Deleting a spoiler log

J Grouchy

I've had a similar case. I own a puzzle cache that involves figuring out which language the coded message is in. One of the first finders said the language in their log. I emailed them and asked if they could take that part out, which they did. They seemed a little smug about it, but I wasn't going to let it get to me. I think you handled the situation as I would have.

The ideal would be to allow a CO to edit a log so that it doesn't have such information. This would be far better than the "nuclear" option of deleting the entire log. I doubt Groundspeak would ever allow this however.

Nope.

Allowing Cos to edit logs would create more problems than the issue of a few spoilers.

Some are already deleting DNF, NM and NAs from pages. Don't know what that thinking is...

If I write something that's in error in my log, I'll edit it myself or the CO can delete - and I'll just give 'em a tftc.

Here is what I did when a searcher ignored my plea to edit a spoiler out of his "found it" log. Instead of of deleting his log, I changed my hint in the description to read as follows: "My hint has been removed. Why? Apparently, a recent finder seems to think that my hint wasn't good enough, so he or she put his or her own in his or her log. I even encrypted it for him or her so it looks just like a normal hint. Now that's really accommodating of me, isn't it? I like to keep people happy. [;)]" I noticed that one person is watching this cache and it's probably him or her, but an email is only triggered when there is a new log. It's not triggered when one changes anything in the description.

Had to delete my first "found it" log yesterday...and it angers me because I gave the guy a choice.

I have a D3 hide in a local park and it was intended to be a tricky hide with no hints given. It's had only one find in two + months...until yesterday. Some guy logs it found...then proceeds to describe the hiding spot in his log!

I got the notification and immediately contacted him, asking him to edit the spoiler out or I'd have to delete his log.

His response:

My apologies.

I believe that the lack of location description in the cache is a bit anti-geocaching.

If you disagree, you may delete my comment.

Excuse me...HUH???

To me, it's EXACTLY what geocaching is about...the challenge of the find! He essentially told me he wouldn't edit it and I was forced to delete it.

Was I too quick to do that?

I responded to his email:

When you talk to anyone and ask them whether it's okay to describe in detail the cache hiding spot on their difficulty 3 cache, you let me know. In my mind, it's "anti-geocaching" to give away the hiding spot on a cache...ESPECIALLY a Difficulty 3 cache. It was intentional on my part for the hunt to be difficult and tricky and I do not appreciate anyone posting photos of the cache hide or describing the hiding spot. For a higher difficulty rating, it's considered poor form to give it away.

Like I said, though...you found it, so you have every right to log it as found. Just don't write a spoiler about it in the log. I would have rather not deleted it, but your email basically came off sounding like you were giving me no other choice.

Thanks for finding my cache and signing the log. Hope you had fun searching for it...I just want to make sure others have as much fun in the search now.

How would you have handled it? Would you have let the spoiler slide? Would you have continued the debate, giving the person every opportunity to edit the spoiler out before deleting it?

I would have deleted his log, and not bothered with responding to his note.

I think you did the right thing. He was polite and did the right thing. He was new or inexperienced so he has now learnt something about how the game is played. You gained him some experience points.

There are quite a few people that put hints in their logs. Had to ROOT around for this one. Once at the correct elevation I found the cache. I spent so long I knelt down to prey to God for Devine intervention he showed me the way. I felt rather than saw the cache. Wood'nt you believe it didn't think to look there. After a long search I was please to ...log ... this cache.

We have also had sneaky emails "found the cache on the floor out in the open. Obviously glad to find this sneaky hide but where would you like it put back". The intention being you email the correct location to help you.

Exaggerating that a GZ is literally ripped to shreds ... which perpetuates claims from other searchers. 1. Doesn't stop them keeping on looking and logging a find 2. You are supposed to tell them where it is to save the grass plus how the hell would they know they've never been there before.

I don't get why people do it. On the one hand I think you sad person craving some recognition for how clever you are. Behaving like a spoilt child when you can't find it and behaving like a know it all when you have. On the other you choose what goes on on your cache page.

Also watch out for subtle spoiler photos ... A photo of the GZ with a stick pointing to it in the photo. Or their dog sat near it is another trick. Lol it's almost like a side game to some.

The problem here is that you allowed a spoiler being posted on a hide to raise your blood pressure.

Yup. It's a game. While I might have done what the OP did, I would not get upset about it. All kinds of people do hides, all kinds of people go find them, with all kinds of reasons. But in the end, it's a game.

Austin

It is common sense and common courtesy that no log should include spoilers.

It is common sense and common courtesy that every cache should be re-hidden carefully, neatly, and exactly as found.

It is common sense and common courtesy that trades should be even or better.

It is common sense and common courtesy that people should post a log after they attempt a cache.

Sadly, common sense and common courtesy is not common in Geocaching.

Too many people play by their own rules with no regard for anyone else, and they are proud of it.

I'm not sure I know of any other community quite like this.

Can you think of any other sport, hobby or game where people just do what they please, everyone else be damned?

Too many people play by their own rules with no regard for anyone else, and they are proud of it.

Can you think of any other sport, hobby or game where people just do what they please, everyone else be damned?

Well my view is the opposite. I find in general geocachers to be very courteous and think about others and the game. The whole game is founded on trust, where cachers both hide caches for others, and find them. I see cachers helping other cachers, especially those new to the game. I've had cachers in other countries who I had never met before arrange to meet me and help me around in a new place. I can't think of any other similar activity where there is such a strong regard for others.

Sure, there will be exceptions. From the newbie who doesn't realise what they are saying is a spoiler, to the person who "plays by their own rules with no regard for anyone else, and they are proud of it". Some people are inconsiderate, selfish, unkind, etc. And some of them will be geocachers. But my experience is that geocachers as a group are the exact opposite of the quote above.

Basketball and football most notably, baseball and cycling to a degree, motor racing not-so-much....

But those folks are generally well-paid, so they can do whatever they want.

:)

Not true at all. There are rules and their are officials who make sure the participants play by the rules and there are penalties for breaking the rules. No one can arbitrarily play by their own set of rules. You can't strike out and demand the scorekeeper hide the results. Except for little kids in training, you can't lower the basketball hoop to make shooting easier for you. You can't take a base or a ball off the field and leave a worthless trinket in its place. In fact, if you don't play by the rules, you will be forced out of the game. I could go on and on.

Well my view is the opposite. I find in general geocachers to be very courteous and think about others and the game. The whole game is founded on trust, where cachers both hide caches for others, and find them. I see cachers helping other cachers, especially those new to the game. I've had cachers in other countries who I had never met before arrange to meet me and help me around in a new place. I can't think of any other similar activity where there is such a strong regard for others.

Sure, there will be exceptions. From the newbie who doesn't realise what they are saying is a spoiler, to the person who "plays by their own rules with no regard for anyone else, and they are proud of it". Some people are inconsiderate, selfish, unkind, etc. And some of them will be geocachers. But my experience is that geocachers as a group are the exact opposite of the quote above.

Perhaps it's different in the UK.

I have hidden 75 caches, over 200 stages, many with nice stash. In short order, they all were plundered, often left a mess and full of water, almost never re-hidden as they were placed, and there have been many who visited my tougher hides with no success, but did not post a DNF log. But posting of spoilers is more rare than common though. Yes, there are nice people, too, but many of these nice people plunder and carelessly re-hide.

Here is what I did recently when a person logged a spoiler. Here are the exact words I put in my hint: " I removed my original hint. Why? Apparently, a recent finder seems to think that my hint wasn't good enough, so he or she put his own in his log below . An edit request was sent. He ignored it. Instead of deleting his log (a drastic measure, which many CO's would take,) I decided to leave it in. I even encrypted his spoiler log so it looks acts like a normal hint in the description. Now that's really accommodating of me, isn't it? I like to keep people happy. "

Maybe somebody will point it out to him some day. I don't really care, because MY hint was stronger than his anyway. Anyway, the problem on this particular cache of mine I consider solved.

Here is what I did recently when a person logged a spoiler. Here are the exact words I put in my hint: " I removed my original hint. Why? Apparently, a recent finder seems to think that my hint wasn't good enough, so he or she put his own in his log below . An edit request was sent. He ignored it. Instead of deleting his log (a drastic measure, which many CO's would take,) I decided to leave it in. I even encrypted his spoiler log so it looks acts like a normal hint in the description. Now that's really accommodating of me, isn't it? I like to keep people happy. "

Maybe somebody will point it out to him some day. I don't really care, because MY hint was stronger than his anyway. Anyway, the problem on this particular cache of mine I consider solved.

I was gonna ask about the TOU, but see you don't have any finds or hides on this account. :huh:

We have a cache hidden at a popular tourist spot. We had to hide it in such a way that muggles wouldn't notice it but seasoned cachers would figure it out. We had a recent find where the cacher posted a spoiler photo of the cache. Because the email notification does not indicate that a photo was included with the log, I was unaware of it.

When I did notice it, I was unsure what to do. Should I delete the log or request that photo be removed? I may do nothing. During tourist season, the staff at the location often help the cachers with the find.

BTW There is a log sheet in a baggie in the cache. I have to replace it often as there are more than 500 finds.

fbc81c5f-fb2a-494c-861f-8d466e8c0168.jpg

Edited by Ma & Pa

We have a cache hidden at a popular tourist spot. We had to hide it in such a way that muggles wouldn't notice it but seasoned cachers would figure it out. We had a recent find where the cacher posted a spoiler photo of the cache. Because the email notification does not indicate that a photo was included with the log, I was unaware of it.

When I did notice it, I was unsure what to do. Should I delete the log or request that photo be removed? I may do nothing. During tourist season, the staff at the location often help the cachers with the find.

BTW There is a log sheet in a baggie in the cache. I have to replace it often as there are more than 500 finds.

If the intent of the hide method is meant only to keep muggle a from discovering it and not really intended to make it challenging, I wouldn't take any action on it.

P.S. Is that the world's largest lobster in the background?

I was gonna ask about the TOU, but see you don't have any finds or hides on this account. :huh:

well, he edited out the spoiler. The only way he could have known about this posting of mine is that someone on here read it. Then they copy and pasted the the hint on google and it brought up my cache. Then they emailed the guy or gal. This scenario must be so because there has been no entries in the audit log since I posted this until his today and it wasn't him.. So it worked perfectly. This is the way I'll handle all spoilers in the future because it worked so well.

If the intent of the hide method is meant only to keep muggle a from discovering it and not really intended to make it challenging, I wouldn't take any action on it.

P.S. Is that the world's largest lobster in the background?

Yep it is the largest Lobster in the World. There are lots of photos in the gallery of the cache. Most do not have snow

http://coord.info/GC17V2B

I think I would have permanently encrypted the log, Either way you are backed by policy. The cacher can always re-log his find without the spoiler.

Encrypting it is a useless option since anyone can decrypt with the press of a button and I'm sure many do. Heck, I often decrypt an encrypted log out of simple curiosity.

I think I would have permanently encrypted the log, Either way you are backed by policy. The cacher can always re-log his find without the spoiler.
Encrypting it is a useless option since anyone can decrypt with the press of a button and I'm sure many do. Heck, I often decrypt an encrypted log out of simple curiosity.
I suppose that depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to prevent people from seeing the spoiler log, then yes, encrypting it with rot13 is useless. But that's never been the point of using rot13. The point of rot13 is to hide the spoiler log (or owner-provided hint or off-color joke or whatever) unless someone chooses to read it.

Just happened upon this cache page and the opening description that illustrates my point that common courtesy and not very common at all. Sadly, this is not an isolated example.

"As the name suggests, this hunt was created to be kid friendly, with a relatively short round trip hike of about 3/4 of a mile and a very large final cache well stocked with some pretty good stash. Unfortunately, the large container was often not rehidden well by finders and given its kid-friendly, close proximity to the trail, it was eventually muggled. A more modest sized, replacement container suffered a similar fate. As result, I put something smaller in its place, but with no stash."

Deleting a log is simple enough when a cacher lacks courtesy by posting a spoiler, but what about the more regular problem of cachers getting their smiley and ruining the cache for those who follow?

It is common sense and common courtesy that no log should include spoilers.

It is common sense and common courtesy that every cache should be re-hidden carefully, neatly, and exactly as found.

It is common sense and common courtesy that trades should be even or better.

It is common sense and common courtesy that people should post a log after they attempt a cache.

Fishing.

So it's a few inches too small.

Who's going to know if I didn't put the fish back.

How can you catch a fish on a barbless hook.

Sir, I didn't know the hatchery was right there.

Limit says 5 per person, what do you mean my baby doesn't count.

Pa - I think you can delete only the photo on a log. Try it and see if you can. :)

EDIT: Yes, you can. Go to the log, and click on Edit Image (above the photo). From there you can delete the image.

Thanks

And as I mentioned in a different thread, it will give you a box to enter why you are deleting it.

And I am still wondering why do this to just the image and not the log too. It would be a step saver to give your reason when you delete the log. Instead of also having to contact the cacher separately.

Had to delete my first "found it" log yesterday...and it angers me because I gave the guy a choice.

I have a D3 hide in a local park and it was intended to be a tricky hide with no hints given. It's had only one find in two + months...until yesterday. Some guy logs it found...then proceeds to describe the hiding spot in his log!

I got the notification and immediately contacted him, asking him to edit the spoiler out or I'd have to delete his log.

His response:

My apologies.

I believe that the lack of location description in the cache is a bit anti-geocaching.

If you disagree, you may delete my comment.

Excuse me...HUH???

To me, it's EXACTLY what geocaching is about...the challenge of the find! He essentially told me he wouldn't edit it and I was forced to delete it.

Was I too quick to do that?

I responded to his email:

When you talk to anyone and ask them whether it's okay to describe in detail the cache hiding spot on their difficulty 3 cache, you let me know. In my mind, it's "anti-geocaching" to give away the hiding spot on a cache...ESPECIALLY a Difficulty 3 cache. It was intentional on my part for the hunt to be difficult and tricky and I do not appreciate anyone posting photos of the cache hide or describing the hiding spot. For a higher difficulty rating, it's considered poor form to give it away.

Like I said, though...you found it, so you have every right to log it as found. Just don't write a spoiler about it in the log. I would have rather not deleted it, but your email basically came off sounding like you were giving me no other choice.

Thanks for finding my cache and signing the log. Hope you had fun searching for it...I just want to make sure others have as much fun in the search now.

How would you have handled it? Would you have let the spoiler slide? Would you have continued the debate, giving the person every opportunity to edit the spoiler out before deleting it?

I would have deleted his log, and not bothered with responding to his note.

Pa - I think you can delete only the photo on a log. Try it and see if you can. :)

EDIT: Yes, you can. Go to the log, and click on Edit Image (above the photo). From there you can delete the image.

Thanks

And as I mentioned in a different thread, it will give you a box to enter why you are deleting it.

And I am still wondering why do this to just the image and not the log too. It would be a step saver to give your reason when you delete the log. Instead of also having to contact the cacher separately.

I totaly agree with this! A box should appear to let you tell the 'finder' why you are deleting the log. Not only does this save the CO time, but it will likely save a lot of angst. Same thing with TB logs.

Deleting logs runs the risk of the person taking revenge by theft or vandalism. I just took care of a spoiler this way when my email to have him remove it was ignored: > I deleted my hint and changed it in the cache description and put this hint in its place:

>

> "My hint has been removed by me. Why? Apparently, a recent finder seems to think that my hint wasn't good enough, so he put in his own in his found it log below. I even encrypted it for him so it looks just like a normal hint. Now that's really accommodating of me, isn't it? I like to keep people happy. [Wink]"

>

> What makes it cool is that if Mr. Stubborn has it on his watch list to see if I delete his log, that won't happen because this trick is in the hint in the description and won't trigger an email to him. He probably will never know that he is being embarrassed. Btw, somehow he found out and edited his log and took out the spoiler. Problem solved.

>

Deleting logs runs the risk of the person taking revenge by theft or vandalism.

Honestly, I don't believe the vast majority of cachers would stoop to such a thing....like maybe only a small fraction of a percentage point would. Not only is it petty, but it's more effort than most folks would bother with.

It's not harassment. Tampering with someone's cache's premium audit log and secretly suspending it for two or three days certainly is though. A little detection work on my part showed that some check-in entries that should be there are missing. Maybe this forum log will suddenly disappear too just like the audit log entries did. Well see.

Edited by pascopete

It's not harassment. Tampering with someone's cache's premium audit log and secretly suspending it for two or three days certainly is though. A little detection work on my part showed that some check-in entries that should be there are missing. Maybe this forum log will suddenly disappear too just like the audit log entries did. Well see.

You do realize that pqs, bookmarks and often just using a phone bypasses audits, right?

Audits only work for folks who don't know how to avoid 'em.

If any forum logs turn up missing, it'd probably be the ones you posted earlier on a sock account. :)

Several years ago I logged a cache belonging to a paranoid owner I had never met that I had bent over, or looked down, or kneeled down or something (I dunno, the log has vanished). He asked me to edit that part out. I changed the log to "." Nothing left for him to worry about or edit! No wonder there are so many "TFTC"s when owners want to censor every find.

The ideal would be to allow a CO to edit a log so that it doesn't have such information. This would be far better than the "nuclear" option of deleting the entire log. I doubt Groundspeak would ever allow this however.

Nope.

Allowing Cos to edit logs would create more problems than the issue of a few spoilers.

Some are already deleting DNF, NM and NAs from pages. Don't know what that thinking is...

If I write something that's in error in my log, I'll edit it myself or the CO can delete - and I'll just give 'em a tftc.

Yep, I typically write a bit about the hunt in my logs, but there are times like these that I simply leave "TFTC." Especially if a CO is difficult or absent. Why bother writing about the experience if they don't care to read it?

Several years ago I logged a cache belonging to a paranoid owner I had never met that I had bent over, or looked down, or kneeled down or something (I dunno, the log has vanished). He asked me to edit that part out. I changed the log to "." Nothing left for him to worry about or edit! No wonder there are so many "TFTC"s when owners want to censor every find.

There is a pretty wide gap between one and every.

Why bother writing about the experience if they don't care to read it?

I write logs for myself--so that years later I can read them and remember something about the experience, whether it was the cache itself or the weather or the company I was with or whatever I want to remember. I don't really care if the CO reads it or not.

I don't enjoy D3 caches with no description/hints, but since you properly rated the cache I can avoid it. Sounds like the finder should adopt the same practice.

This, it sounds like a cache I wouldn't bother with. Sometimes the reward for the trouble simply isnt worth it and to be honest I can empathise with the logger. If there's no hints I try to find one in the comments. If you wanted a persons actual and true opinion that is mine for better or worse that's the way I'd feel.

Why bother writing about the experience if they don't care to read it?

I write logs for myself--so that years later I can read them and remember something about the experience, whether it was the cache itself or the weather or the company I was with or whatever I want to remember. I don't really care if the CO reads it or not.

I've seen that before and I don't really get it. On the Geocaching 101 page, it describes 8 steps for "How is the game played". The last one is "Share your geocaching stories and photos online." I always assume that the log was for *sharing* the experience of finding the cache for that benefit of the CO and other geocachers, not as a personal diary.

I guess that must happen, though it hasn't happened to me yet.

Many logs give hints - even if unintended. If I write "I was glad I had Tom with me as I'm too short", that gives a hint. But I'm not writing that specifically to give a hint... that was a significant part of the experience for me, and it might be useful to other people who aren't especially tall. But it does give an additional hint. As do "according to my GPS the coords are out by 50 meters", or "I spent a log time looking in one place which looked most likely, then eventually found it elsewhere".

I'll try to avoid being specific as far as possible. So I'll say "I spent a log time looking in one place which looked most likely, but found it elsewhere" rather than "I spent a long time looking in the old oak tree but found it elsewhere". If the oak tree really is the only obvious place the statements are the same, but I've tried to be vague.

If a CO ever complains I've given too much away, I'll change my log.

I've seen that before and I don't really get it. On the Geocaching 101 page, it describes 8 steps for "How is the game played". The last one is "Share your geocaching stories and photos online." I always assume that the log was for *sharing* the experience of finding the cache for that benefit of the CO and other geocachers, not as a personal diary.

Well, it can be both.

I write logs mainly to share with others, but I also like to look back at my logs.

If you ask me "why bother if nobody reads them", I would answer "well, I read them, so I'll continue anyway". I would also say I hope some people will actually read them.