Magellan GC transfer to GPS

Let's jump straight to the advanced troubleshooting, shall we? I've followed too many threads and read far too many sarcastic responses. If you do not have help to offer, keep your comments to yourself.

I own a Magellan GC.

- the firmware is updated to 2.15

- I have attempted to transfer caches from a Windows XP machine

- I have attempted to transfer caches from a Windows 8 machine

- I have attempted to transfer caches from a Mac OS machine running Lion

- I have attempted to transfer caches from a Mac OS machine running Mountain Lion

- I have run the Magellan Connect install wizard on all aforementioned machines

- I have installed the plugin on all aforementioned machines

- I am unable to register for a premium membership, the reasons for which are irrelevant, nor will I accept that this is the only method to download cache information

- the GPS unit, computers and browsers have been restarted countless times

- I have attempted downloading at a variety of stages during the connection process

Please, if you have any advice on how to solve this problem, let me know.

If you have nothing but sarcasm, derision or snark, put it in a cache and drop it in the nearest lake. I promise I'll find it.

Can you give a better description of how you are attempting to transfer caches? There are a number of different ways to transfer caches.

The method I prefer is by direct download. Assuming that you know how to successfully download files to your PC from the internet and find where they are stored on your PC. The keys to making this successful is to ensure that GPSr is properly connected to the PC and showing up as an external storage device. Then making sure that you are putting the .loc or .gpx (premium member) files in to the proper directory, the one called geocaches on the GPSr. Lastly make sure that you aren't overloading the GPSr with caches. There is a 10,000 cache limit when using .gpx files and IIRC this limit much smaller when using .loc files.

Also, there is a limit of 1,000 files (GPX or LOC) in the GC. If you load single cache files and do not clear them out periodically, it's not inconceivable that you could exceed that limit.

Can you give a better description of how you are attempting to transfer caches? There are a number of different ways to transfer caches.

The method I prefer is by direct download. Assuming that you know how to successfully download files to your PC from the internet and find where they are stored on your PC. The keys to making this successful is to ensure that GPSr is properly connected to the PC and showing up as an external storage device. Then making sure that you are putting the .loc or .gpx (premium member) files in to the proper directory, the one called geocaches on the GPSr. Lastly make sure that you aren't overloading the GPSr with caches. There is a 10,000 cache limit when using .gpx files and IIRC this limit much smaller when using .loc files.

Thanks for the reply Glen. I've transferred two .loc files to the geocache folder. After ejecting the drive I restarted the GPSr. I'm assuming I should see the caches listed under the geocache menu, but I do not.

Matthew

I have bad news and good news.

First the bad news. I download a .loc file and placed it in my Geocaches directory and had no joy. I then placed the same .loc file in almost all of the directories on my eXp GC and still no joy. It seems that the eXp GC (ver 2.15) can't read .loc files. WTF?

Now for the good news. There is way. You can use program, like GPSbabel, to convert the .loc files to .gpx files. Then put the .gpx files it creates in to the Geocaches directory on your GPSr.