Place your own Lab Cache!?!?!

geocat_

I was just thinking of how to hide my first lab cache and I got a really good Idea in my head! and now I like the idea so much that if it is not implemented I will be sad! Seeing as this is its new type of geocache, separate from the rest, I figure this method could work. I feel like when creating a lab cache you can have the OPTION to have "virtual" stages for your cache. What I mean is you can set a location to start, once you arrive at GZ, on your phone, a message will appear with your instructions on where to go next. and once you go to the next area another message will appear on your phone and perhaps get the information to the final where the code could be hidden. I know that not everyone has a smart phone, but like I said it could be an option.

Being able to have virtual stages would allow you to hide caches in locations that are of high traffic without looking suspicious, and will also not mess with other caches nearby as there is not a physical cache to find. Just think of the possibilities!

This is basically how Wherigo's work, so if lab caches do not develop into anything, you could create a Wherigo. The big difference is that to list a Wherigo on geocaching.com, you have to have a physical container at the end with a logbook.

You don't just go out with a common GPS unit and create or find a Wherigo. Big difference. I could develop a I <3 Lab cache with Virtual stages and a final with a log book to sign that you don't need anything special to find. :)

Maybe I should have also explained what im picturing in my head as virtual stages. Just picture yourself in the app and you are at the first stage of the cache. you click on the cache name and you are now on the lab cache page. there could be a button "Clue 1, or clue, or stage" etc... that is not highlighted, and once you are within 20 meters of the stage that button becomes highlighted or filled with color indicating that you can now click it. once clicked a new message will pop up on your screen with new information for the next stage and that now highlighted button becomes blank again until your smartphone is within 20 meters of the next virtual stage. I think the final could be a physical logbook with the code that you need or it could be virtual with the code in the final code. Just think you could make some cool puzzles to find the next stage and you would know that the geocacher is in the right spot in order to get the clue. Virtual letterboxing would be cool. Just think get to a specific spot and you are then able to click on that button and your letterboxing clues appear only in that one spot!

I still use a Garmin GPSMAP 60, no iPhone, no apps, no Wherigo cartridiges, not Chirp enabled. I Waymark, and Wherigo sounds very interesting, but I'm still limited to just a basic GPS unit that is quite accurate. :) If I understand correctly more is needed for a Wherigo cache. :unsure:

I didn't see many forum posts that were opposed to the idea of lab caches.

I encountered quite a number of them, but not in the Groundspeak forum and not in the English speaking world.

In this forum, I share your impression that most of the posts were dealing with with concerns and with suggestions for changes.

I've seen zero discussion of the whole thing on the various group pages I belong to. That doesn't necessarily speak to (or against) the popularity of it...but I don't really "feel it".

Personally, I would rather two things:

A - open to as few or as many people as the creator chooses

B - no expiration...or, at the very least, extended beyond February 28. Maybe limit the creation of the lab cache to February, but it seems like the finding ought not be so limited.

I'm not really interested in arguments against my two points...just stating what it would take to get me more enthusiastic about it - enthusiastic enough to want to spend time making one.

I've seen zero discussion of the whole thing on the various group pages I belong to. That doesn't necessarily speak to (or against) the popularity of it...but I don't really "feel it".

Personally, I would rather two things:

A - open to as few or as many people as the creator chooses

B - no expiration...or, at the very least, extended beyond February 28. Maybe limit the creation of the lab cache to February, but it seems like the finding ought not be so limited.

I'm not really interested in arguments against my two points...just stating what it would take to get me more enthusiastic about it - enthusiastic enough to want to spend time making one.

A - the same lab cache structure was used for the mega event temp caches under the Lab Cache type. Basically, your A suggestions was the previous lab cache experiment :) This particular one though seems to be specifically trying out a single-find listing concept. And probably not taking off as well as they'd hoped, though there are some people who really did take advantage and try some unique ideas. I suppose we'll see what the general results are after February (if GS even decides to provide a public overview of the I<3G experiment :ph34r:)

B - understandable. That's more an issue with the test period, but likely they chose it mostly because Valentine's Day! and potential other reasons people may utilize. And a test period would need to end sometime. Maybe they thought 1 month would be enough to decide, make, and find one of them. *shrug*

Edited by thebruce0
Maybe I should have also explained what im picturing in my head as virtual stages. Just picture yourself in the app and you are at the first stage of the cache. you click on the cache name and you are now on the lab cache page. there could be a button "Clue 1, or clue, or stage" etc... that is not highlighted, and once you are within 20 meters of the stage that button becomes highlighted or filled with color indicating that you can now click it. once clicked a new message will pop up on your screen with new information for the next stage and that now highlighted button becomes blank again until your smartphone is within 20 meters of the next virtual stage. I think the final could be a physical logbook with the code that you need or it could be virtual with the code in the final code. Just think you could make some cool puzzles to find the next stage and you would know that the geocacher is in the right spot in order to get the clue. Virtual letterboxing would be cool. Just think get to a specific spot and you are then able to click on that button and your letterboxing clues appear only in that one spot!

And that's just what Intercaching.com provides us. Without all dificulties of a Wherigo.

I think you have to make one to know what it is. It's something like a Wherigo but much easier and also with a mobile website to build it. Just like the I <3 geocaching concept but with much more potential. And you bring the whole thing as a multicache to geocaching.com. I made one in the past and it's much more pleasant then the lab cache. I thought that GS had more something like this in mind but it turned out differently and disappointing if you ask me.

I think you have to make one to know what it is. It's something like a Wherigo but much easier and also with a mobile website to build it. Just like the I <3 geocaching concept but with much more potential. And you bring the whole thing as a multicache to geocaching.com. I made one in the past and it's much more pleasant then the lab cache. I thought that GS had more something like this in mind but it turned out differently and disappointing if you ask me.

I have made a dozen of wherigos and gave a try to make a Lab cache (on the web), too. I must say it is uncomparable. Plain text to describe the whole adventure is far from the nearly virtual reality in WIG. WIG is far from excellent. However, it is quite popular though Groundspeak cares very little for it (the official builder has stopped as Beta in 2008 and most players and builders have been developed by the community to let it live and to use its potential). The Lab cache may be a simpler form of WIG for the masses. However, I doubt this concept could be successful.

kikonan, the bit you quote wasn't about Lab caches, it was about intercaches.

An intercache is rather like Wherigo, but instead of the cart being loaded to the device with zones triggered by moving into them, the cart is on a server, and is activated as the device indicates to the server that it's in the area. Can only be done with certain gps enabled smartphones, those that will broadcast their location back to the server.

There's no reason you couldn't write a Wherigo (or intercache), and link to it from your Lab Cache page. For the effort in that, I'd guess it would be likely that once the intended receiver logs it as Lab Cache, perhaps some minor tweaks, and write it up as a regular cache...

The intercaching.com page refers one to geocaching.com for more information. Where on the geocaching.com site can one find the information about intercaching?

It refers to geocaching.com for more information about geocaching - there is no information about intercaching there. It's on my list of stuff to do to write a proper how to and tutorial for intercaching.

A lab cache and an intercache are using similar technology. While an intercache is pretty much separate from the geocaching site and you need a separate account to create one (but not play one), a lab cache is part of the geocaching.com site and you don't need a separate account to create or play one.

One of my muggle daughters planted birthday party items all over a 1.5 mile distance and had me gathering the things I needed for the party (hats, favors, silly dress-up stuff to wear while I was caching, etc). It was a ton of fun and clever on her part. It would have made it easier for her if she could have used this concept. I see lots of fun potential, and am glad they are trying new things. If I don't like it after I try it, I don't bother with it again. This attitude also helps me just have fun without scrutinizing the efficacy or point. Different strokes...

A lab cache and an intercache are using similar technology.

Do you really think so? I cannot see interactive elements in lab caches and the submission form for lab caches reminds me of the early times of usenet.

Cezanne

The early times of usenet was all command line based. It preceded the web by many years. How were you able to see what the submission form is like as a basic member?

The early times of usenet was all command line based. It preceded the web by many years. How were you able to see what the submission form is like as a basic member?

Yes, I'm aware of what the usenet was like and have experienced it myself. What I referred to was Ascii, no html, length restrictions and other limitations. I just wrote reminds me .... not is the same.

I have many friends who are PMs and moreover one of them told me about the many issues that arose in the creating process of a lab cache (including the stripping off of umlauts and other letters that are essential for many European languages from the gpx file). Have you ever tried to read a text in German or even worse in a Slavic language if all non English characters are removed at all? (I.e. not only the accents are removed, but all the effected characters.)

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Yes, I'm aware of what the usenet was like and have experienced it myself. What I referred to was Ascii, no html, length restrictions and other limitations. I just wrote reminds me .... not is the same.

I was a usenet site administrator and frequent user in 1984 and the submission form did not remind me of the early days of Usenet or even the early days of the web at all.

I have many friends who are PMs and moreover one of them told me about the many issues that arose in the creating process of a lab cache (including the stripping off of umlauts and other letters that are essential for many European languages from the gpx file). Have you ever tried to read a text in German or even worse in a Slavic language if all non English characters are removed at all? (I.e. not only the accents are removed, but all the effected characters.)

Cezanne

I don't understand German or any of the Slavic languages, so no, I haven't tried it. I have, however, written several software applications which have multi-language support so I have a good understanding of how much complexity it adds. For an experimental project that is only intended to be live for a month (basically , a proof of concept) it's quite understandable to me why it might not be full featured.

Redirected to this thread from another...

I've both found AND placed a lab cache and have given feedback to Groundspeak on my experience as a finder. I didn't get the chance to give feedback on my experience as a setter and would like to do that now. There were a few things I found tricky

•  
  • The data fields are surprisingly small (so I had to mail the hint and size details separately, and change the name several times).
  • There are only 3 choices of theme - none of which matched the theme of the special cache I was hiding for that person.
  • The marketing was particularly misleading (and a bit inappropriate to single cachers) in that it emphasised the romantic couple caching aspect so giving the impressing with the <3 theme and the Feb launch that it was for lovey-dovey couples... when it can be for anyone. That put me off a bit to begin with.
  • I didn't get notification of the find when my placed lab cache was found by my friend. She had to tell me on a well-known social networking site.
  • The co-ords did not reflect what I actually typed in, and insisted on being some distance away. This was countered by setting a puzzle-style cache which meant I could give the true co-ords in the puzzle.
  • It doesn't seem to ADD anything new to the game for a hider and while I liked the fact I could leave a prize at GZ for my friend, it does seem a little bit like shame to have only one finder. I wonder how widespread it will become if a CO has to go through the hiding process each time for every finder they get.
  • It seems to be nice for those cachers who have friends in the caching community but does rather exclude those who haven't had a chance to make friends yet, (or who perhaps might find it difficult in social situations) which doesn't seem fair.

Since this thread is still rolling I thought I would share the lab cache that made.

Here it is. TWO VIDEOS! I go out and hide, an "I heart geocaching" lab cache for TheGCDoc and he goes out to find it.

Watch to see what unique location the final brings him, and the MAGIC that ensues.

Watch the video of me hiding the lab cache:

Watch the video of the geocache being found:

Enjoy!

Glad to see this thread still going, and moved on to what people think about creating their own lab caches. I also created a lab cache for an event I hosted last weekend and wanted to provide some feedback/comments. As someone already mentioned, the survey on the lab-cache site is geared towards finders, not the creators.

One thing I really like about the lab-cache format is how it can be used to generate more participation at events. As many people in these forums know, any one showing up at an event location at the right time can post an attended log, regardless of whether they participate. If you are putting a lot of time and effort into creating an event with fun activities, it is somewhat of a let-down when folks do not wish to participate. Having a lab-cache style find that is directly linked to participation seems like a great solution to this, and it appears that is exactly how they are being used at Megas. It give the people that choose to participate something extra for their effort, but does not deprive those not wishing to participate their "attend" log. It would be very cool to see Groundspeak provide a platform such as the I <3 Geocaching one for all events. For the lab-cache I created, I designed a Scavenger Hunt in my town with geocaching-related tasks: My Lab Cache. There was a challenging puzzle, a difficult terrain cache, a multi, some trackable-related hunts and some picture ID stuff. I tried to appeal to a broad spectrum of cachers. This all could have been done for my event without the lab-cache aspect, and the results could have been much the same; some people participated and some did not. Still, having the lab-cache "find" out there for those who participate is a nice bonus for them, or at least extra incentive to participate. I only wish I could have allowed more than one person the ability to log a find on the lab-cache as a way to reward those that participated. Of course, there are those that would consider this as creating an ALR-event-geocache-monster :o , and they may have a point. Perhaps some set of guidelines and Reviewer-oversight of the new cache type could stem those concerns. More study is needed....

Concerning the technical side of the I <3 Geocaching lab-caches, I wasn't able to get HTML to work in the text fields (simple links!) and I found the format all too restrictive. So I ended up using a 3rd-party web-resource to create my lab-cache scavenger hunt, and the I <3 Geocaching url was mostly useless. If more of these things are going to be done, it would be good to have a more complete system.

As for creating something for an individual but still have it count as a public find, this really doesn't make sense to me. Geocaching is a public hobby with all caches open to everyone. Despite the fact that certain "public" caches are only found by people with certain abilities (mental, physical or otherwise) the geocaches themselves are open for the public to see. You can watch an impossible-for-you challenge cache to see what kind of crazy cachers come through your area, or keep tabs on that island geocache to see who is boating/swimming. And then you can read the stories that people post. This is fun, especially for those hard to log caches. And it also helps grow a community, where people are interested in what those around them are doing and achieving. Having private caches that only one other person can see or find seems like it would result in a less open community aspect to the game. I'm not really sure even what the point is of having private-person geocaches tied into the Geocaching website. Anyone can create something special for someone else, and then tell them about it (like in a simple email) for that persons enjoyment. Why have it tied into the public geocaching.com database? Is there some kind of satisfaction in knowing that you found something created just for you, and that everyone else can see you found something special, but they can't know what it was (unless you blog/vlog about it, thanks geocachingvlogger!)? Just plain odd if you ask me.

In conclusion, I had fun with the experiment. The platform itself was not the source of the fun, but the underlying concept of having a findable cache that is temporary and tied to an event appeals to me, and would spur me to host/create more interesting events, as well as entice me to attend/participate in these kinds of fun events. I'll be keeping watch to see what comes next.

Fugads - that was an interesting implementation! In a sense, you made the lab cache 'find' a reward for the first to successfully complete what could have otherwise just been a regular part of the event (done outside the lab platform). The Lab Cache was literally the container for the scavenger hunt, which could have even been handed out on paper at the event - you could have offered as the prize both the lab url and its find code, but instead made the lab cache itself the scavenger and the prize just the find code.

I agree that in that case it would be nice to allow more than one find. Or perhaps even, if used as a prize, limit the number of finds (eg the first 3 to complete the scavenger hunt will be able to log it found) -- effectively no different than offering any other prize to the top 3.

Fugads - that was an interesting implementation! In a sense, you made the lab cache 'find' a reward for the first to successfully complete what could have otherwise just been a regular part of the event (done outside the lab platform). The Lab Cache was literally the container for the scavenger hunt, which could have even been handed out on paper at the event - you could have offered as the prize both the lab url and its find code, but instead made the lab cache itself the scavenger and the prize just the find code.

I agree that in that case it would be nice to allow more than one find. Or perhaps even, if used as a prize, limit the number of finds (eg the first 3 to complete the scavenger hunt will be able to log it found) -- effectively no different than offering any other prize to the top 3.

If I could have allowed more people to log the lab-cache, I would have designed the Scavenger hunt such that by completing the different tasks you figure out more parts of the completion code. Then cachers that complete the scavenger hunt, either as a team or individually would be able to claim the lab-cache as found. If it were done this way, there could still be a FTF aspect (first to complete tasks), but competing against others wouldn't be necessary, only completing the scavenger hunt on whatever day it is meant for (race against a clock so to speak). That would make the lab-cache less of a FTF prize (as it was for me vent), and more of a reward for participating. Heck, I could even leave it available for multiple days so that people could have all week to complete the scavenger hunt, I would just need to make the tasks/clues robust enough to survive that long. The bottom line is, using this platform to reward participation is what appeals to me, and unfortunately, I could only execute it this way by making this lab-cache a FTF-prize of sorts.