archive your cache!

Rabid Bunny

So I need some advice. Anyone know how a good way to approach someone to archive their cache? Say, a cache that was been unavailable for a year by cachers who haven't logged a find in 10 months? Not trying to be a jerk, but it's frustrating to look at every time I look for nearest caches. Does admin ever contact anybody about this? I figured I'd post here since it's an Ohio cache. I suppose I can contact them myself, but again, trying not to be a jerk. I'm leaning more towards passive aggresive with this one. Any suggestions?

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

I guess you could check to see if the cache owner was still an active cacher. Then you could write to them and ask if anyone has checked on the cache lately to see if it is still there. It could be that everyone in the world has found it already or it is just too tough to for most folks to do. Ask the owner what his intentions are and mention the possibility of archiving it since it may have out lived its interest.

The admins could address things like this if there seems to be a reason to and if they are aware of the situation. Most of the time the admin guys are not aware of "problems" unless someone mentions it.

Glenn

I have been working this issue for a number of caches here in New England. I normally email the cache owner asking "what is up with your cache". They often say, "I'll get around to it". SOMETIMES they actually do!

If I don't hear back, I'll often log a "cache should be archived" entry on the cache page. If I have explained the situation well, the admins will archive it.

Recently, I wrote someone about his disabled cache. He told me to find it and then he will archive it!

-WR

"Besides physical caches, we have VIRTUal and VIRTUeless."

I saw this thread and did a lil' bit of cleanup in your area, Rabid Bunny. I archived a few disabled caches where it was clear that the container was no longer there (so there's no geo-litter). If the cache container is still at the site, the volunteer admins shouldn't really be archiving these, because then there is geo-litter out in the woods. I also skipped disabled caches where the owner has posted their intentions recently (the last couple of months).

I hope that your list of nearest caches is cleaner now. If there is still a cache on your nearest list that concerns you, then by all means write to the hider, post a "should be archived" note, or write to Groundspeak at their contact address.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

There is a cahce in my area that always shows up at the top of a search that I believe is missing but I cannot get the owner to archive it. I have sent several direct email to them and they even told me they were going to check it out several weeks ago but still it is active. I know of at least 2 other cachers that emailed me after I posted a "nofind" to tell me they couldn't find it either.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=45a9c6a3-a5a5-4398-99e1-b87123e6d563

I wasn't trying to **** you off, only wanted you to either check the cache and replace if it is gone or archive it to prevent people from seeking it if it was gone already. It just seemed like you were too busy or didn't care if it was gone or not.

I personally have made 3 trips to seek it since I hate to get skunked on a cache, by the third time I am convinced it is gone or the coordinates are very far off.

If you would have checked it and said it was there then I would go back again and seek it.

If I get two people in a row who can't find one of my caches then I will temporary disable it and go check on it as soon as possible. I have even went and checked on other's cache that I had already found and someones tries to find it and says it is gone to help them.

Well apparently TPTB do read these forums. THANKS a whole lot RB. They have permanently archived my "Finally Proof Aliens Exist" cache. It was logged on April 27 by Team Donutdog but since they didn't complete the final leg they only logged a NOTE and not a FIND which they should have since they signed the log book at the second site before continuing on to the rest of the stages. And since the county parks dept. put a ban on caches in their parks we had to temporarily archive it while we worked on reconfiguring the cache to comply. Apparently you didn't enjoy the cache, although several others who attempted it did.

We were ready to re-activate the cache yesterday. After spending a lot of time and effort on the new cache configuration and editing the cache page repeatedly over the last couple of weeks, TPTB has PERMANENTLY ARCHIVED the cache as of yesterday and we are now unable to reactivate it.

Why don't you quit griping and complaining all the time, and nit picking. If you only like 1/1 level caches and cann't stand bugs, mud, weeds, or other natural features of the great outdoors and can't click on page two of the nearest caches just sell the GPSr.

$1000 Bill geocaching is living in a 30 foot circle

[This message was edited by Treasure Hunters Inc. on July 01, 2003 at 07:46 PM.]

Treasure Hunters Inc. -

For the record, your cache was not archived as a result of my reading Rabid Bunny's post here. I did notice that your cache had been offline for awhile but I skipped over it. Another admin archived your cache independently of this thread, because another geocacher wanted to place a cache in the same park, less than a tenth of a mile from your cache. That admin approved the other cache, which was ready to go that day, and archived yours. Perhaps if you had posted a status note on your cache page, the outcome might have been different.

I hope that you are able to adjust your cache and get it back online. It looks like a very interesting hunt! If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Treasure Hunters Inc.:

We were ready to re-activate the cache yesterday. After spending a lot of time and effort on the new cache configuration and editing the cache page repeatedly over the last couple of weeks, TPTB has PERMANENTLY ARCHIVED the cache as of yesterday and we are now unable to reactivate it.

[This message was edited by Treasure Hunters Inc. on July 01, 2003 at 07:46 PM.]

So get an approver to un-archive it for you. Just explain that you've fixed whatever the problem(s) was.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Keystone Approver -

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think you were the admin who archived my cache since I had gotten an email informing me the cache had been archived by someone else. Actually I was desperately trying to correct this unjustified and unjustifiable action taken by the other admin. I have been actively working on the cache page for GC878F for some time now and, I actually thought that my continuous editing of the cache page would be apparent and obvious that the cache was in the process of being prepared to reactivate.

How can my cache be archived when there was a log entry only 63 days prior ??

Now you tell me that my cache has to be moved since the other admin has essentially given away my cache location, by stealing it for someone else.

Why didn't they even post a note on the cache to see if I responded???

Why do I now have to change over a months work???

My cache has precedence over the new cache in my opinion. It shold be made to move.

If my cache had actually been inactive for 10 months I would not be so adamant about this situation.

The given coordinates for the cache are germain to the whole multi-cache. The first site is essentially a virtual site at which the seeker gets information to determine the coordinates of the second site. It cannot be moved .1 mile away !!

quote:

How can my cache be archived when there was a log entry only 63 days prior ??

I can put a log on a cache that was archived years ago, does this mean this mean anything? icon_razz.gif

I suspect the approver looked at the recent logs, and none of them were finds. And the cache had been inactivated for how long at this point??

quote:
Now you tell me that my cache has to be moved since the other admin has essentially given away my cache location, by stealing it for someone else.

If you just leave a cache disabled for? (how long was it?) Without explaining whats going on, its going to be archived. In this case, someone else had already placed another cache nearby.

quote:
Why didn't they even post a note on the cache to see if I responded???

You would have to ask them.

Why didn't you post a note explaining why the cache was disabled, and that you were working to fix some problem and would then enable the cache?

quote:
Why do I now have to change over a months work???

Because you failed to make it apperant you were still doing something with the location.

quote:
My cache has precedence over the new cache in my opinion. It shold be made to move.

Theres a place in the gc.com guidelines that says:

"Keep in mind that there is no precedent for placing caches. If a cache has been posted in the past and break any rules listed below, you are welcome to report it."

IMO If you wanted the location that badly you should have kept the cache active(disabling and not explaining why is Not acitve, to me). Instead you ignored the place till someone else so interest then complain about it.

quote:
If my cache had actually been inactive for 10 months I would not be so adamant about this situation.

10 months isn't correct, but as I said the last person to have posted a find when this cache was archived was in Sept. but someone may have found in Oct.? But in any case the cache was disabled without explanion for a few months.

quote:
The given coordinates for the cache are germain to the whole multi-cache. The first site is essentially a virtual site at which the seeker gets information to determine the coordinates of the second site. It cannot be moved .1 mile away !!

Maybe you and 'Onathreedaypass and Funky Chikin' can work together on a cache, or as has been suggested, move the cache. Or even just create a whole new one.

IMO you should just accept the 'loss' and move on. You can waste a whole lot of time complaining about this mishap or you can spend the time on new caches!

ps-You shouldn't call the approvers names icon_frown.gif.

Welch -- thank you! -- you summed up the situation better than I could, especially the parts about leaving a note on your cache page, and not calling the admins names.

Treasure Hunters -- when a cache is temporarily disabled, it says something like "read the notes below for an explanation." If there is no explanation, the reader can only guess. The admins do not monitor your cache page daily to see if you edit it. I am sorry that you misunderstood this and I am sorry that you are upset. The fact that you are upset is not Davros' fault, it's not Rabid Bunny's fault, it's not Keystone Approver's fault, and it's not Onathreedaypass and Funky Chikin's fault.

I had an idea on how to get your cache back online. But then I went to read the cache page for the new cache placed nearby, and I saw the following note that you left:

quote:
I'm not blaming you for this situation but I want you to know what is going on.

You requested your new cache.

Some dumb _ss admin looked at my cache which had been temporarily archived while being reconfigured due to the ban on caches by the Licking Parks Dept. ,and decided without making any attempt to contact us, and without even reading the latest log entries on the cache page, that it had been inactive for at least 10 months. (even though it was logged only April 27 just 63 days prior)

So the sh_t head permanently archived my cache, and gave you my cache site (by stealing it from me).

I have been actively working on it and have repeatedly edited the cache page many times over the last couple of weeks.

I am now told that since your cache was approved that I have to move my cache in order to get it re-activated. However the coordinates are germain to my multi-cache and I cannot change the coordinates to .1 mile away since the first site is essentially a virtual at which the seeker has to get information for determine the location of the second site.

So they're telling me I'm out and you're in.

I am a sensitive young lady and I don't want to risk being called any of those bad names if I were to step in to this situation further. I would suggest calming down and then writing an e-mail to Davros, the admin who archived your cache and approved the new cache. You are a good hider. Please don't spoil that reputation and try to work with us in a civilized fashion.

--------------------

I hope you will accept my sincere appology for my unwarented comments which were in poor taste to say the least. In my defence I can only say that I was very upset yesterday and let my near rage get the better of me. I am truly sorry.

If I had ANY reason to suspect that my cache was subject to being permanently archived I certainly would have take some different measures. But you people haven't really subjectively looked at this situation. Your just being totally defensive and trying to misdirect attention away from the fact that the admin who archived this cache acted improperly.

Where does it say that a cache has to have a FIND logged on it in order for it to be classed as ACTIVE ??

Also you are now reading the totally edited version of the cache.

In the original cache the second site was an ammo box which contained the log book, and the cache page clearly stated that anyone who found the second site could log a find for the cache. This was done because during wet seasons the final three sites could be unreachable without wading a creek possibly as much as above their knees, which could have been unsafe. Anyone who was able to do the entire 5 sites would reach the final ammo box which contained better stuff to trade, like mapping software, rechargeable batteries, book tapes, etc.

I believed that my repeated editing of the cache page as I gradually worked out all the new details for the cache were evidence of the caches viability, and there WAS a log entry which I deleted that stated the reason it had been temporarily archived. I only recently deleted it while doing the final editing of the cache page just a few days before it got permanently archived.

It was temporarily archived for almost 60 days.

During that time there was a note posted explaining why.

quote:

10 months isn't correct, but as I said the last person to have posted a find when this cache was archived was in Sept. but someone may have found in Oct.? But in any case the cache was disabled without explanion for a few months

As I already state there was an explation on the cache page until about June 26.

The cache was FOUND on April 27 (only about 65 days ago) and logged as a note. But that note, before being edited on July 2, stated that they had signed the log. They have every right to log the find now no matter how far in the past they found it. Is there some limit about logging a find within a certain time period. They deserve the stats that they would not get if my cache isn't reinstated.

Quote:

"Keep in mind that there is no precedent for placing caches. If a cache has been posted in the past and break any rules listed below, you are welcome to report it."

There is a big difference between preceDENT and precedENCE. The guideline you have quoted talks about reporting caches which violate rules for caches. My cache didn't violate any rules, wasn't inactive and DID have an explanation posted until June 26 when I thought I had every thing ready to go. Then found out the new chart/table wouldn't print properly. It took me until July 1 to get that kink corrected, and even now it isn't right unless you use printer friendly printing.

I still believe that an existing, active cache has precedence. There would be no need for a .1 mile rule if it didn't.

Treasure Hunters, thank you for a far calmer post.

I looked at your cache page as a possible candidate for archiving after this thread was started, but I skipped over it. At that time, June 26, there was NO note on the page that would explain why the cache was temporarily disabled. And the same was true when Davros visited your page a few days later when the new cache showed up nearby. You could have edited your page ten times a day and it wouldn't have mattered. That visit was the first time I'd read your page. I truly and honestly believed the following: the cache was disabled because of concern last fall about high water. Then you may have forgotten about re-enabling it. That was my conclusion. I didn't archive it because I felt the cache container was still out in the wild.

The problem was not the length of time without a find, but rather the length of time that the cache had (apparently) been "temporarily" disabled. Caches can go for a year or more without a find and they stay active. But yours was disabled when the admins looked at it. You really should have left that note up on the page!

I'm trying to view your situation objectively, not subjectively. And I don't feel I'm being defensive. I am just doing the job I volunteered to do, and I am always happy to discuss issues in a calm fashion, whether by e-mail or, once made public, here in the forums.

--------------------

Well, this is all just a really unfortunate mess and all I want to contribute is the idea that maybe, in this case, some judgment should be exercised about the ".1 mile" rule, since the first stage of THI's new cache (the one to which the .1-mile rule is being applied) is a virtual. A virtual within .1 miles doesn't seem as big of a deal as another physical cache in that range.

I really don't think it's unreasonable for someone to take two months to relocate and redesign a moderately tough, 5-stage multi. But during that time, you do run the risk that someone is going to "take" your spot. Unfortunate but true. I think an exception (because of the first stage being virtual) ought to be considered. If it can't be granted, then I think THI might consider adding in a "Stage 0.5" (that is over 0.1 miles from another cache) to begin the cache, that leads to Stage 1. That way the entire thing doesn't need to be redesigned in order to comply with the rules - it just becomes a 6-stage instead of a 5-stage icon_smile.gif But it's just an idea.

I got your email (Team Donutdog)(which should have said Onathreedaypass) and you were more than generous even suggesting that you might bow out. YOU ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT DO THAT. I am not suggesting or asking you to. This whole mess is not our fault, it was the admin's. blunder.

I had already thought of your solution to the problem, ie. add another stage to the multi. but the whole thing already requires parking three times and that has been worrying me. Adding a fourth seems a bit much to me. I think cachers might find that unpleasant.

I feel that BOTH caches should remain where they are/were. Having your cache there will help mine and mine should help yours.

[This message was edited by Treasure Hunters Inc. on July 03, 2003 at 01:05 PM.]

quote:

I got your email Team Donutdog and you were more than generous even suggesting that you might bow out. YOU ABSOLUTELY SHOULD...

First off, I thought that was funny, but Im sure some overly eager treasure hunters will flame me for it icon_wink.gif

What I wanted say was, did you get a message from Onathreedaypass and Funky Chikin??

ps- THI check your email again.

Sorry. My bad. Both "onathreedaypass and donutdog made the same suggestion about adding a stage to the cache. I hope this isn't improper, but here is onathreedaypasses email to me.

User onathreedaypass has contacted you with the following message:

I was feeling happy that I had placed my first cache and now this issue arises. Now I feel badly and I am sorry that this has happened to you. Apparently you have put a lot of time into your cache preparation. Since your cache is at least partly a virtual one, I don't see why there should be a problem. There are caches all over Westerville and some of them overlap one another. What if you added another first site with coordinates leading to your original first site? Or, do you think that I should bow out?

Treasure Hunters, I noticed that some dumb*ss sh*thead admin unarchived your cache. I doubt that you'll thank him publicly, so I will do it for you. Thank you, dumb*ss sh*thead!!!

--------------------