Does anyone know what this is?

RetroJ

I found this item at a cache. It's a photocopy of a dollar bill, and the portrait of Washington has been replaced by a capital D. There are coordinates instead of a serial number, and "e-trex vista" has been printed on the bill. I thought the coordinates would lead to a cache but they led to private land. What is this item?

thanks,

John

Other cachers mentioned retrieving clues for another cache, can't remember which one, in the logs of this one. Did you check that cache to see if what you got was that? How about e-mail one of the previous finders and ask?

Let us know what you find out, don't want to be left hanging!

charlotte of bloomcru

I think the clues you're thinking of are for the All 4 One cache. There was one of those there, and we've already found that one. One thought was that maybe it's a signature item and the coordinates point to this person's home. However, there's no signature on the bill, only the company logo. Also, we assumed the the coordinates were WGS84, as all others are on geocaching.

Nope, that's in Chicago and the coordinates on the bill point to a trailor park on Bowes Street in Lowell, Michigan. I did try setting the coordinates as my home coordinates and searching for nearby caches, but none matched. Perhaps tomorrow I'll try using the coordinates as NAD27.

icon_mad.gificon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gificon_smile.gificon_wink.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_frown.gif

I believe it is simply the signiture item for a person in Lowell that is also an electician.

It's not in the online log but I think that if you check the cache log there is mention of it.

It's pretty common to find items like that with either home or business coordinates.

Rusty...

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

quote:
Originally posted by Gary and Mary Adventurers:

The idea that a 'signature' item has to carry a signature is not exactly right. I have heard of folks leaving wooden nickles and other such items as signature items. The idea is when you see that item lots of folks will know who left it.

ok, but isnt a sig. item suppose to be something that you know is from another cacher. so when you see it you say, "oh this is one of so&so whats you call it". IF you just make up anything and start leaving them how is anyone suppose to know the heck it is? icon_confused.gif

whack.gif

I think that the geocaching cards I've seen are excellent signature items. If I place a cache I will certainly make it a goal to collect a deck of them. The dollar bill photocopy is yet undecided. Conjecturing now, it will be pasted in a geocaching scrapbook, and when I see it again some day, I will remark "There's that mysterious dollar bill that leads to a trailor park in Lowell."

j

I live in Mo. and have found several (what looks like copied) $100 bills with the Groundspeak emblem on them. I don't know what they mean or what to do with them. I'm wondering if it's a takeoff the the where's george? Also, can I post them on where'sgeorge.com or are they just to travel around the in caches? Please let me know something.........thanks icon_eek.gif

If those photocopied bills have a valid serial number you can type them into Where's George, but that web site has a note somewhere about only tracking genuine bills. Someone else could get those photocopied ones cancelled. I tried to type in the serial number on $100 bill wrapping paper and was presented with a rude message about that not being valid due to being printed in a public place. I deleted my account. I really wanted to know where else in the world people had that wrapping paper!