Stolen Ohio Cache

zaarenoc

Someone stole my first cache! I mistakenly hid this cache in Resthaven Wildlife Area (forbidden by Ohio DNR). and posted it in a report. Received am email from Mtn_Man that the cache was illegal and I should remove it. Went to get it the follow weekend and someone had stolen it. It was a 4-gallon bucket and I put it inside a garbage bag and sealed it with a twist tie. They took the bucket and contents but left the garbage bag.

Since the cache was archived right away by Geocaching it never made it to the list.

This was a well-hidden cache and nobody stumbled over it! So how did they get word on where it was?

Doug - Zaarenoc

if it was never posted on the site then how did "Mtn_Man" know about it to send you an email telling you it should be removed? If the cache got approved even for a day it will show up on a search if someone had done one, then printed the info out and went searching it even thought by then you had archived it.

Maybe the person who emailed you took it. Maybe a local ranger removed it.

Mtn_Man works for Geocaching.com. After I sent in the report he sent me an email saying he would have to archive it because of ODNR policy.

It was well hidden and no one could have found it without the coordinates. I believe that if a ranger had somehow found it he (she) would not have left the garbage bag behind.

Z.

Douglas R Davis

quote:
Originally posted by zaarenoc:

Mtn_Man works for Geocaching.com. After I sent in the report he sent me an email saying he would have to archive it because of ODNR policy.

It was well hidden and no one could have found it without the coordinates. I believe that if a ranger had somehow found it he (she) would not have left the garbage bag behind.

Z.

Douglas R Davis

This is where you have lost me, the stated policy of the ODNR is in total support of Geocaching except in wildlife areas. I have a letter from the ODNR if you are interested it it on their policy.

And if the cache was never approved then someone had to stumble across the cache (or seen you hide it) and they removed it.

Here is the letter from Mr Zody of the ODNR

Mr. (name deleted) -

Attached please find a copy of the ODNR geocaching policy. This policy was

adopted during 2002, and has not changed, nor will it change in the near

future. I actually wrote the policy based upon input from our land

managment divisions - Parks, Forestry, Wildlife, and Natural Areas. Thus

far, we have had a very positive relationship with the geocaching community.

In fact, the Central Ohio "chapter" is helping Alum Creek State Park this

Saturday with a clean-up day. I would be very interested in knowing if

someone is telling you that we are moving towards disallowing geocaching on

ODNR lands - while we do not permit traditional caching on Wildlife or

Natural Areas, Parks and Forests have been and will be open to the activity.

Feel free to e-mail me or call me at (614) 265-6845

Thanks

Scott Zody

Deputy Director,

Recreation & Resource Management

(Deputy Dog)

Geo-Caching Tips for ODNR Properties

If you are considering establishing a cache on property owned or managed by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, (State Parks, State Forests, State Nature Preserves, State Wildlife Areas) please adhere to the following guidelines to avoid legal complications and/or prosecution:

1. Always consult the local facility manager for permission before establishing a cache. Many are eager to help determine safe, scenic, and fun locations.

2. Traditional caches are NOT permitted on State Nature Preserves or Wildlife Areas – virtual caches only. Illegally placed caches will be removed.

3. If you do not know how to contact a local facility manager, please contact the following staff:

State Parks – Phil Hoffman – (614) 265-6561

State Forests – Don Karas – (614) 265-6694

State Nature Preserves – Ron Demmy – (614) 265-6453

State Wildlife Areas – Jennifer Windus – (614) 265-6330

Oh well... whatever happened the cache is gone so I'll have to try again. Since it was my first cache I wanted it to be a good one and sunk about $35 bucks in it. I had a $12.00 set of hitler stamps in there... maybe a stamp collector got it icon_smile.gif

Z.

Yeah it's weird like that. From some of the info I've seen the reason it's not allowed in wildlife areas is because it would conflict with hunting. I guess they don't want us all to get shot during hunting season.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

Yeah it's weird like that. From some of the info I've seen the reason it's not allowed in wildlife areas is because it would conflict with hunting. I guess they don't want us all to get shot during hunting season.

Mr. 0

And the hunting season (the busy part of the hunting season) is only for a few weeks of the year and the rest of the years there is only a few people hunting at any given time. They allow you to hike through these areas, and some allow horseback riding but not Geocaching??? I know of a few caches hidden in these areas and they are still active. Sure they didn't ask for permission to hide them or they would not be there but for now they are still there.

Yeah, I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but at least we have the rest of the state park areas. I know of a few of them too, but I imagine that they'll be discovered sooner or later. I know of at least one that has been somewhat recently. There was one placed up around Marsailles (or however it's spelled) in the Killdeer wildlife area that was discovered and removed. I know there have been others too, but that was the only one I could think of right now.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Hunters have nothing to do with ODNR's policy of not allow traditional GeoCaches in Wildlife or State Preserve or State Parks areas. The reasons are that leaving anything laying around in those areas can be construed as littering. It is counter productive to the purpose of those areas, which is to preserve and protect unique or endangered wildlife and plant species in those areas. Not from people perhaps, but from the items that might be placed in the caches.

Note that only State Preserves and Wildlife areas are off limits to traditional caches. The other locations are acceptable with proper permission for placing the cache.

Lone Duck

The Quack Cacher

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

What about mushroom hunters? Is it too late in the season in your area for that to have been a factor/...

If the NFWS guidelines are to be strictly followed, mushroom hunting is not permitted in game and wildlife areas. Only activities involving fishing, hunting or trapping are allowed. Bring your leg hold trap to capture those mushrooms! And shoot those birds before you watch them. Casual hiking for any reason other than wildlife "management" is outside the allowable guidelines.

"Adrift in a world he never made!"

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by zaarenoc:

Oh well... whatever happened the cache is gone so I'll have to try again. Since it was my first cache I wanted it to be a good one and sunk about $35 bucks in it. I had a $12.00 set of hitler stamps in there... maybe a stamp collector got it icon_smile.gif

Z.

Someone did stumble over it or it would still be there. Don't get discouraged. Try to look at your spot objectivly and think about why it was found. It's a lesson learned. One that takes practice to get down, though it shouldn't stop you from placing caches. If you relize one should be moved a little, take care of it then.

quote:
Originally posted by Scook:

If the NFWS guidelines are to be strictly followed, mushroom hunting is not permitted in game and wildlife areas. Only activities involving fishing, hunting or trapping are allowed. Bring your leg hold trap to capture those mushrooms! And shoot those birds before you watch them. Casual hiking for any reason other than wildlife "management" is outside the allowable guidelines.

I like your outlook. Nothing like taking something to its logical extreme to make it look utterly stupid (which this policy is).

One of our wildlife refuges bans geocaching due to not conflicting with the mission of the preserve. They have not yet banned hiking, bird watching, picknicks, boating (non motorized though) and other recrational activties that don't 'harm' the area and it's mission.

If it is a "Wildlife Preserve" There is no kind of hunting (mushroom or animal) allowed in the area. The key word is "Preserve" Meaning to leave it as it is. To keep it Natural. I was a IDNR officer for three years till the gov't closed alot of our parks and thin us out. It taught me alot. But State parks are totally cool with you placeing a Cache there in the state parks. This is not a big deal They just set the Perserves up to help the wildlife. They don't want us humans messing it up for the Beaver.lol My advice is forget about. It was stolen. We all have had one stolen or been to one that has been stolen. It sucks. But hey we learn from our mistakes.

Beavers are a Proud and Noble Animal. Big Mike

Beavers have really big front teeth and I have tried to hold them

and paint a picture on their front teeth. So far I have not been able to do this...

If I could somehow get my paint can open with one hand and hold the beaver with

the other I might be able to do it. Beavers just don't appreciate art. Other than that they are all right, I guess.

I have forgotten about the cache a long time ago. What I think happened was when I

submitted the cache, someone who works as a helper for Geocaching called their evil

friend and told them there was a good new cache from a newbie up for grabs. I don't hold a grudge though. A couple of the items have turned up in local caches so I guess I am still

contributing to the sport icon_smile.gif

I saw recently that someone else had listed a cache in RestHaven and they let it through.

They blocked mine, remember icon_smile.gif

Z.

------------------------

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!

Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter

http://snurl.com/21bk