Garmin eTrex (yellow)

SirDonB

I recently bought a geocahers lot of supplies off ebay and included in it was a Garmin eTrex GPSr. If I wanted to, I could sit down and manually input all the data for the caches I plan to use it for to find. However, rather than sitting down, printing out and inputting the data I need while watching my favorite show, I would like to upload from the PC to the GPSr the PQ file info. My question is how do you do it? The GPS came with a serial cable, but I do not have a port to hook it up to at home, so I purchased the USB cable. The new cable came today and I went to hook it up and the comp does not reconise the GPS. What am I missing/doing wrong? I will, if I have to, manually input the data, but would like a less time consumming way to do it.

I have been caching with a smartphone, but the caches I want to find, I have not due to poor/no reception on the phones GPS.

I recently bought a geocahers lot of supplies off ebay and included in it was a Garmin eTrex GPSr. If I wanted to, I could sit down and manually input all the data for the caches I plan to use it for to find. However, rather than sitting down, printing out and inputting the data I need while watching my favorite show, I would like to upload from the PC to the GPSr the PQ file info. My question is how do you do it? The GPS came with a serial cable, but I do not have a port to hook it up to at home, so I purchased the USB cable. The new cable came today and I went to hook it up and the comp does not reconise the GPS. What am I missing/doing wrong? I will, if I have to, manually input the data, but would like a less time consumming way to do it.

I have been caching with a smartphone, but the caches I want to find, I have not due to poor/no reception on the phones GPS.

This is the second thread you have started on the same topic. Which thread do you want people to reply to?

either or, I started this one first, then thought it might be better in the "how do i" section. not everyone looks at every thread or section. Having both threads increases my odds of finding the answer to my question. feel free to answer in which ever makes you happy. and if a mod disagrees they can delete which everone they feel is least likey to generate an answer to my question.

If it is an original etrex, then you need a program that communicates with serial model Garmin units. It won't show up as a drive that you can simply copy file to.

Garmin's Mapsource will work fine or a dozen other programs, or GSAK or easyGS, or...... A large list is here: http://www.geocaching.com/software/default.aspx

I also doubt the GPS will be much better than a phone. It is pretty old school.

Edited by Red90

A Serial / USB cable will usually require the installation of software.....sometimes it comes with the cable and sometimes you have to download it off the web.

An ordinairy USB to serial cable may not work. No idea why. I have always used a dedicatd USB to Garmin etrex cable. This is the old etrex not the new model with same name. Other posters may not be aware of this old Garmin GPSr. I still use mine with the special cable. The software is set to etrex yellow using serial connection of COM:1 to 8 depending on what port your cable software chooses as virtual COM port. Look in system properties for COM ports, not USB.

I have and still use my etrex yellow as it is more accurate and quicker than my smartphone.

EasyGPS software (free version) will load multiple GCs on to an old etrex, assuming you get right cable. So will GSAK. Only load today's intended finds or etrex will fill with unfound GCs. Only 500 GCs capacity. Delete GC once found or delete all before loading more. Can always load more in the field, manually. USE GSAK or EasyGPS as master database.

NB Always plug USB end of special cable in to same USB port to use same COM port number. Saves time looking in System Properties each time. In UK I buy special cable mail order.

The old etrex yellow is running software version 3.1 Also ensure you have set coordinate system on etrex to DD.MMMMM or DD MM.MMM this sets datum to WGS84, which is what you aiming for. You can not set datum, but coordinate choice chooses relevant datum. Groundspeak use WGS84 datum. Other mistakes will occur.

Oh and use rechargeable batteries and carry spare batteries. NiMh or eneloop 2000 mAh are preferred.

HTH

My etrex old records my Track to save using EasyGPS and then stitch in to photos taken, called geotagging. Yes I know my phone will do that but camera is better optics.

If any further help wanted please feel free to contact me through profile.