container i.e. bison tube(log paper inside)but want to attach it to a regular size object (i.e. large bird decoy or even some other regular container) should I note the cache size as regular or micro? I'm thinking regular so they won't be looking for a micro although the log container is actually a micro)...thanks.

Cache size is normally based on the volume of the container. So in this case it would technically be a Micro.

I understand your concern with not wanting to mislead anyone on the size, but even if you have in mind you're searching for a micro wouldn't you notice the big bird decoy at GZ? I think it wouldn't take me long to zero in on that very out of place larger object and find the cache.

Another option would be just to list the size as Unknown....that way they'll keep their minds and eyes open for any possibility.

hello sunset,

I'd say it's really up to you. If you're wanting it to be a little bit more of a surprise, keeping it listed as a micro would be fun. If you want the description to be more specific then you could list it as a regular. It's really up to you.

I love the ammo can in the woods that's a micro. Very deceptive :)

Help Center

3.2. Containers Explained

micro: Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or smaller,
typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet
. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

Unless your fake animal has room and is water tight for swag and travelbugs, it should be listed as a micro. If you want people to easily find you cache, let them know that the micro is within something larger. Although if it's a fake animal, it sounds like that would be easy to see and most geocachers will recognize that it's likely the cache.

Here's one way to think of a micro in something larger. If you placed the bison in the hollow of a giant redwood tree, it would be listed as a micro, not a large, even though it's inside a 100 foot high, 20 foot diameter tree.

I sometimes waffle about which I'd prefer as a seeker, but I'm going to agree with the consensus in the replies so far: your fake animal is camo, not the container, so list the size of the container holding the log. Your specific case strikes me as an easy one, though: I'd be more inclined to list the size of the animal if the container with the log in it were inside the bird instead of just attached to it. Although at the same time, I wouldn't complain about someone calling a bison in a bird a micro.

If you're worried, you can be clearer in the description, telling people the container is a micro, but that they're looking for something quite a bit larger. This is the kind of thing that I think works well in the "short description" paragraph, so it's the first thing they see if they look.

Honestly, I feel like it isn't just the log container to consider, but also the space available for trade or trackable items. I've seen an old mailbox in the hollow of a tree, but the log itself is inside a bison tube magnetically attached to the inside. The mailbox has TONS of space for swag, but the log container is a micro. It was listed as 'unknown' size...but to me it seems if they wanted to list a true size, it would have been more honest to say either "regular" or even "large" (it's a fairly big mailbox). In the example of maybe a stump or log with a hole drilled large enough only for the bison tube, I would definitely say "micro" because there is no other space for anything but the log container.

Container size, to me, involves more than just what contains the log itself.

Edited by J Grouchy
Container size, to me, involves more than just what contains the log itself.
Well, yes. If I have an ammo-can cache, it's a regular. If I put the log inside a ziplock or a preform or a match safe, then it's still a regular. It doesn't turn into a micro just because I've put the lot inside a smaller inner container.

But if I attach a blinker to a locomotive or an abandoned car or a public sculpture, it's still a micro. Attaching the blinker to a larger object doesn't make the cache itself larger.

I agree with Darin. I have a couple of caches that are ammo cans with the log inside of a match safe and the word Log written on the match safe several times. They are listed as regular. I have also seen a blinky on one of the drive wheels of a 20 ton locomotive listed as a micro. I got real lucky on that one. Then there was the match safe inside a 7 foot tall metal sculpture of a bird. It was listed as a micro too.

I have also seen a blinky on one of the drive wheels of a 20 ton locomotive listed as a micro.

That's because it's supposed to be. Blinky's, and all other nanos are micros. Hey, that's Groundspeaks policy, I'm just the messenger. The nano cache size has been promised for how long? :ph34r:

The consensus so far seems to be micro, but I've seen this debate get heated in the past. Not necessarily in this particular Geocaching forum.

Thanks for all the comments....general consensus seems to be to go with the micro listing which I will.And since my containers that they are attached to look somewhat out of place in their surroundings, the cache should be a fairly easy find.One is in fact a bird decoy (easy enough), another a large human bone (not real of course).But if I do one and the container is inside an object that has room for swag then I'm going with the objects size as the cache size.Again, thanks so much for all your comments!!!!!!

I've found a couple like what you're describing....one was a bison tube hanging inside a fake birdhouse and another was a bison tube in a large turtle shell. Both of those were around Hot Springs Arkansas on vacation a couple of years ago. I'm sure I've found some other similar ones that I just can't recall at the moment.