cache maintenance and abandoned caches

buckshot5025

i have been trying to help maintain some caches that has been abandoned but to no avail. all it takes is some one to place a needs archived on these and they are gone no matter what i do to save them. i understand ground speaks position that the cache is the owners property but when they have abandoned them and there is a willing active cacher to take care of them then why should geocaching lose these treasures. please help me understand this as i am still confused after a discussion with gpsfun on a facebook group page. is it ground speaks position to lose caches that would be maintained. i am only talking of abandoned caches where the cachers has not responded to emails or been on geocaching.com in over 6 months or longer.

i have been trying to help maintain some caches that has been abandoned but to no avail. all it takes is some one to place a needs archived on these and they are gone no matter what i do to save them. i understand ground speaks position that the cache is the owners property but when they have abandoned them and there is a willing active cacher to take care of them then why should geocaching lose these treasures. please help me understand this as i am still confused after a discussion with gpsfun on a facebook group page. is it ground speaks position to lose caches that would be maintained. i am only talking of abandoned caches where the cachers has not responded to emails or been on geocaching.com in over 6 months or longer.

Solution: When the cache is archived, post a new cache, you can link to the old listing in your new cache submission for posterity. Now the cache will have an official active owner who will maintain the cache and its listing and you get credit for it.

Solution: When the cache is archived, post a new cache, you can link to the old listing in your new cache submission for posterity. Now the cache will have an official active owner who will maintain the cache and its listing and you get credit for it.

I like this!

By establishing a link on this new cache's page to the page of the original listing, you also provide a complete log history of the cache in this spot, regardless of who the owner happened to be.

Clever idea.

Then, all you have to worry about is the unlikely possibility of the original owner grabbing what legally is his property.

Then, all you have to worry about is the unlikely possibility of the original owner grabbing what legally is his property.

If the owner hasn't replied to numerous maintenance and archival requests and hasn't played the game in a year, he's probably not going to care about retrieving his (probably crappy) container.

If the owner hasn't replied to numerous maintenance and archival requests and hasn't played the game in a year, he's probably not going to care about retrieving his (probably crappy) container.

True enough.

But if he DOES show up and wants his ammo can back, he gets it.

True enough.

But if he DOES show up and wants his ammo can back, he gets it.

Once the old cache is archived, its container is litter, so it's reasonable for the new cache owner to be considered its owner now. Although I'd certainly recommend giving it back to the original owner if he asks for it.

If you can't get in touch with the cache owner, let the archival take place. The year a cache was placed means little. It is the experience of going to the location that matters. Let those owner-less caches die, and place your own cache there. The cachers in your area will appreciate a new reason to visit that place again. If the date bothers you that much, just adjust the placed date on your new cache to match the one it is replacing.

The year a cache was placed means little. It is the experience of going to the location that matters.

I realize that lots of people have a thing for low GC#s. Pilgrimages and challenge caches are built around them. But I agree with K13. Besides the low number there usually is little about the current cache that resembles its former self: new container, new logbook, new hide technique (hanging in a tree initially, now under a rock).

If the date bothers you that much, just adjust the placed date on your new cache to match the one it is replacing.

I don't think reviewers will let you post an earlier date - probably because there would be too much abuse.

Solution: When the cache is archived, post a new cache, you can link to the old listing in your new cache submission for posterity. Now the cache will have an official active owner who will maintain the cache and its listing and you get credit for it. Then...even if the second cache is archived in the future, they can still link to it.

I like this!

By establishing a link on this new cache's page to the page of the original listing, you also provide a complete log history of the cache in this spot, regardless of who the owner happened to be.

Clever idea.

Clever yes....more clever: on the old archive page, post a Write Note with a link to the new cache so any readers of the archive cache will know there is a new cache to enjoy (and re-find).

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

i have been trying to help maintain some caches that has been abandoned but to no avail.

In another field AA you would be considered an enabler. Someone who allows others to continue bad habits without consequences thereby continuing the problem. The removal of caches put out by someone who will no longer maintain them is like taking out the trash, a good thing.