Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
doda23

HELP, I am new member

Hello,

please, I want to start geocaching, but I dont understand some things. Whats different between "multicash" and "ordinary cash"? How can I count on coordinate (A+B-DxE?)? Last question: can I find "cash" without smartphone? I have got only paper map.

Sorry for my english:-).

Thank you.

Goodbye Dominik.

A multicache is a multi-stage cache. You gather information to find the final cache's coordinates at each stage. It can have 2 stages (one where you gather information, the 2nd being the actual cache placement) up to dozens of stages. It all counts as just one find.

A regular cache is just one set of coordinates, and you go to it, and there's the cache.

"How can I count on coordinate (A+B-DxE?)?" This sounds like calculating the multi-cache's final coordinates. I would say to NOT do these for now. Get some regular caches found first, and then start working on multi-caches.

"Last question: can I find "cash" without smartphone? I have got only paper map." I HIGHLY doubt you'll be able to find caches without either a GPS unit or a GPS-enabled smartphone. Sometimes you can search the coordinates at Google Maps (satellite view) or other websites and get an idea of where the cache might be, but for most caches that would be very, very hard.

"Last question: can I find "cash" without smartphone? I have got only paper map." I HIGHLY doubt you'll be able to find caches without either a GPS unit or a GPS-enabled smartphone. Sometimes you can search the coordinates at Google Maps (satellite view) or other websites and get an idea of where the cache might be, but for most caches that would be very, very hard.
I found hundreds of geocaches without a GPS receiver before I finally bought one. All the GPS receiver does is get you to ground zero, where you can start your search for the container. If you can get to ground zero without a GPS receiver, then you can find a cache without a GPS receiver.

There's more info in this Cacheopedia article:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Geocaching_sans_GPS

Maybe edscott will notice this one...

Over six thousand finds. Last I knew, most with a map and compass.

A multicache is a multi-stage cache. You gather information to find the final cache's coordinates at each stage. It can have 2 stages (one where you gather information, the 2nd being the actual cache placement) up to dozens of stages. It all counts as just one find.

A regular cache is just one set of coordinates, and you go to it, and there's the cache.

"How can I count on coordinate (A+B-DxE?)?" This sounds like calculating the multi-cache's final coordinates. I would say to NOT do these for now. Get some regular caches found first, and then start working on multi-caches.

Thank you for information:-).

Okay, I guess you can do it without a GPS. I'm not savvy enough with maps and compasses to find GZ in the middle of the woods. ;)

Okay, I guess you can do it without a GPS. I'm not savvy enough with maps and compasses to find GZ in the middle of the woods. ;)

It isn't really that hard if you have a good aerial photo. It is most important to check how accurately the aerial photos in your area are are referenced to coordinates. Find a cache that is known to have good coordinates and is in a place that is easy to identify from above, then look at the map and see how accurately it depicted. If it is correct you are ready to find other caches in the area. If it isn't, note the distance and direction of the error and factor that in for future hunts. Start with caches that are near features that are easy to identify in the aerial photo. As you gain experience using the compass and interpreting the photo you'll find most caches can be done without a GPS if you are not in a hurry and don't have any pressing numerical goals. In the photo first see the evergreens on the left side. They form a large enough target that they can be found from several hundred yards away. Then look East and find the tree just beyond the red pin that isn't lined up with all the others. The other "trees" are really the shadows of trees, but the one that is out of line is a downed tree. Find that one in the woods then use it to walk back to the red pin where the cache is located. The scale has been trimmed off this photo, but I'd suggest keeping it on the maps for the first several months of GPS-less caching.

5077cc34-f3e0-4539-8f72-0a8d6dc36390.jpg?rnd=0.6906622

Edited by edscott