Does your caching name still suit you?

MI_CO

When I started caching, I picked my caching name because, obviously, I lived in Michigan and was an avid golfer (spent most of my free time golfing, with the occasional geocache thrown in).

Well, I now live in Colorado and haven't golfed regularly in three years. If I go to a local event, people think I am visiting from out-of-state. I have mentioned at I am thinking of placing some caches locally, and am asked how I will maintain them living 1200 miles away.

Anyone else feel this way about their caching name? Any way to change my name without losing all my finds (and premium membership)?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=115 is the link on how to change your name...

You will keep all your hides, and finds, and everything else. The only thing is if you have placed any caches they will still have your old name on them (it will link to your profile, and you can change it)

Since my geoname is based on my real name I will never have it not fit me, unless I go into witness protection again. :ph34r:

Edited by T.D.M.22

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=115 is the link on how to change your name...

You will keep all your hides, and finds, and everything else. The only thing is if you have placed any caches they will still have your old name on them (it will link to your profile, and you can change it)

Since my geoname is based on my real name I will never have it not fit me, unless I go into witness protection again. :ph34r:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! When I first wanted to change my cache name, this feature was not available. Thanks, again! Hopefully what I have in mind isn't already taken (just a play on my original name).

My caching name still fits me perfectly. fuzzy, is because I sell carpet, and belly is for my six pack abs :)

You can check them out at Geocachealaska.org, click on the "photo Gallery" above the picture, I'm number 7 in the " 2013 whimsy" section. If you dare, that is. And to think, I almost made the cover of the 2014 calendar, I was almost a cover model :)

I changed my username some time back. This current one has worked since around 2005. My first username was a ham radio call, but I'm not even licensed anymore (ham radio is so dumb now). I'll never get bored of mother natures extreme force and I love "battling" the elements.

I never give out my amature radio call sign, but I still hunt Possums. :ph34r:

Excellent question...I'd have to go into the "doesn't fit anymore" category, I guess. When I first started caching I was chief of a volunteer fire department and Chief 301 was my radio call sign. I always figured I'd be in the fire service till the day I died and would be chief for a good many years. But a few months ago, after 24 years of service, I reached the decision that it was time to hang it up. So now I've got this caching name that doesn't really work anymore

I haven't really considered changing it though.....now that I've got a lot more free time on my hands I've got more active in Geocaching and I'm getting to know a lot more cachers personally, so my handle is a little more recognized locally....not sure if I'd want to change it now and confuse everybody. 😳

I have loved my caching name more and more over the years. I am so glad that I started caching early, and was able to lock it in, because it's always taken on any other site.

I've recently learned that it is actually a form of my real name, so it's extremely apropos.

I hope I never move, but even though my name is also somewhat regional (Ambrosia apples), I'd be happy to carry a reminder of my hometown around with me. :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! When I first wanted to change my cache name, this feature was not available. Thanks, again! Hopefully what I have in mind isn't already taken (just a play on my original name).

Hmm. This feature was around when I first created an account. It originally had all lowercase when I signed up, and the next day I edited my name to have the "N" and "S" capitalized.

:unsure:

Hmm. This feature was around when I first created an account. It originally had all lowercase when I signed up, and the next day I edited my name to have the "N" and "S" capitalized.

:unsure:

The ability to change your username has changed over the years. When I first started, users were able to change their handles anytime they wanted. Then there was a period of time (I don't remember the dates) when changes weren't allowed at all. Then it changed to the procedures in place now.

And to answer the original question, my geoname still suits me.

My name currently fits, and I have changed it once after I found out on my own how to... I have thought about changing it again to make it more personal, but cant figure out how I want to do that just yet. If I come up with a good one that is not taken at that point, I may change it then, but for now, I like my caching name.

The beakdown is that the Sir is for the noble blood my family name comes from and the Bowen is for one of my favorite movie charactors and one of the main charactors from "Dragonheart."

I hope I never move, but even though my name is also somewhat regional (Ambrosia apples), I'd be happy to carry a reminder of my hometown around with me. :)

It's a brand name for tinned rice pudding here :-)

Mine fits. Always will really.

That's true! We can get that here in the states, as well. I'd like to try it, but I can't eat milk products.

You can edit the co on the cache page, so you can have your new name!

I've had 2 user names before my current one. I started out as marshall23, which was my first name, followed by my unit number for the volunteer fire department. When I moved away, I was no longer on the fire department, so the "23" didn't mean anything, so I changed it to IowaFoamr, to reflect my new location and occupation. Too many cachers I met thought I said IowaFarmer, so I decided to change it again to a less confusing name. At that point, I decided to make it something that wouldn't have to change again. My current name (Kacher82) is simply a deliberate misspelling of "cacher", and the year I was born. That will never change, so I'm good to go now.

Edited by Kacher82

all the good names like barnacle bear, bucknut63, scuba, roadkill109, stumpy75, team mina, keystone, good dog, cheech gang, yogi57, jinkle, gizmo guy 411,

T hunter, pbz, the bearclaws, mdwalsh, and gramababy13 were already taken, ;) so i was left with such a nana, which i am, and yes, it still fits...

Not for about 5 years now. My name is a combination from MOTORcycle and travel BUG. I rode a motorcycle on and off for nearly 50 years until 2008 when my riding group broke up and my mortality became apparent. I found a couple of hundred caches or so riding I'd guess. I liked both the GC travel bugs and regular traveling but my interest in the GC bugs has waned and my travel is limited by a back injury.

A few years ago I was at a small local event with Jeremy and a lackey where I mentioned that I would like to change my name. This was during the years that it could not just be done. The lackey said, sure, shoot up an email. Several of my friends there strongly objected so I remain with what it is.

Edited by MotorBug

I'm not sure why I picked this name way back when. It might be because I didn't think that I would actually have to use it - I only signed on so that I could check something on the GPS Forum. It still fits, though, and everyone knows me by it.

The name has nothing to do with fishing. I used to fish a lot, but you can count on one hand the times I have been since I started geocaching in December 2009.