How do I use a polygon

I'm trying to load caches into GSAK for a new area I will be caching in but my PQ's are too big or small. If I use the radius method I get way to many caches that arn't accessable from my location. The problem is a large wilderness area. If I use the route tool it doesn't expand far enough. I have heard that you can use polygons to outline an area but can't seem to find it and will probably need help in how to do it.

Could somebody please help me with this?

Thank You,

cosninocanines

You are really asking a GSAK question.

geocaching.com Pocket Queries (PQs) do not have a polygon tool. You can use a query which is generally a radius, a route, or a bookmark list where you add each of the desired caches manually.

GSAK however does have access to the geocaching API, and it can use polygons. So instead of creating a PQ and importing it into GSAK, you need to pull the cache data using GSAK.

You do have a limit to how many API calls you can make in a day, so you might have to be careful with your selection.

Edit to add: I find that a collection of rectangles works very well for me (actually better than polygons), and adds just what I need.

Edited by fuzziebear3

I'm trying to load caches into GSAK for a new area I will be caching in but my PQ's are too big or small. If I use the radius method I get way to many caches that arn't accessable from my location. The problem is a large wilderness area.

Having too much data shouldn't be an issue since you're using GSAK.

My approach would be to get the PQ into GSAK.

Use the polygon filter in GSAK to include/exclude the wilderness area.

Export what remains to your GPSr.

Much like this blogger, I first learned about polygon filters at GeoWoodstock VI: http://geocachingjournal.blogspot.ca/2008/05/polygon-filters-in-gsak.html

I use this technique a fair amount to include or exclude caches within city limits, depending on what mood I'm in.