Decatur, IL area cachers

Team MZFD

Indeed, I am in nearby Lincoln. I think I'm all alone here though. Scout65, whose been very quiet lately, lives between Lincoln and Springfield. So there are a few in the area. I've got a pretty packed schedule but if you want to drop me an email I'll see if I can get free for some geocaching fun. My email is

bsmalley@insightbb.com

Laters.

----------

A man said to the Universe:

"Sir, I exist!"

"However," replied the Universe,

"The fact has not created in me

a sense of obligation." -- Stephen Crane

Actually, bsmally really would like someone to go geocaching with. eeee4 and I did his &quotRevenge&quot cache this last Sunday ... great cache by the way, so don't miss it. He joined up with us to watch over our shoulder ... and looked so sad whenever we found one of his stashes.

Now, I've got to warn you though. Until I met him this weekend, I thought his avatar was staged. Will, let's just say that at least he cut his hair.

Jeepster

- We did not inherit the land from our parents; we are borrowing it from our children.

icon_biggrin.gif By the way.... for those of you that are interested my team mate and I have permission to place caches in the 5 conservation areas in Macon County. So as soon as our schedules allow us to have a day off together we will be placing them. They are ready to go, just need to be placed!!! Hopefully this will happen by the end of Feb.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster:

Now, I've got to warn you though. Until I met him this weekend, I thought his avatar was staged. Will, let's just say that at least he cut his hair.

Ah hah! Jeepster's not as observant as I thought. Yes, I did cut my hair since my avatar phot but he didn't even mention that I lost another tooth. And a front tooth at that...

Oh well, I guess i'll let it slide.

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

I get to Decatur about once a month for meetings. I've done a few caches in the area and have been looking forward to getting back for some more.

Not sure how much I could be a part of anything, but if you guys plan a picnic in the area I'll do everything I can to get there!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

OK.... looks like we need to get a picnic/gathering planned in the near future. I guess we need to figure out a good place to have one that will be a central location to as many as possible. Depending where, we could also place a group cache that day also. I'm thinking that maybe late April or May... should be nice enough weather by then. It may take that long to organize it also. icon_smile.gif What does everyone else think??????

Just wanted to let you know there is a goecaching club in central Illinois. Its new and we're just getting started. But if you do get a picnic together please let me know and I'll pass the word along down here.Our club is called L.E.G.S.(Little Egypt Geocaching Society). Right now we're working on a relay for life team and that may include a pinic at our local park with some Micro caches hidden in the park to help raise money for the relay of Life. If you'd like me to keep you posted please let me know. You can e-mail me through Geocaching.com My name is Seporp1

quote:
Originally posted by seporp1:

Just wanted to let you know there is a goecaching club in central Illinois.

Now, to Markwell, I live in the southern part of the state ... heck he describes anybody south of I80 as from southern Illinois. And you talk about the Olney area as being &quotcentral Illinois&quot ... which means I live in northern Illinois.

No wonder I'm soooo confused.

Jeepster

- We did not inherit the land from our parents; we are borrowing it from our children.

After thinking about what Jeepster said in his last post and also by my own perceptions of the need I think it's about time, we started our own group.

I will be willing to spearhead such a plan but will certainly need help and input from all of you. The best name for the group I could come up with is "Iliinois Capital Area Stash Hunters." Which gives the nice acronym ICASH.

I will soon begin developing the web site. I think that a good target geographical area for such an undertaking would be from Peoria south to Litchfield and from Jacksonville west to Champaign-Urbana. Of course, I don't mean to limit anyone from outside this general area from participating but this should be a good focus area to maximize attendence at events and such.

Please let me know what you think.

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

icon_eek.gifOk Ok ! !

So we're located more in the south central Illinois than Central. When we where growing up. We where told that Springfield was Central Ill. and every thing east of St. Louis was south Central. I'm sorry if I confused any of you. Olney Illinois is Located south of I-70 about 30 miles on Illinois route 130.

Your club Idea Is a Great Idea. Good luck with your planing. If you do have a picnic please Let me know and I'll pass the word around down here. I Know I'd like to meet some other Cachers.

Once again sorry for the Confusion. icon_smile.gif

Well, I spent about two hours tonight starting to develop a website for the club. I need feedback from everybody willing to give it. Please don't expect too much at this point though, there are several area that I need to bring up and running and none of them are by any means complete. This is just a rough draft. the address is:

http://icash.sub-genius.com/index.htm

I can't stress enough that I'm going to need input. icon_smile.gif Thanks

Brad

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

quote:
Originally posted by seporp1:

icon_eek.gifOk Ok ! !

So we're located more in the south central Illinois than Central ... I'm sorry if I confused any of you.

No confusion, honest! Just enjoying the opportunity to point out how different folks think about where they live ... my own phobias included.

The real center of mass of Illinois is at 40.1333° -089.3667° ... Now that I think about it though, with Markwell's mass in Chicago, it might have moved a foot or two further north.

RDW posted a virtual find on the location last February ... &quotFound it today between 2 and 3p. The point is south of Lincoln in a soybean field about 1000ft from the road. I was able to get within 130ft before I was stopped by a nasty drainage ditch. Great idea for a cache. rdw&quot

I think that location is very close to where bsmally works.

And, speaking of bsmally ... that's a neat job on the web page. Since I am road kill on the inforamtion highway, I have no idea of the amount of work that went into what's up so far. But, I'm impressed. Thanks for taking the time!

Jeepster

It's a good thing I checked in on the forums this week. As Jeepster mentioned, I have special knowledge with regard to Illinois geography. I shall now enlighten everyone.

The geographic center of Illinois is a wee li'l bit south of Lincoln. If you are south of it, you can't say you're in Northern Illinois. If you're north of it, you can't say you're in southern Illinois. Same deal for east vs west. But four quadrants (NE, NW, SE, and SW) are not enough for so large a state so we have centrals latitudinalllllllly and longitudinallllllllly. This significantly complexificates things. But I got it all figured out for you.

If you are north of I-80, you are in northern Illinois.

If you are south of I-70, you are in southern Illinois.

If you are between them, you are in latitudinal central Illinois.

If you are east of about 88.5° longitude, you are in eastern Illinois.

If you are west of Springfield and Peoria, you are in western Illinois.

If neither, you are in longitudinal central Illinois.

Now to simpificate these lines, you may refer to Illinois areas as follows:

1. If you are north of 80 and west of 90, you may say "Northwestern Illinois".

2. If you are north of 80 and east of 88.5, you hail from "Chicagoland".

3. If you are north of 80 and in the longitudinal central zone, you are in "Northern Illinois".

4. If you are in the St. Louis area (E. St. Louis, Alton, Grafton, Edwardsville, etc.), you may say you are from "the St. Louis area".

5. If you are south of 70 but not from "the St. Louis area", you are from "southern Illinois". South encompasses southwestern, southeastern, and south central Illinois.

6. If you are latitudinal central, west of 90, but not near St. Louis, you are in "western Illinois".

7. If you are latitudinal central and east of 88.5, you are in "east-central Illinois".

8. If you are central-central, you are, of course, in "central Illinois".

Simple enough. Right?

Actually, there is a kind of pitiful debate going on in "southern Illinois" right now regarding whether or not the *s* in southern Illinois should be capitalized. People writing letters to the editor are more worked up about it than I would have thought possible.

rdw

Crystal clear! I'm glad we got that sorted out.

A couple of things about the ICASH website which can still be found at

http://icash.sub-genius.com

Things changed today:

-- Added Discussion Forum

-- Made Feedback Form work

-- Added a guestbook

I still need all the input I can get. For example, answers to the following question would be helpful:

1. What are some other geocaching sites I can link to?

2. What can I add as far as content?

3. Where did I put my can opener?

4. Should I add a chat room?

5. Does one page take too long to load?

6. Where can I get photos for the phot page?

Well, you get the idea. Anything you think might be helpful will be appreciated. Thanks.

Brad

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

quote:

1. What are some other geocaching sites I can link to?

MINE! icon_wink.gif

Buxley's waypoints and Dan's Stat page might be good too. Oh yeah, and a tip o' the hat to the Nawtherners might be nice (Chi-town cachers or Markwell's page). Also, L.E.G.S. is working on a page.

4. Should I add a chat room?

That could be fun from time to time. I'm semi-regular in ClayJar's room, but I'd love to connect with some Illinois cachers a little more.

Like Seporp, I'm pretty involved with L.E.G.S. too, but would love to pop in on an occasional meeting closer by and hit a picnic if you decide to have one.

Keep us posted!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Well, I made a couple changes to the site today. I changed the "Favorites" page to the "Links" page, reorganized it, and added links to the Macon County Conservation site and to CYbret's site.

So far only four users have registered on the Message Board. I hope that everybody will register because, at this time, this is as close as it gets to being a "member" of ICASH.

The folks over at MiGO (Michigan Geocaching Organization) have me jealous with their promotion buttons. You can see what I mean at the following link:

http://mi-geocaching.org/modules.php?name=Promote_MiGO

I would love to have something similar to this but, alas, this is one of my largest shortcomings, I lack artistic skills, sooooo.... If any of you are artists I'd love your help with this.

All this website stuff is nice but, what we really need is a get together! I think in the next couple of weeks we should plan something, even if it's just coffee (or Mt. Dew in my case) at Denny's. We really need to establish some sort of leadership to coordinate events and steer our club in the right direction.

Before I bore you all to death, I'll close.

Brad Smalley

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

I see what you mean about the MiGO promotion buttons.... That would be cool to have for our group. Maybe it is something we can discuss when we all get together!!!

By the way, we got a mention on the SLAGA message boards icon_smile.gif They saw that the iCASH page had link to them, and it was mentioned that they add a link to our page....

Pretty cool huh!!!!

As for a get together.... what is good for those of you that want to meet for coffee, mt. dew or other choice beverage?

By the way, we got a mention on the SLAGA message boards They saw that the iCASH page had link to them, and it was mentioned that they add a link to our page....

Pretty cool huh!!!!

============

We're here to serve. :-) anything to help spred the word.

**Glenn

Stl, mo

**Glenn, St. Louis, Mo

SLAGALogo.gif