COG and Earth Day

Rabid Bunny

Hey Central Ohio Geocachers! Just wanted to throw a line out there about Earth Day coming up next month. It seems like a good chance for us to have a "trash out" day and also get some good press out there. Geocaching.com may also have t-shirts made available. Any suggestions on specific parks that need cleaning up would be great. We could put up an event cache, clean up a park or two then even have a meet & greet since it seems we have new cachers in the area recently. Hopefully the weather will continue to improve. So throw in your two cents, suggestions, ideas, whatever and hopefully we can get something together by April 26th. Thanks all! icon_biggrin.gif

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

Hey, RB, I was just jumping on here to post that after your suggestion via e-mail. I'm in. I can talk to the Metroparks in the next week or so and find out if they have and "problem areas". I'll also get a hold of Deputy Dog and find out if there anything that needs done in the state parks.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

So let's get some suggestions in for a park that needs some attention in the central Ohio area. I know Mr.0 is asking some of his connections for ideas which would also get us some good press.

My suggestion would be to focus on one large park. We can meet & greet folks, clean up for awhile, then grab some food.

If we can't get t-shirts from the website would anyone be interested in getting some on our own? I have a co-worker who orders clothes for our store so I can start pricing stuff. If so what do we want it to say? Logo? Wording? Sizes and quantity? Colors? We could pretty much do anything. Throw some ideas my way and I can get some info soon.

That's it for now. More to come! icon_smile.gif

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

I just got word back from Deputy Dog, and he said that they are already planning a clean-up day at Alum Creek on Apr. 26, so the ODNR would be happy to have us along to help out. So is this good for everyone? If so, I'll go ahead and contact the manager up there and let him know that we're in.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Looks like geocaching.com will have t-shirts available in about 2 weeks. If we have agreed on Alum Creek and April 26th we just need a time and coords for a meeting place of some kind so we can get the cache page set up as an event cache. Hopefully that way we can get more cachers involved that may not check the forums at all. We already have 6 with M&M Speedracers, Jacksons and Neo and I so hopefully we can round up some more.

So if Mr.0 can get more details from ODNR, that would be cool. I'll keep an eye on any shirts or whatever from geocaching. Then we'll set up the cache page. Sound good?

Don't forget to spread the word! icon_wink.gif

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

I just spoke with a gentleman from Alum Creek and he said they are planning the clean-up on Apr. 26 at 9:00a. He said that we would need to meet at the Marina (coordinates will be coming soon) and they will provide gloves and trash bags. I'm going to call back tomorrow, as the person I was told to contact wasn't in today...so I'll update if there is any change in plans.

Also, RB, did you want me to make the event cache for this, or did you want to do the honors?

Mr. 0

[This message was edited by Mr. 0 on March 24, 2003 at 01:37 PM.]

You can have the honors Mr. 0. You're really doing the leg work, I just started a thread. It looks like most everything is set with the date, time and place.

Just saw an update on shirts which look pretty cool:

cito_shirt.jpg

So if we want to order some it would be cheaper I guess to buy in bulk to save on shipping. They will be available to order by April 3rd. So let me know. Mr. 0, can you put this pic on the event page also?

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

Perhaps we can encourage all cache owners in the area to take this opportunity to tend to the needs of their respective cache sites also.

My concern is that if we only go to Alum Creek and everyone else that is involved in the Metro Parks clean-up effort does the same, then only one park is getting all the attention.

quote:
Originally posted by BusBoy:

Perhaps we can encourage all cache owners in the area to take this opportunity to tend to the needs of their respective cache sites also.

My concern is that if we only go to Alum Creek and everyone else that is involved in the Metro Parks clean-up effort does the same, then only one park is getting all the attention.

Well I was just thinking about that the other day. It seems that with the number of people (about 12 now, RB might have more info since he started the post?) that I personally know of that are interested it really wouldn't allow us to split up and do several parks. So we would have a couple of options. 1) We could go to another park after Alum Creek and do some work there also, and make a whole day of CITO, or 2) we could schedule another day in the near future (maybe sometime in May????) for another CITO session. I'm going to head out to the Metro Parks main office sometime this week hopefully...I know I've been saying that for the past 3 weeks, but I think I should have time this week for sure...to get any info they have about geocaching in the Columbus Metro Parks and to find out what park/s of theirs might be in need of a CITO day. I would really like to get into a Metro Park with a CITO day since I think that would help to improve our relationship with the parks....I'll start another topic about this too.

Mr. 0

Ok, I got the page posted. Here it is. And RB, I know why you wanted me to post it, not because I was doing the leg work, but because you wanted to be able to add another find to your list. I see how it is, I'll make sure to delete your log when it pops up. icon_razz.gif

Mr. 0

I'm in for 4..XL on all

Are we going to get the "official" trash bags or are we just planning on using what the park gives us? Doesn't matter to me, just curious. If we do get the CITO bags, I'd be willing to help on cost.

Mr. 0

[This message was edited by Mr. 0 on April 01, 2003 at 10:48 AM.]

Shirts are available for sale, they look pretty cool. $3 a shirt which is pretty good. I can take orders and place one big order so we can save on shipping if folks want me to. I'll just hand them out at the event. The bags are only .25 each so let me know if we want to order any of those as well.

Anyone know how long ground shipping usually takes? We could also do 3 day shipping, but I assume that costs more.

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

Last time I ordered from Groundspeak (4 TB's and 2 License plate frames) it took about a week for me to receive it. Well it WOULD have taken a week....the package showed up at UPS' terminal in Obetz the same day we got that big snow in Feb.

Hmmm, .25/ea for trash bags seems a little pricey to me but either way, if we want 'em I have no problem with helping to cover the cost.

BTW I just check the logs on Iota and Jez's new cache and saw you were doing some "birthday caching"....Happy Birthday, RB.

Mr. 0

Thanks Mr. 0. Must be getting older, couldn't find the Time Flies cache that day, which is a whole different thread at this point. Anyway...

I'll put the order in for shirts on April 17th at the latest, just to make sure we get them in time. And we can skip on the bags unless someone specifically wants me to order them. Otherwise we can bring our own.

So far I have Bjorn's and M&M Speedracers down for shirts, as well as Neo and myself. Anyone else want me to order shirts, just let me know. Thanks.

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

Just a thought here....I don't know if there's enough time, or if everyone thinks it would be a good idea. But what if we were to contact the Columbus Dispatch and see if they would want to do a small article about our efforts. It would be a way to get a good name out there for us.

Mr. 0

So, RB, do you haev any idea how many folks we should be expecting next Sunday?

Mr. 0

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

Mr. 0

Good thing you mentioned it being on Sunday. I had a really complicated scheme going that had me making a mad dash to watch my footballers at 4pm on Saturday. Plus, I just realized that I agreed to something from 10-2 the same day...

Man, I need a palm thingy...

quote:
Originally posted by Bjorn74:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

Mr. 0

Good thing you mentioned it being on Sunday. I had a really complicated scheme going that had me making a mad dash to watch my footballers at 4pm on Saturday. Plus, I just realized that I agreed to something from 10-2 the same day...

Man, I need a palm thingy...

Ahhhh well actually I screwed up in that post, it is Saturday 4/26

Mr. 0

Nevin1977....and anyone else for that matter.

I'd suggest bringing the GPSr for sure to this. There are a bunch of caches around Alum Creek that you could hit tomorrow. Some of them are pretty close to the Marina where we're meeting, others are a 10-15 min drive at the most. I think there's about 7-8 that are right around the lake.

Mr. 0