Info on other clubs

VentureForth

Hey y'all. Just want some input as we get the North Texas Geocaching Association up and running.

A few of the problems we've come across is folks using potential club logos arbitrarily and selling merchandise brandishing this logo.

I want to know how other clubs handle finances for upkeep of websites, etc. Do other clubs use a treasury or fund raiser to pay off the webmaster? How are sales of logo'd merchandise handled? I noticed that WGA doesn't get any proceeds from sale of their logo'd items from the store (mainly 'cause there are no proceeds after the costs), and I noticed that the GGA has a store, but no reference to how funds are allocated.

Are these issues addressed in bylaws? Or, do the various groups just simply allow members to sell what they want when they want?

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

The Wisconsin Geocaching Association structure has not been formalized up to this point, but we're now in the final stages of developing a set of bylaws. After that we're going to work on incorporating. We haven't taken dues or money from the store because we weren't incorporated and didn't want any of the leaders to have to claim the donations on his income tax.

Regarding our website, we have been very fortunate to have people in the internet business as part our group's organizers -- namely Team CacheCows of Wisconsin and Jeremy V -- who have generously donated their time and services.

banner-small.gif

We in Chicago got explicit permission from Jeremy prior to the clamp-down on the logo usage. I wouldn't be comfortable using the Geocaching logo in any form without permission if we were using it for sustaining our website.

We set up a cafe press account, but I think we've only sold 1 or 2 items in the year that we've had that logo. It's not really a giant money maker.

Like Wisconsin, we've got some techno-people that donate domain registration and server space, etc., for running our site. Other than that, we don't really have any overhead since we're even a looser organization that Wisconsin's.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Lemme clarify...

The logo I'm talking about is a specific logo for the NTGA, not even an approved one, but we're wondering if it is appropriate for gung-ho members to sell stuff with any NTGA logo (approved or otherwise).

Perhaps, legally they can. But I'm wondering if it's appropriate.

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!