EarthCache Statistics

Danie Viljoen

Well, vacation period .. these figures mirror my own experience. I find EC in January or November only occassionally. But when it comes to July, August, September, I go out hiking around Europe for 2-3 weeks and come home with good backlog of EC to respond [:)]

No surprise. Many tourists are visiting a lot of natural landmarks especially during 'season' - whether it means May-Oct or only July-August.

bearing in mind it is only vacation time in the northern hemisphere - down south we have our vacation during your winter, but then i guess there are more earthcaches in the top half of the world also.

Longest unfound EarthCaches:

1.  GCQMXW   Iskut River Hot Springs Earthcache	               Canada	      British Columbia	         3093 days (8.47 years)	Never found
2.  GC11FPA  Huangxian Cave - Hubei Province (Earthcache)      China		                         2552 days (6.99 years)	Never found
3.  GC160WK  Lochaber Valley Ribbon Lakes	               Canada	      Nova Scotia	         2081 days (5.70 years)	
4.  GC1WHYA  Wonderstrand	                               Canada	      Newfoundland and Labrador	 2050 days (5.61 years)	
5.  GC1H9X3  Hotsarihie (Helen Reef)	                       Palau		                         1971 days (5.40 years)	Never found
6.  GC1EXH7  Flint River Watershed	                       United States  Alabama	                 1815 days (4.97 years)	
7.  GC1AB6P  San Francisquito Formation (Big Rock Creek Area)  United States  California	         1753 days (4.80 years)	
8.  GC1W0GR  Nipekamew Sand Cliffs	                       Canada	      Saskatchewan	         1678 days (4.59 years)	
9.  GC1WYN4  Glacial Erratic	                               Canada	      Ontario	                 1677 days (4.59 years)	Never found
10. GC1WYWJ  Fossil out of Place in Cataract Canyon	       United States  Utah	                 1677 days (4.59 years)	Never found

Ii must be so disappointing for the CO's of these never found caches. I wonder if one gets used to it after all these years?

And here I was, feeling bad that it took someone almost two months to get two of our newer earthcaches. I feel better now!

Ii must be so disappointing for the CO's of these never found caches. I wonder if one gets used to it after all these years?

i have a bunch of ECs - some get found almost daily - and I have one that has only had 2 finds in 4 odd years - and another with 1 find in 18 months - so I guess it depends on "foot" traffic near the cache. Both are a little off the beaten path.

Hopefully these cachers still are active - and have other caches that they can monitor.

Number of EarthCaches published per year:ECsperyear.jpgI find it interesting that the number of new ECs have been steadily decreasing since 2010. Why would that be? It is definitely not following the trend of the other cache types. Are we reaching saturation in Europe and the U.S.A., or is it more difficult to get a new EC published now?

I wonder if the decline has anything to do with the perception of the guidelines being restrictive - as discussed a lot on these forums?

I know some Earthcache owners were upset when new guidelines were imposed on there previously published ECs. I don't remember if that happened in 2010. I thinking it was before that.

What got be looking at this stat, was that i was curious on the number of ECs published per day. Okay that's a bit to detailed so then I thought by month. Now that I see this by year chart, this will satisfy was I was interested in.

Is there a statistic for Earthcache finders? I'd be curious to know the top finders in the state of Indiana.

Yep. Project-gc.com is one-stop shop for such stats. You are doing quite well:

http://project-gc.com/TopFinders/top/?profile_name=Chutch1035&profile_country=United+States&profile_region=Indiana&type%5B%5D=Earthcache&submit=Filter&chartpage=1

But those are people from Indiana who have found the most Earthcaches, not the people who have found the most Earthcaches in Indiana...

Is there a statistic for Earthcache finders? I'd be curious to know the top finders in the state of Indiana.

Yep. Project-gc.com is one-stop shop for such stats. You are doing quite well:

http://project-gc.com/TopFinders/top/?profile_name=Chutch1035&profile_country=United+States&profile_region=Indiana&type%5B%5D=Earthcache&submit=Filter&chartpage=1

But those are people from Indiana who have found the most Earthcaches, not the people who have found the most Earthcaches in Indiana...

http://project-gc.com/TopFinders/top/?country=United+States&region=Indiana&type%5B%5D=Earthcache&submit=Filter