Chirp

dadandluc

Just curious. Can you find a cache with the chirp if your GPS doesn't have chirp capabilities?

No....

CHIRP is a wireless signal that only chirp capable GPS units can receive. When you get within close range (20 feet for example) of the chirp device, your GPS will receive the signal. Depending on how the CO has it setup....The chirp signal can be a message or a new set of coordinates.

Just curious. Can you find a cache with the chirp if your GPS doesn't have chirp capabilities?
No....

CHIRP is a wireless signal that only chirp capable GPS units can receive. When you get within close range (20 feet for example) of the chirp device, your GPS will receive the signal. Depending on how the CO has it setup....The chirp signal can be a message or a new set of coordinates.

Note that some chirp caches are set up so that there are alternate non-chirp ways to get the information you need. So you would need a chirp-capable device to get the information from the chirp signal, but you can also complete the cache the "old-fashioned way" without a chirp-capable device.

yes I do... I will make sure when I post my cache I mention that is a chirp cache to make sure people know.

The Guidelines and the Help Center should be thoroughly read before placing a cache.

Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=303

1.18. Beacon Geocaches

In geocaching, a beacon is a wireless device that transmits a brief message, needful to finding a geocache.

Cache owners, please observe the the following requirements:

All geocaches that utilize a wireless beacon must have the "beacon" attribute (pictured above) on the geocache page.

If the cache owner does not provide an alternative means of finding the geocache, it must be listed as an Unknown geocache.

A beacon can be listed as a type other then Unknown, if seekers can find the geocache without being able to receive the beacon's message.

Intermediate waypoints using a beacon should be designated as "Stage of a Multi-Cache"

Cache descriptions may mention NFC (Near Field Communication) or the "Chirp" (a specific beacon) only if the text is brief and does not have overtones of promotion, marketing or advertising, as per our commercial guidelines. Names of GPS companies and compatible models of GPS units are not appropriate on a geocache page.

There are no plans to add a beacon geocache type.

B.

So does this mean that if a smartohone is capable of NFC that you can recieve the Chirp signal? If so, How as I have a few of these caches around me and they will be the only ones I can not find yet. I have downloaded all the related apps I could find to best give me the chance at the one I have closest to me. Is there anything I can do to recieve the signal without having to go out and purchase another GPSr?

So does this mean that if a smartohone is capable of NFC that you can recieve the Chirp signal?

Nope, the Garmin Chirp is a proprietary use of ANT+. It is not the same as NFC, which is in some phones, cameras, and GPS units.

A "wireless beacon" cache could be either Chirp or NFC, although I personally have not seen any of the latter.

I've tried three chirp caches. The first one was very quirky. Weak signal and we had to be in one spot to get it. Second one was dead. Never got any signal. Third one, we got a good strong signal from a distance.

They seem to be quirky. I have eTrex 30 which does receive chirp signals.

Hmmm.. interesting.. I just got a chirp,and am having many issues with it. (see other post called returning chirp) I would say the one I got is definitely "quirky"

I've tried three chirp caches. The first one was very quirky. Weak signal and we had to be in one spot to get it. Second one was dead. Never got any signal. Third one, we got a good strong signal from a distance.

They seem to be quirky. I have eTrex 30 which does receive chirp signals.

Hmmm.. interesting.. I just got a chirp,and am having many issues with it. (see other post called returning chirp) I would say the one I got is definitely "quirky"

Based on comments in the one chirp cache I've done (which I did using the alternate non-chirp clues), the chirp signal is blocked by metal. So metal objects like fence posts, lamp post skirts, or signs can block the signal. And attaching a chirp to something with a magnet is a good indication that you may have problems with chirp reception.