just started

Boomhawr

I've heard of geocaching before, but never got around to looking into it until I was at the family cemetery and the nieghbor showed me 1 that someone had put in there. I never knew it was there (and neither did the cousin who is in charge of the cemetery).

Anyway, so now I've been st it for just over a week. Been fun so far (even though it's freezing out side). Looking forward to when it warms up enough to take the kids. Do far my girlfriend has enjoyed hunting them with me. I've been using the. Gps from the car, but. Am about to finally get a hand held. Been interesting to see the places people hide them. Did a little hunting while I was in Fort Worth, but don't really like doing it in the city. I prefer getting out away from people to look instead.

Welcome aboard! I find that I enjoy caches out in the sticks as well as cleverly hidden ones in truly urban settings. It's those ones in between, in the suburbs, that I find a little boring. Only so many shopping center parking lot micros I can take 😗

Also, in my experience it's easier to search in rural areas because you're less likely to encounter muggles. In dense urban areas it's not so bad either because there are SO many people hustling and bustling about that one more person poking around isn't likely to attract much attention. It's those small towns and suburbs where everyone is paranoid and notices somebody "acting suspicious". 😳

Edited by Chief301

Just went today and bought a Garmin GPSMAP 78. Still trying to figure out how to type the GPS cordinants in. Also, I don't see topographical maps on it. Not sure if it's going to be quiet ehat I thought.

The GPSMAP78 does not come with Topo maps... it comes only with Base Map (little more than major highways and the like).

You can acquire those separately -- either paid or free downloads. This is detailed in the spec chart.

It is capable of steering you (auto routing) as an in-vehicle unit -- with proper maps (the mapping program is the key). It does not provide voice directions.

As with any other GPSr, to "type in coordinates" you must first create a waypoint (manual, p5). You then edit the coordinates of that waypoint to the coordinates you desire -- then name and save. You may then re-edit that waypoint with the next desired set of coordinates -- then name (differently) and save. Repeat as necessary.

The GPSMAP78 is fully capable of loading coordinates and cache info from the website using "Send to GPS". You will first need to download and install Garmin Communicator to your computer.

It is further capable of "paperless" geocaching, but that may require a Premium Membership to geocaching.com (using .GPX files).

In short, it is as capable as is most any other available GPSr unit to use for geocaching.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

ah. thank you for the help. I did finally find the place to input the coordinates. hit the "find" button and go from there. I haven't finished the booklets yet. do you know where I can get the topographic map download? I also want to use it for hiking and canoeing / kayaking.

ah. thank you for the help. I did finally find the place to input the coordinates. hit the "find" button and go from there. I haven't finished the booklets yet. do you know where I can get the topographic map download? I also want to use it for hiking and canoeing / kayaking.

You can get all the topo maps you should need at gpsfiledepot.com, free. You might need to install some third party software on your computer to manage it and get it over to the GPS.

I don't think this GPS is right. it draws a line as you move around, but if I lay it down, it STILL draws the line, squiggling around like it thinks it's still moving. then I tried using it to find a cache, and it kept turning around on the screen with out me turning, and it took me to different places several yards apart each time I tried the same coordinates.

That's pretty normal for a GPS unit. It's drawing a track of your path as you search. There is probably an option somewhere to turn off tracks. Even when you're standing still the configuration of satellites is changing so your GPS unit is constantly re-calculating your coordinates. That is 100% normal. That variation should be pretty slight though - probably all those squiggles are within 10 feet of each other.

Your GPS unit probably also doesn't know what direction you're facing unless you're moving. That's also normal. So if you have it configured to always keep your direction facing "up" on your screen, once you stop moving it will very likely keep turning the screen. If that bothers you, you can probably change it so north is always "up" on your screen.

The rule of thumb is that once you're within 20 feet or so of where your GPSr says GZ is, it's time to put down the GPS unit and just start searching with your eyes. If you want to keep refining exactly where your GPSr thinks GZ is, you'll need to keep walking away from GZ, and then approaching from a new angle - that should help narrow down your search area. But realize that your unit does not have 100% precision/accuracy, nor did the cache owner's GPS unit - so the variation of the two means you'll very rarely ever find the cache exactly at what your unit says is "0."

I don't think this GPS is right. it draws a line as you move around, but if I lay it down, it STILL draws the line, squiggling around like it thinks it's still moving. then I tried using it to find a cache, and it kept turning around on the screen with out me turning, and it took me to different places several yards apart each time I tried the same coordinates.

Yup... that is pretty much what it does.

I fear that you are expecting your $200 unit to function as does a $3,000/$5,000 (or more) unit. It won't. It is a consumer-grade device.

What you need to do is practice/play/learn its capabilities. A lot of practice/play/learn. Reading what it will do is not the same, you need to use it to understand it. Many GPS "virgins" express this type of concern about what you see it doing. In time, you will accept it for what it does -- ignoring these little inconsistencies.

Take note that your unit will take you only to the AREA of the coordinates. You simply cannot should not expect it to take you to the exact same spot each and every time.

When you are stopped or moving very slowly, the screen will jump about, unless you configure the orientation as redwoodkestrel said.

As you close in on the coordinates (cache)-- 20 ft or so, and the distance and/or direction begins jumping this way, that way, another way, it is time to put the unit away. It has done all that it is gonna do. In other words, stop looking at the device and start looking for the cache (or its hiding spot). If you keep looking at the GPSr, you are wasting your eyesight because you are looking at the wrong thing.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

Well, thanks to all of y'alls help I found 5 caches while out with the kids today. I skipped 1 because there was a dead skunk by it. :anicute: thanks for all the help. Starting to get the hang of the new gps, I think.

All it takes is a little practice :). Once you get comfortable with the device, become proficient at loading PQ's to the unit, and tweak the settings to suit your particular caching style and preferences, it will all flow very naturally. Then you can concentrate on looking for the cache 😎