A Geocaching Picnic with White Squirrels to Boot!

CYBret

The Little Egypt Geocaching Society (L.E.G.S.) will be holding their first Picnic/Event cache on May 17th in Olney, IL.

Check out The Cache Page for more details.

Oh, by the way, Olney's known for its population of white squirrels. Chances are pretty good you'll be able to see a few while you're there. icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by *gln:

It seems that there are many official homes of these little furry things!

glenn

According to Roadside America, there are five towns that claim to be the home of the white squirrels. In addition to Olney, IL and Marionville, MO there is Kenton, TN, Brevard, NC and Exeter, ON. It's an interesting article.

I was asking a local naturalist about the white squirrels today, and she had never heard of a concentration of albino squirrels as is being described.

Does anyone have a link to information on these little guys that a naturalist might find informative?

We have some black morphs of eastern gray squirrels around here, but I've never seen a white one.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

Here, you could try THIS page. I don't know . . the explainations sounded a little "squirrely" to me, though.

Being from the area, Olney's just always been known for it's white squirrels. Actually, they're getting harder to find. Apparently a genetic weakness that goes with the albino squirrel is that they don't see so good. There are actually Squirrel Crossing signs up in places around town.

Also, in the middle of the park there's a cage where they injured squirrels are kept until they are well enough to be released. One cacher has even set it up as a virutal called "Critters."

Of course, you can see it all, if you attend the event cache on May 17th! icon_wink.gif

Bret

Just a quick reminder, the Picnic/Event cache is in Olney, IL this coming Saturday (May 17th). I was down there last week and got another look at the "Prize Closet." There's a lot of great stuff to be given away down there, including some very nice looking hiking staffs.

Hope to see you there. Oh, by the way, I guess Olney's claim to fame is no longer JUST white squirrels--they also have a Survivor loser who lives there too. icon_wink.gif

Bret

Hamsters are domesticated, and are thus very accustomed to being kept in confined spaces. I remain comfortable with HamsterCaching.

On the other hand, squirrels are free-ranging wild animals. To confine them to an ammo box would be wrong.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

On the other hand, squirrels are free-ranging wild animals. To confine them to an ammo box would be wrong.

although if they were domesticated, i think it would be ok. icon_biggrin.gif

join.gif

Click to subscribe to ozmtngeocachers

if you cache it, they will come.