Ohio Newbie Introduction

dearthcc

Greetings everyone! I'm new to Geocaching (bad time of year to get started :mad: ) as it is FREEZING in Ohio! I just purchased a second hand Delorme PN-40 which I actually purchased to use on my motorcycle to find some "off road roads". When reading the manual for my Earthmate GPS I was drawn into the idea of Geocaching as my family and I love to hike when the weather is nice. I'm really excited to get going, at this point I'm looking up caches and sending them to my GPS. There are a pretty good selection of hiking trails in the SW Ohio area. I look forward to learning more and finding my first Cache!

Cheers! :D

Did you get the Topo disk set along with the 2nd-hand PN? It is really a good mapping program as it shows many (if not all) of the organized trail systems. As far as simple two-track type trails... well, not so much.

Finding your first cache... that is a different story. :):D

No doubt, you will -- and many more. Just be aware that you need to learn the device and also to shed any preconceived ideas as to what a cache will "look" like and how it may be hidden.

Depending on your computer system, "Send to GPS" may (or may not) be problematic. If you are using Windows and Internet Explorer, read up on changing your "Compatibility Mode" here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1196-internet-explorer-compatibility-view-turn-off.html .

If you are using a browser other than IE, there *shouldn't* be a problem.

Oh... carry spare batteries for the PN, the '40 eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don't ever use cheapie Dollar Store-type batteries. It is a fine unit and once you learn it, you'll love it, I think.

Good luck and Have Fun!

Thank you! Yes I do have the topo maps (2009 versions). I have been using google chrome to send the geocache locations directly from this website to my PN40 and they have all transfered without issue. I just got the PN40 the other day so I have not messed with it much, I did transfer the entire Ohio topo map to it, so I will be good to go. I have transfered a few "tracks" (GPX) files into it as well for when riding season comes back. Thanks for the tip on the battery life!

I have a Delorme PN40 also. Great unit but not without problems. When sending caches to gps if there are any weird characters in the script it can mess up. Just be sure to check that all the caches that you transferred are on the unit before heading out. Sometimes it wipes out part of a file when a weird character comes into play.

Also read up on how to do a soft reset in case you get out there and can't get satellite signals. I have had this happen a few times in a couple of years of use. It does not wipe out your caches so you can do it and then continue on your way. You can find the instructions in the Delorme Support troubleshooting guide on line. Real easy to do. Just a warning, just in case.

Enjoy the sport and the unit.