Garmin GPSMAP 64 Series

Guess I won't get my hopes up for a firmware update on this real soon, if Garmin is still in a state of denial.

I received a confirmation from Garmin tech-support that the source of this issue has been identified and will be fixed in a coming release.

Easy does it guys. Keep Calm and Geocache.

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up. I was really bummed with the response I got from tech support over this issue. Quite the relief to hear that it's made it to the development team and being addressed!

Yes, thank you for the info!

<brief rant on> Garmin really needs to do a better job acknowledging users' complaints about firmware, instead of passing it off as normal device behavior or operator error. I understand that CS reps. aren't going to know the ins-and-outs of every product or possible bug, but at least state that the report will be forwarded on if necessary. It leaves us end users wondering if we just bought a $400 paperweight.

Okay, I feel better now. :ph34r:

Yes, thank you for the info!

<brief rant on> Garmin really needs to do a better job acknowledging users' complaints about firmware, instead of passing it off as normal device behavior or operator error. I understand that CS reps. aren't going to know the ins-and-outs of every product or possible bug, but at least state that the report will be forwarded on if necessary. It leaves us end users wondering if we just bought a $400 paperweight.

Okay, I feel better now. :ph34r:

It always seems that way from our vantage point, doesn't it? But it was finally bumped 'upstairs' and addressed. They just released V2.90, which addresses the compass issues AND adds support for Garmin Connect on Android - something else many people have been asking for.

http://forums.Ground...howtopic=323405

Guess I won't get my hopes up for a firmware update on this real soon, if Garmin is still in a state of denial.

I received a confirmation from Garmin tech-support that the source of this issue has been identified and will be fixed in a coming release.

Easy does it guys. Keep Calm and Geocache.

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up. I was really bummed with the response I got from tech support over this issue. Quite the relief to hear that it's made it to the development team and being addressed!

This would really be great, I'm having the exact problems and was doubting my own observations ;-)

I really like the 64s, but the compass is not reliable whem approaching GZ and turning while standing still....I "solved" it by re-callibrating the compass several times a day....

Will patiently wait for a proper firmware....

edit, Mmmm, see in another thread that it should be solved in 2.90 while I'm on 3.20 and still having the problem....

Anyone else still having this compass issue?

Edited by Venzent

This would really be great, I'm having the exact problems and was doubting my own observations ;-)

I really like the 64s, but the compass is not reliable whem approaching GZ and turning while standing still....I "solved" it by re-callibrating the compass several times a day....

Will patiently wait for a proper firmware....

edit, Mmmm, see in another thread that it should be solved in 2.90 while I'm on 3.20 and still having the problem....

Anyone else still having this compass issue?

I have the same problem, compared with my old 62st unit the 64st is not good enough yet.

Using the 3.20 fw and replaced my unit 2 times because of this but no changes, the compass freeze when i changing direction trying to find GZ..

Just and FYI. I know that many of you are not using a Gizzmovest and may still be experiencing compass issues. BUT. I had my 64 in a Gizzmovest and found the compass to be very out-of-wack. I soon realized that the metal clip on the Gizzmovest was throwing my compass off. I always knew to be careful of non-Garmin carabiners but I always figured the metal used to make the clip on the Gizzmovest would be made from non-ferrous metal. Turns out it's not. Remove the metal clip on Gizzmovests if you use them to protect your GPS units. I cut cut a hole in the back and use the rail-mount carabiner or rail-mount swivel clip attachment.