Monterra Distance to Destination/Geocaching Map

Hi everyone. I am wondering if anyone else is having issues with the Garmin App map on the Monterra. Whenever I try to navigate to a waypoint, POI, geocache, coordinates, etc. it always shows "--" in the Dist. To Dest. Data field. It also shows the same thing in the compass screen when I am actively navigating. I've played with every setting to no avail. I use mine for geocaching and this is shocking to not have the ability to have it show my distance.

On a related note, when using the map under a geocache listing in the geocaching menu, the distance displayed next to the compass does not update. It gives you the current distance of when you opened the cache listing. You have to back out and reload the cache again to get an updated distance. Anyone else having this problem too?

I am wondering if you can make the unit behave like an Oregon (i.e. the line on the map is direct to the destination)when I look for a cache or waypoint the Monterra sends me on a route like a car gps so I might be 80ft from the destination but the device says something like half a mile because it wants to go to a road. This makes it like a glorified car gps rather than what I want to use it for. Am I missing a setting?

I am wondering if you can make the unit behave like an Oregon (i.e. the line on the map is direct to the destination)when I look for a cache or waypoint the Monterra sends me on a route like a car gps so I might be 80ft from the destination but the device says something like half a mile because it wants to go to a road. This makes it like a glorified car gps rather than what I want to use it for. Am I missing a setting?

Exactly what I was thinking! Although I have never owned an Oregon, yoy would think that the Monterra would behave like a traditional GPSr in at least some semblance to the Oregon. The proprietary Android App provided by Garmin obviously has some major issues as well.

You need to look at your routing setting. If you have it set to Automotive mode it will - as intended - route you on roads. You can do this on just about any recent Garmin handheld. But no Jill. :-)

To have a straight beeline to your target that ignores roads, set your routing preferences to - big surprise - Off Road. :-)

Hey Guys, I recently got a monterra too... and instantly saw this issue with no distance to destination GRRR!!

I have emailed garmin about it... has anyone else and have you had a response??.. also using it to do multis suck .. where to and the coordinates dont have distance to destination either

Big over look garmin!!

Edited by Darknstormy

Hey Guys, I recently got a monterra too... and instantly saw this issue with no distance to destination GRRR!!

I have emailed garmin about it... has anyone else and have you had a response??.. also using it to do multis suck .. where to and the coordinates dont have distance to destination either

Big over look garmin!!

I did some further testing of the issue. If you install routable street maps (city navigator, etc.) It will give you a distance to ETA if you set the routing for Auto mode. You can then switch to Direct routing and it will work. But it will not work by calculating in Direct Routing mode first. Really inconvenient for sure. I believe I saw a post on a review site with this issue identified and Garmin was made aware. Hopefullythey fix it with the next update release.

The "--" in the dist to dest is a known issue, and it is listed as Bug #37 on the Monterra Wiki Known Issueswebsite:

It has been reported to Garmin, and they are working on it.

Hey guys, Cheers, the trick about setting it on car navigation and then switch to direct seems to work well.. Ill do that for now untill they fix it.. and thanks for linking me up with the list of faults...

I love the unit.. and will love it more once they update it again D: