Travel Bugs on cars

signseekers

Hi we have been given a travel bug to put on our car. It is a magnetic one which sticks to the outside of the car. How do these work. Do other geocachers just log the number and discover it? Would appreciate any info about these trackables.

Precisely... they log Discoveries. You, on the other hand, could log it into/out of (Visit) caches in your travels.

Typically, they're logged as Discovered. However, the first one I ever encountered had instructions from the owner, on the trackable's page, to "drop" the trackable into the nearest cache. Obviously not physically, the idea was to Retrieve it from whichever cache the last person had logged it into and drop it into another.

Obviously this is just one owner's preference, usually they're just Discovered, or perhaps the owner logs a Visit to caches they've found as a means of documenting mileage. I have a personal Geocoin I use for this purpose, maybe some folks prefer to track the travels of their vehicle this way.

I got one of these a lil while back. Well mine is the sticker version, but on mine I thought the finder could log it into the nearest cache to where it was spotted and said this on its page. After learning that, that was wrong, I corrected the TB page. It dont get alot of discoveries, but I have there for those who happen to pay attention in traffic or when I get to make it to an event. I have started to use it to keep track of the caches I have found that I used that vehicle to travel to, and I have a personal coin that goes to every cache with me. One of my jobs allows me to travel so when I am out, I try to find a cache when I am in a new area for the first time. I may just move the vehicle to my collection, delete all the cache logs and leave it as discovery only and use only the coin.

But to answer your question, yes, other people can take down the TB Code and log it as discovered, and for the fun of it, they could also grab it from you then go put it in a cache somewhere, so you have to watch out for jokesters. Being that yours is magnetic, this could physicly happen too. If you move it to you collection, then others can only discover it and can not grab it. In your invontory, you can have it visit caches, place it in a cache, all the regular options you have with any trackable item. The difference comes when you move from invontory to collection.

Aside from the logging aspect, be careful of the magnet. Try to only have it out when you want to show it. Never in rain, at highway speeds, or lots of vibrations (like dirt roads). Have lost a fair share of magnetic signs over the years (to the point I don't use them at all) but being a gift, just try to keep it as long as possible by being careful.

And be sure to take if off before you go through a car wash!! Was with someone whose magnetic signs lasted through all the above mentioned hazards only to come off in the car wash.

I use mine when I take that car to a cache. I don't always take THAT car, so it's kind of a fun add..

Some people crab about that kind of logging saying "how did you actually dip your car in a cache".. to those people.. I would drive by them in a rainstorm covering them with mud...

Others who find my car in the wild are more than happy to log a discovered log.

Shaun

I use mine when I take that car to a cache. I don't always take THAT car, so it's kind of a fun add..

Some people crab about that kind of logging saying "how did you actually dip your car in a cache".. to those people.. I would drive by them in a rainstorm covering them with mud...

Others who find my car in the wild are more than happy to log a discovered log.

Shaun

If you own one of those "Smart cars" they will fit into most caches, so that is an easy answer... for all others, just find regular size or larger caches and you can answer it the same... though this does give me an idea for an extremely large cache... Need to get working on the permits and a suitable location for a drive in/through cache you can do without leaving your vehicle.