Fort Wayne, IN Cache Suggestions

blahginger

I plan on being in Forte Wayne sometime at the end of this month. I will not have a lot of time for caching but would like to visit a couple while I am out there. Does anyone have any suggestions for caches in the area that are defintely worth a visit?

Thank you

To be worn out is to be renewed.

- Lao-tzu

What do you like in a cache?

If you like easy-to-find, The Old Fort seems to be leading the pack among out-of-towners, and A King's Ransom is close by and also an easy find (but beware of onlookers.) Earthling Vector Luna has also been popular with folks from out of town, as it's easy to get to and find, but it seems to have gone missing of late. A recent addition that's also easy to get to and reasonably easy to find is Mastodon Trek which can be done as a standalone even though it's identified as 1/4 in a series.

If you're looking for natural spaces, get Sarsaparilla or Earthling Vector Terra, or both (but be warned, both locations charge $2/person for access.)

If you're looking to stretch your legs on a paved trail with an easy-to-medium find at the end, go for N.E.R.D. (.3 mi from the nearest parking; note that the coords are not the cache itself) or Earthling Vector Sol (about .4 mi from suggested parking.)

I could also mention some interesting multicaches, but if you won't have much time they're probably not too useful to you.

warm.gif

I'd recommend Sarsaparilla. We haven't hit all the Ft. Wayne caches (especially the new ones) but did enjoy the hike on this one. It's a bit of walk, a 1/4 - 1/2 mile maybe, but a nice area and not too difficult.

The Old Fort is a great place to visit. Haven't been to this cache but have heard that it's pretty easy.

Also, Fox Island Park is a nice location. Again, haven't been to the cache (Earthling Vector Terra) but the park itself is pretty nice. Last I heard, the park was closed due to West Nile Virus concerns but maybe that has changed. Personally I think closing a park over this is overkill (no pun intended) but something to consider I guess. The quaking bog is pretty neat to visit.

As previously mentioned, there are some interesting multi-caches but I do understand the time concerns. Hope you enjoy your visit!

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by GeoStars:

Last I heard, the park was closed due to West Nile Virus concerns but maybe that has changed.

For updates on the closure status, if any, of Allen County Parks -- Fox Island (Earthling Vector Terra), Matea (Sarsaparilla), and the other parks with no caches yet -- you can probably call or email the Allen County Parks Department using the contact info on their web page.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

For updates on the closure status, if any, of Allen County Parks -- Fox Island (Earthling Vector Terra), Matea (Sarsaparilla), and the other parks with no caches yet -- you can probably call or email the Allen County Parks Department using the contact info on their web page.

Good advice. I'd suggest calling rather than e-mailing. I e-mailed them awhile back regarding the status of Fox Island and never heard back. I only sent one info request and maybe it was an oversight but that's been my experience. Nice park if it's open.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Thank you for the suggestions. I will be out there next weekend (9/28). Time constraints may not necessarily be an issue. If I have to sneak away from the family gathering then it will have to be a quick one, but I am hoping to rally some people and try and make it an event for everyone.

Looking forward to checking out the area. BTW I should have mentioned that I am coming in from Chicago so if there are any caches of note on the drive in please mention those as well.

Thanks again

To be worn out is to be renewed.

- Lao-tzu