Web accessibility

lumbricus

Hi friends,

sometimes I get messages through the review of a Waymark with the question why we require descriptions of things which can be seen on the pictures. For example why we require the description of a clock (colour, faces, numerals, etc.). Today I thought about blind people using the www. They use computer programs which read the website text for them. So if we only write "a church clock in Munich" it's not so informative for them. Isn't that a great reason to write descriptions with more than one sentence?

-lumbricus

Hi friends,

sometimes I get messages through the review of a Waymark with the question why we require descriptions of things which can be seen on the pictures. For example why we require the description of a clock (colour, faces, numerals, etc.). Today I thought about blind people using the www. They use computer programs which read the website text for them. So if we only write "a church clock in Munich" it's not so informative for them. Isn't that a great reason to write descriptions with more than one sentence?

-lumbricus

I agree. Those descriptions can be VERY helpful.

There are several reasons why a WRITTEN description is necessary.

1). Sometimes there are things that really can't be seen that clearly in the photos.

2). Some things, even if they are clear, need some sort of explanation.

(Think of museums with explanations of the pictures or sculptures.)

3). One of the most important reasons is that written text becomes searchable on the web. This adds to the

accessibility of the waymark and increases the value of Waymarking.com in general as a contribution to

the body of knowledge on the internet.

This is also one of the main reasons for entering the text of plaques, markers and signs into the waymark

description. Sometimes our waymarks are the only place some of this information appears.

4). Some people really do use screen readers to browse/search the internet, and a good description helps a lot.

In my view, good pictures and a good description are the two wings upon which a waymark flies.