Magnetic Nano's / Magnet Caches

Kmroberts3

Hello everyone :D

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere (I'm fairly new to the forums). Just wondering do people make their own nano geocaches, and if so, how? As eBay can be quite expensive when planning a 10 cache series around a local tourist attraction :D Also, where do people in the UK buy disc magnets? I've tried B & Q, HomeBase, Asda, Tesco...none sell them :(

Thanks for any help :D

Hello everyone :D

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere (I'm fairly new to the forums). Just wondering do people make their own nano geocaches, and if so, how? As eBay can be quite expensive when planning a 10 cache series around a local tourist attraction :D Also, where do people in the UK buy disc magnets? I've tried B & Q, HomeBase, Asda, Tesco...none sell them :(

Thanks for any help :D

Hi there,

I'm not sure if we are allowed to actually give names of companies here, but generally when I need something like that, I get it from amazon. As for home-made nanos - if you mean those magnetic (most often black) cylinders, then I don't see how you could make them at home. In broader terms I have seen some home-made nanos though. Eppendorf test tubes seem to be quite popular too if you can get your hands on some.

Hope this helps.

My husband buys small magnets similar to ones in this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magnets-inch-Disc-N48/dp/B001KUWM3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390426957&sr=8-1&keywords=manets

Anything you can drill a 1/16th inch flat hole into, glue the magnet inside the hole where the magnet is flush with the surface you are working with... Whaaalaaa. You have a magnetic thing-ga-ma-bob.

We've used these magnets in various containers...from actually attachment purposes at GZ, to holding lids/covers shut, holding bison tubes in place, etc. You name it....

Edited by Lieblweb

People probably make their own nano caches if a particular custom camo is required, but I don't imaging anyone makes their own "standard" nanos.

If you're looking for 10 magnetic nanos then you can get them for £16 from Geotees, here http://www.geotees.co.uk/geocaching-containers/magnetic-nano-geocache-container-black.html which doesn't seem exhorbitant to me.

As for magnets I think most people get them from Ebay, search for "neodynium magnet" and you can pick up 10 for about a fiver.

Considering the nanos above will cost £1,60 each, and if you were gonna make them yourself then the magnet alone would cost 50p, is it worth the hassle of trying to make your own?

Of course there are other types of cache container, such as the tiny plastic tubes, which can be got from many of the online suppliers, see the list of geocaching suppliers here:

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/retail.html

As mentioned above, but there are at least three UK geocaching online shops that sell suitable items.

Although geocaching is not supposed to be an expensive hobby you have to accept that setting caches involves a certain amount of expenditure of time or money. £2 per cache, or 2 hours per container, would seem to me to be a reasonable guide to put together something watertight, well-camouflaged and robust with a decent log sheet inside.

I'd advise against placing a nanocache unless the location absolutely requires one. In my experience they don't tend to be regarded with great affection, and some people avoid them as much as possible. You certainly don't want to have a whole series of them!

As mentioned above, but there are at least three UK geocaching online shops that sell suitable items.

Although geocaching is not supposed to be an expensive hobby you have to accept that setting caches involves a certain amount of expenditure of time or money. £2 per cache, or 2 hours per container, would seem to me to be a reasonable guide to put together something watertight, well-camouflaged and robust with a decent log sheet inside.

I'd advise against placing a nanocache unless the location absolutely requires one. In my experience they don't tend to be regarded with great affection, and some people avoid them as much as possible. You certainly don't want to have a whole series of them!

and also tend to require more maintenance visits due to smaller log books and a tendancy to go missing due to their small size.