Using hooks for high terrain caches

Whilst we're relatively experienced cachers with about 1600 finds we're not really ones for anything which requires climbing trees or heights in general.

Today I found a cache which required the construction of a long pole and hook reaching down from a bridge for a 4 rated difficulty cache which got me thinking, is it reasonable to use an extended pole and hook to grab high caches without making most/all of the climb?

I realise the simple answer is 'it's how you choose to play the game' but on one hand it's probably not as the CO intended (given the terrain rating) but on the other it could be considered to be using initiative and imagination to grab the container?

I'd be interested to know what others think, if where possible is it acceptable to get high terrain caches without making the climb using adapted equipment? Thank you for your time in reading.

I would say that it might have a bit to with how the cache page is written up and what attributes are given. Also, when in doubt, ask the cache owner how they intended it to found... using the pole could be the exact intention.

What cache are you referring to so that we may see the cache page and give better guidance.

The most basic "rule" of Geocaching is retrieve the container, sign the log, return the container to it's hiding spot. If you can devise a method to accomplish this task, even if it wasn't how the CO envisioned it, it should count.

If I choose to use a map and compass instead of a GPS, as the game was designed, does it not count?

Most of the higher terrain free climb and rope hides in trees we've found were attached, meaning you have to unscrew the bottom from the secured top.

- Create a gizmo that does that and you'll make a mint.

If it's just on a hook, your pole method is just another creative way to access and should be fine.

I'd bet that the majority won't be acessible with your method, but logs and such may hint if it's possible.

Maybe below the true fives.

Elevation is your next problem. Like S&B said, tough keeping a pole steady at 100'.

My other 2/3rds has a beginners rope hide, for those learning ascending/descending with devices.

Everything from ladders, semi-free climbing (aided with rope and a belayer), to building a scaffold with downed wood nearby has been used.

Fun to see what folks come up with.

If people who help a climber are able to sign the log too, I don't believe a CO can say how to access it, as long as you got it and the log's signed.

spllelling...

Edited by cerberus1

I'd certainly use a pole to could reach it rather than climb. But, I'd also want to know that I could put it back correctly before I did so. If all I'm going to do is knock the cache down with the pole, the pole probably isn't going to be much use putting it back in place. Then whatcha ya gonna do?

"Awesome fun ! Ooops ! Needs maintenance..." :lol:

As a cache owner with a couple of tree hides, i don't have a problem with cachers coming up with creative ways to retrieve a cache. If a long pole and hook works, then by all means, go for it. Climb a ladder,, fine. Usage of your own personal jetpack is good too. My only concern is that the person be able to replace the cache back the way they found it.

Most of the higher terrain free climb and rope hides in trees we've found were attached, meaning you have to unscrew the bottom from the secured top.

This is the important example because it shows this fundamental point: if you can get the cache with a tool, you're fine. If the CO doesn't like it, he can try to prevent it in advance, but he can't call foul after you've successfully signed the log.

I do want to add, though, that it's important to make sure you can put the cache back with your tool. I made that mistake once: the tool I had was fine for making the grab but didn't work for putting it back. I had to come back the next day with a better tool to put the cache where it was supposed to go instead of the wimpy spot I'd put it the day before.

It is call TOTT I think. It is often used. As said just make sure you will be able to put it back with it. Some are set up that way that I have found. We are great climbers but some are not climbable trees. The only way would be how you are talking about. Still they have the high terrain rating.

The challenge is the elevated location of the cache. It's up to you to decide the best way to handle that challenge. I've retrieved some elevated caches by climbing. I've retrieved others with tools.

There's a two stage multi that uses some sort of tag with the final coordinates on it up in a tree. One of the first people to find it spotted the tag from the ground and used a camera with a telephoto lens to read the coordinates. The CO didn't seem to mind.

Whilst we're relatively experienced cachers with about 1600 finds we're not really ones for anything which requires climbing trees or heights in general.

Today I found a cache which required the construction of a long pole and hook reaching down from a bridge for a 4 rated difficulty cache which got me thinking, is it reasonable to use an extended pole and hook to grab high caches without making most/all of the climb?

I realise the simple answer is 'it's how you choose to play the game' but on one hand it's probably not as the CO intended (given the terrain rating) but on the other it could be considered to be using initiative and imagination to grab the container?

I'd be interested to know what others think, if where possible is it acceptable to get high terrain caches without making the climb using adapted equipment? Thank you for your time in reading.

I think if you retrieve the cache you get to sign it and claim it. If you rest a ladder against a tree instead of climbing the tree it doesn't change the fact you found the cache and signed the log.

What the cache setter intended you to do isn't the point - if we insist that a cache can only be claimed by getting at it in one very specific manner we end up in a place where totally arbitrary requirements get imposed. It's silly to insist that a film pot behind a sign can only be claimed if approached from one particular direction, so why is it any less silly to insist that any other cache can only be claimed if retrieved in a predetermined manner?

I remember a cache I did with a friend a while back. It was listed as a T1 but turned out to be way over head height. The cache was a film pot attached with a magnet to the horizontal part of a metal lamp post, and was something like 12 feet off the ground. There was no obvious way to get at the cache - the post had no visible means of climbing it and there was nothing nearby that would have helped. There's no way it shoudl have been T1 but that's another story.

What I did was extend my walking pole to the longest setting, jump up and swing it at the cache. After a few goes I dislodged it (naturally it landed in the stinging nettles), and signed it. Then I just needed something to stick the cache back to the pole that would hold it in place but would unstick once the magnet engaged with the post again. After a few tries I put it back.

D4/T1 for a cache in plain view very high up. I suspect D1.5/T4 would have been more appropriate.

This is the way that I see it. If your retrieve the cache, sign the log and replace it as you found it, claim the find. If the cache owner gives you grief, move on to the next cache and don't look for any more caches by that cache owner because you are only going run afoul of him at a later time.