Premium membership vs premium app

danger warriors

First, there is no "Premium App"....there's the Intro App and the full app. Then there is Premium Membership on the Geocaching.com website, which is something completely different.

At this point in your Geocaching career, I would suggest that upgrading to the ful app would be more useful to you. The Intro App was never meant to really "do" Geocaching....it's just a teaser to show folks what Geocaching is.

The intro app only gives you three caches a day, right? And it, not you, selects which caches you get to see. Very limited in scope and capability. The full app is a complete Geocaching tool, with no limit on how many caches you can view or hunt in a day, or where.

Premium Membership has it's own advantages, obviously, like the ability to view Premium caches (which may or may not be a big deal to you,,depending what the ratio of PMO vs. regular caches is in your area)....there's also Pocket Queries, Bookmark Lists, and a bunch of other features. But none of them will do you a bit of good if you still have just the Intro app.

Thanks for the replies. I knew they were different things on the intro app it calls the upgrade for the app a premium app but think this must just be the full app. It is the official geocache app.

The trial app lets us go to quite a few a day, more than 3 but it does select which ones we can find.

I think maybe paying for the full app would do us for now

Thanks for the replies. I knew they were different things on the intro app it calls the upgrade for the app a premium app but think this must just be the full app. It is the official geocache app.

The trial app lets us go to quite a few a day, more than 3 but it does select which ones we can find.

I use Groundspeaks full app on the phone to cache when I get a chance.

You wont regret buying it. So many extra caches to go for!

There's been a lot of confusion on that since the latest version of the intro app came out. Folks are intending to upgrade to the full app and accidentally upgrade to Premium Membership instead and are still stuck with the Intro App, or upgrade to Premium membership thinking the app upgrade is included in that, but it's not. The upgrade option in the app doesn't explain clearly the difference between the two. A lot of new folks have come on the Forums to complain about it, feeling like they got shafted, and I don't blame them.

I think the in-app upgrade option is for the Premium site membership. Be safe and go to the App Store to get the full app download, that way you know for sure what you're getting.

Personally I thing you should get the full app, stay with that for a while, then if you feel you want more then get premium membership.

Me too. The whole PM thing has a bit of a learning curve. Caches along a route, PQs, bookmarks...

I'd wait until you're ready to know how to use these things before shelling out the $30

Full app first. PM in a few weeks or so...

What Chief301 said. Be careful. The in-app purchase is for premium membership to the site.

In answer to the original question: The app! No contest. We've had both.

We were premium members for three years (until Groundspeak started discriminating against Europeans) but since returning to *Basic* I have found no real loss. Not many PMO caches in our area and the cheap maps are not so bad now.

The full app on the other hand is very useful for finding new caches in new areas. Best 10 euros I spent since getting my iphone!