Pocket Query Cut Off

ADKer

I was curious as to what the cut off was for too large pocket queries. What I mean is, say I get a pocket query of every cache 10 miles from New York City. There are indeed more than 1000 caches within that area. So, which ones don't get included? Is it the farthest ones away? Is it alphabetical order? :huh:

I tried searching the forums, but was exactly sure what to type in. Anyway, thanks for the help! :)

I have wondered this myself, but have yet to try and find any info on it. You may not be able to find any info because there may be no limit other than what you set in the PQ setup page. I know the default value is 500 and you are able to change it. If there is a limit or some caches are not included, I would immagine that it would be based off of distance from your starting location.

I have only created 2 PQs and are nowhere near the default value of 500. So I can not say with any expertise. Someone who knows will chime in eventually.

It gets cut off by distance. If you look at the list of caches that gets generated, and go to the last cache on that list, it will show how far from the center point your query reaches. Looking at one of my queries I have it set to 100 mile radius, but the farthest cache in the query is only 9.7 miles.

Wow - it's been 6 years and 5 months since I tested it for this thread.

• If there is a center point of origin (zip code, coordinates, cache, etc.), the farthest ones disappear.
  • If it's for a political boundary (like a state or country), the newest ones drop off.
  • For Route queries: It looks like the non-earth caches are excluded like a political boundary (newest drop off)- EXCEPT that it tries to include some of the earthcaches as well. How many earthcaches, and why particular earthcaches were included was never satisfactorily answered.
  • If you sort the preview results, all bets are off for exclusion rules, but they rules still apply for a full download GPX of scheduled results

If those rules have changed, I'd love to hear from Groundspeak.