Can't find downloaded caches on Oregon

Pi Even

I have been using the Oregon 450 for several months. Recently I downloaded a series that all begin with # in the name.

When I got to the trail and pressed find geocaches, the series was not showing up.

At home, I tried to download some of the caches again and got a message that they were already there, do I want to overwrite.

I have looked at waypoints and geocaches on the Oregon, but don't see the downloaded caches.

Any suggestions on how to locate them on the Oregon?

This can happen occasionally with a Garmin GPS, so I understand, not happened to me yet. IIRC the solution is to delete the gpx files, then reboot the GPS. Switch off and then reload the gpx files. You should then see the caches.

It's why some folks place their cache files onto a sd card. If it then happens while out caching you remove the card, boot, switch off, reinstall card and off you go again :)

A well known bug that happens occasionally. The solution mentioned works every time. Hap it happen in the field on my Montana a couple of weeks in the middle of a 25 mile cache/bicycle day.

1. Are you downloding the caches individually (send to GPS) (see 2.) or through a Pocket Query (see 3.)?

2. If you answered individually (example: using the 'send to GPS' features), check that you haven't hit your 200 GPX file limit. Garmin GPS's will only read 200 GPX files. When you reach this limit, geocaches will be "installed" but not viewable on the GPS. Get around this by using Pocket Queries that allow you to package up to 1000 geocaches in a single GPX file. Check the number of .gpx files in your /device/Garmin/GPX folder where 'device' is your device name or drive letter if you're a Windows user.

3. If you're already using Pocket Queries, or even if you're not, try Sussamb's solution above.

Thanks for the replies.

I am downloading individually. Will check the number downloaded. My previous Garmin 60 would beep and have a message that the waypoints were full. I guess Oregon doesn't do that.

Checking the GPX folder, there is s subdirectory GPX\Archive with several files ending in Auto.gpx. Do these count towards the 200? Can I delete them or are they needed?

The GPX folder has several GPX files. Not sure how to see a count without counting them.

Edit- the specs for the Oregon 450 say 200 GPX files, 1000 waypoints, 2000 geocaches. So if I have multiple geocaches in a GPX, will they count towards the 2000 limit?

Edited by Pi Even

Thanks for the replies.

I am downloading individually. Will check the number downloaded. My previous Garmin 60 would beep and have a message that the waypoints were full. I guess Oregon doesn't do that.

Checking the GPX folder, there is s subdirectory GPX\Archive with several files ending in Auto.gpx. Do these count towards the 200? Can I delete them or are they needed?

The GPX folder has several GPX files. Not sure how to see a count without counting them.

Edit- the specs for the Oregon 450 say 200 GPX files, 1000 waypoints, 2000 geocaches. So if I have multiple geocaches in a GPX, will they count towards the 2000 limit?

The Oregon can hold 200 GPX files, and each file can hold many caches, but the total can only be 2000 caches.

The Oregon has a problem indexing them sometimes. To avoid this, you should delete the unwanted GPX files, then disconnect and re-boot, then re-connect and add your new files. Otherwise, you might find that some (or all) of your caches are missing.

The Oregon 650 has gone to the GGZ file (GPX Zipped) which doesn't have this problem but it also supports GPX files.

I think that the auto.gpx files are archived tracks.

Archived tracks do not count toward your GPX limit or your stored track limit.

I would still look into using the pocket query feature as its benefits extend well beyond the 200 gpx file limit problem. For one, you don't have to spend time clicking on every geocache you wish to visit, and then clicking the "Send to GPS" link for each one. Instead, you can download ALL geocaches for a given area (up to 1000) or a filtered subset. This means:

1. You don't have to pick and choose which geocaches to load before an outing.

2. You can change your plans on the fly because other nearby caches will already be loaded for you.

3. It's real easy to re-run a query and get updated listings from time to time.

Some people pair this with a geocache manager, but PQ's on their own are immensely useful.

PS, the specs for the Oregon 450 should read 5,000 geocaches.

You are right, Oregon 450 has 5000 geocaches. I was quoting the Oregon 400.

But now I see the Oregon 450 holds 2000 GPX files! No way I have that many on my Oregon 450.

PS, I hear you on pocket queries. I load only the caches I plan to get that day. Otherwise I am tempted to do more. I'll have to learn to break that habit.

Well, this is interesting, according to Garmin:

Oregon 200 / 300 / 400 (series)

200 GPX files

1,000 waypoints

2,000 geocaches

50 routes, 250 points per route

200 saved tracks

20 archive tracks (archive tracks can only be accessed via computer)

10,000 points per track

100 custom map tiles

250 BirdsEye Imagery files

Mapping segments vary by model:

Oregon 200, 300: approximately 4,000

Oregon 400c, 400i, 400t: approximately 3,500 (due to internal mapping)

Oregon 450(t) or 550(t)

2,000 GPX files

2,000 waypoints

5,000 geocaches

200 routes, 250 points per route

200 saved tracks

2,000 archive tracks*

10,000 points per track

100 custom map tiles

250 BirdsEye Imagery files

Mapping segments vary by model:

Oregon 450, 550: approximately 4,000

Oregon 450t, 550t: approximately 3,500 (due to internal mapping)

I've referenced this page many times and I was pretty sure the Oregon 450(t) was limited to 200 GPX files. Perhaps this was an oversight, or did Garmin recently change the limit with a firmware upgrade? I know that last November, I ran into the 200 GPX limit when new caches I loaded didn't show up on my device in the field while older ones were still there.

Edited by mineral2

Hi...sorry to jump on the back of this post as I can see it is not too recent but rather than starting a new thread on what obviously seems quite a common problem I thought I would hi-jack this thread!

I have recently purchased an Oregon 600. Much to my annoyance and disappointment on the last 2 occasions I have loaded caches into it, after coming back to the Unit the next day (the batteries had been removed overnight for charging) all the caches seemed to have disappeared (although the waypoints were there). I reloaded them in again (I do this through PQ's) and they now showed. Today after having to AGAIN do this process, I noticed when out in the field that some were missing (I checked the list and they were definitely there on the pq query). Nothing is set in the filters that I can see would preclude these missing caches. I am really beginning to regret spending this serious amount of money on a GPS as it is causing me nothing but stress and ruining our caching days! I would really appreciate any feedback or answers anyone has on this frustrating problem. Thank you.

Make sure you're running the latest firmware. It's a software issue that may have been fixed. In the mean time, store your geocaches on a SD card so that if this happens when you're out in the field, you can always remove and re-insert the card to re-index the geocaches.

Make sure you're running the latest firmware. It's a software issue that may have been fixed. In the mean time, store your geocaches on a SD card so that if this happens when you're out in the field, you can always remove and re-insert the card to re-index the geocaches.

Thanks I will give this a try. The card that I have in is one that came with the unit and it is full of maps. Is it ok to write to this card as I don't want to mess the maps up? ( I have made a back up of my card on my computer though) .

yes, you can share all kinds of data on the card... maps, custom maps, birdseye, pictures, gpx...

Just make sure you put your gpx files in a folder named GPX... \Volumes\"SD Cardname"\Garmin\GPX

Still not working properly!!! Grrr....

I have checked for software updates and I am apparently up to date. I then took out the card, saved all the maps, formatted the card, put the maps back on and put card back in Oregon. Did my pq for a couple of hundred local caches. Loaded them on to Basecamp and used Basecamp to transfer them on to the CARD this time and not the unit. Again, most transferred but when I started to check it looked like only 60 or so are visible on the unit. I have checked all the settings and I cannot see that I have only selected certain caches. Really cannot see what I am doing wrong and its driving me nuts!!! lol

Try this: Don't import your PQ files into basecamp first, but put them directly on the SD card (after unzipping them).

Ok I will give this a try...I did not quite get what you said about the folder though. Do I have to create this??

Tango,

Make sure that you don't have a filter running on the Oregon 600. I recently purchased an Oregon 650 and inadvertently filtered out some caches without realizing it. The filtering is different than on older Oregons and it is easier to turn on with the sensitive touch screen.

Click the Geocaching icon and then in the Geocaching view, select the Filter icon (funnel, top right)

You can either go through each section and make sure you're not hiding anything or click on the Filter icon, lower right and then "Show All". In my case, with the touch screen being so sensitive, I must have accidentally dragged a couple of the sliders from the maximum, effectively filtering out some caches.

The sliders should all show 1.0 on the left and 5.0 on the right.

The Cache Size should have a green check next to all items.

The Status should at least have a green check mark next to Unattempted and Did Not Find

The Type should NOT have a Circle with Red Slash icon next to any item.

I have problems with my Garmin Oregon 450 too. I have read through the manuals but not much help. Why is a unit I paid less than $200 for easier to use than a more expensive unit? I have tried to download pocket queries only to have them not show up. I have down loaded caches individually only to not have them show up, or disappear. What I have read in the replies here are not helpful at all as I don't understand much of what you are saying.

In the last month I have started to get the same problem. It's not the filter, I've checked that because I did have that happen when I didn't turn off the screen before putting the GPS in my pocket!! I've tried to load using base camp and by direct copying to both the card and the unit ( I have an Oregon 650). It worked fine until recently . It's driving me mad. If I check it on base camp it looks fine but once out in the field - in tHis case 3000ft up a mountain - no caches. Thank goodness for my iPhone!!

Any ideas anyone?