What is the most expensive geocoins out there

TheWeatherWarrior

I am not into geocoins other than as trackables I grab and drop (like travel bugs). But seeing just how crazy the collectible value of them has become and how coveted some are about certain coins, I got to thinking...what the most expensive geocoins out there.

Now, I'm not talking about the manufacture side, strictly talking about retail side and/or the collectable value via auctions or individual sales (like eBay completed sales, etc.).

I now the Tranquility coins fetch a pretty penny, Dark side of the cache can get up there... The most valuable/sought after coin that cannot be sold(request of owner) to my knowledge is the Moun10Bike coins... If they could be sold I'm sure ppl would go broke trying to obtain them.. There is probably more expensive ones out there this is just a few I have seen around...

Tranquilities, Dark Side of the Cache, Any year's Limited Edition versions of the Compass Rose Geocoins expecially the Yemon Yime Versions, AE versions of Popular geocoins (mainly because of the low minting numbers), Event Versions of Popular geocoins (Such as MOGA, GCF, MWGB etc). All of these tend to have higher than normal collectible value/$ value but like many collectibles, it goes up and down depending on supply and demand. The one that I see consistently retain a high value is the Yemon Yime Compass Rose versions (usually only minted in 42 or 21 geocoins per version). Yemon Yime rarely sells them (usually only for charity purposes) and generally gives them out to others as gifts or trades. The low minting numbers mean that few people end up with duplicates and rarely trade out of their collections increasing the rarity of getting one. The tranquility geocoins are the same but with 38 versions and hundreds minted, they still are more readily available for purchase/trade. The moun10bike coins are valuable for trade/collection because of the geocaching historical value of having one. Most of the versions of Moun10bike geocoins have been minted in the thousands of geocoins so they aren't rare because of there is not many of them but because most people don't want to let go a part of geocaching history. My first geocoin designed and minted by geocoinstore.com sold roughly 100 geocoins each version and was not considered a great seller but currently fetch $40-$60 on eBay with the AE version (25 minted) getting $50-$75. I have seen Tranquility Geocoins list as $100 - $180 as a buy it now option but when listed as an auction format go anywhere from $40 - $80 dollars. Most of the values go up and down like any other collectible.

For sure one of the most expensive geocoins right now are the Terrain 666 coins. There are 7 versions with 666 coins in total. Even the version with the highest minting numbers (200) is sold on eBay for more than 130$. The version with the lowest minting numbers (Snow Devil - 15 minted) was sold a few weeks ago for over 600$. Germany is crazy about those coins - maybe not only about those coins :laughing:

I don't think there are thousands of Mount10Bike V1's out there.... or some of the other personal coins he created such as the Mount10Bike Xmas coins, Mount10Tyke... more like a couple of hundred if that! They are traded or moved, borrowed, lent to folks to allow discoveries of the first geocoins out there. B)

Edited by JoenSue

I don't think there are thousands of Mount10Bike V1's out there.... or some of the other personal coins he created such as the Mount10Bike Xmas coins, Mount10Tyke... more like a couple of hundred if that!

FYI, information about Moun10Bike coins can be found at his website.

Version 1 - 200 coins

Version 2 - 200 coins

Version 3 - 500 coins

Version 4 - ?

Version 5 - ?

2005 Coinament - 100 coinaments

2006 Coinament - 100 coinaments

2007 Coinament - 100 coinaments

I have seen pictures of Moun10Tyke coin, but don't know where to find any information about it.

I just picked this one up for $35 off ebay (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5276727)

If I can remember what I paid for some of the others, I will post up some prices. I usually try to by in lots to keep cost down. This thread makes me wonder if I have picked up any of value.

Maybe someone here can reconize any of them (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=4920393) on my profile. I have managed to get a few older coins that I know are no longer made.

Edit for typo

Edited by SirBowen

It's an interesting if troubling question and one that's been asked a few times before. I know you're looking for concrete numbers, but it's more complicated than that. The most money I've seen coins bought for were actually being sold to raise money for good causes rather than the actual (if only perceived) value of the coins. What might help you in your search would be to ask which coins would you be willing to spend big money on? Then you might be able to track down what the average selling prices of those highly sought after coins were sold for.

Historically, the most coveted seem to be Moun10Bike's coins which are all registered to Jon so even if you have them in hand the chance you could own one are pretty slim. Other top contenders have been Capt. Prozac, Goblindust, DresselDragons, HaberCacher, YemonYime's "old school yime", D22, Eartha Spinner, ROT13, ZombieTribe among others and a whole boat load of AEs, XLEs, etc. The prices seem to fluctuate greatly on these constantly, too. I've traded for some of these, been gifted others and even bought a few and the prices have been anywhere from actual original selling price to up to 8-12 times that price. Sadly, there are some much more rare coins out there that are not highly sought after mostly because people don't know about them. I'm constantly finding "new" coins that have been around for a long time.

We've had a number of people contemplate a collector's guide with prices listed for value similar to baseball cards, but like those cards, I think they'll have to be around a lot longer before that kind of data can be compiled. I'm curious to see what other people would list as their "most willing to pay big bucks for coins" though.

edit to add: HaberCacher - one of kind hand made coins that I've been trying to trade for since they day they arrived on the scene. Thousands of trades later I'm no closer to finding one! :laughing:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

in 2008 ten pure gold Alaska trackable geocoins were made, one ounce each

details here

http://www.geocachealaska.org/coinsales/pastcoins.htm

they originally sold for $1,095

even if they were not geocoins, they would still be worth the current market price of gold

over $1,200 at last check

and while there are several pure silver geocoins out there, I am not aware of any other geocoins that are made of a high-dollar precious metal (gold, platinum, etc)

in 2008 ten pure gold Alaska trackable geocoins were made, one ounce each

[...]

and while there are several pure silver geocoins out there, I am not aware of any other geocoins that are made of a high-dollar precious metal (gold, platinum, etc)

I I have seen a One-Of-A-Kind gold geocoin made for a commemorative purposes for one of my friends. But I don't know the gold purity or the coin weight. But it is not for sale after all... So I guess the golden Alaska Geocoins would be hard to beat for some time.

Out of other expensive geocoins one can mention the sating gold / black Egyptian Scarab which I saw sold for some $400.