Changes made from version 5.40 to 5.60:

Added support for additional ActiveRouting cartography

Improved display of marine-specific lines in BlueChart g2 maps

Improved boot time when large amounts of photos are present

Fixed issue retrieving PLSS data in certain TOPO US 24k maps

Fixed possible issue with +/- buttons when using Sight N' Go

Fixed possible issue with the Distance to Destination data field in nuvi mode

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5335

Warning! stay well clear of this one. I updated both of my units and now both are saying they can't authenticate the maps must contact seller. I now have two useless units with no way to recover the maps. Re-installing the maps does not work either. And yes the maps are legit. Yet again Garmin has lost the plot on this one, sliding even closer with their latest units towards bankruptcy. Now i have to find an older firmware and see if i can go backwards.

To my knowledge this update only invalidates pirated official Garmin maps.

I can assure you mine isnt pirated. My topo maps work fine, but my legitimate City Navigator maps for europe and America wont work. I have found literally hundreds of posts about this problem all over Google with many saying they spent hours on the phone with Garmin. Anyway i have cured it by going back to the previous firmware as i choose not to spend hours on the phone with idiots who install spyware that affects legit units.

Edited by Alfresco2006

To my knowledge this update only invalidates pirated official Garmin maps.

I can assure you mine isnt pirated. My topo maps work fine, but my legitimate City Navigator maps for europe and americ wont work. I have found literally hundreds of posts about this problem all over Google with many saying they spent hours on the phone with Garmin. Anyway i have cured it by going back to the previous firmware as i choose not to spend hours pn the phone with idiots who install spyware that affects legit units.

Well then obviously this development changes my knowledge of the issue. What we don't know is how old your maps are and whether or not the new firmware must find a GMA file in order to validate or if there are some other data Garmin has decided to employ to validate maps. Right now there appears to be an issue with the Oregon 6xx update released on the same day not validating (crashing on subsequent boot operations) perfectly legit Topo 24K maps of North America which never came with a validation as they were unlocked. Is it possible that your perfectly legit purchased maps are older and perhaps didn't use a GMA file for validation? Nobody knows how the validation process has changed but from the looks of it there may be issues with some maps being authenticated in different ways and the engineers at Garmin will fix this in short order. Keep Calm and revert to an older version of firmware until the issues are worked out.

Edited by yogazoo

Submit detailed reports to Garmin at montanabeta@garmin.com. It might help them solve the problem. If you have a legit map that locked the unit up with version 5.60 then tell them about it but be specific regarding the names of maps, versions, sources etc. If anyone has pirated Garmin maps that won't work with v5.60 you might think twice before telling them.

I borrowed a buddy's Montana to test v5.60 and even with 12 third party maps, Garmin Topo 24K, and OSM maps it works just fine.

If you have legit versions of City Navigator make sure you have the GMA file and the UNL file in the same directory as your .IMG file. Sometimes when we move files we forget to transfer the validation files as well. The CityNav.img won't work without them. The unit will tell you they're invalid and won't load them.

Edited by yogazoo

@yogazoo There are even reports of OSM-maps giving this issue. And if there is one thing certain, OSM-maps don't need any authentication B)

I haven't seen any reports of OSM maps crashing the Montana. The Oregon perhaps but not the Montana. Can you provide a link to such report on the Montana specifically?