Annoying geocachers

Have you ever had another geocacher have a go at you for little reason? Like when I posted a needs archived log on a cache disabled for over a month that I belived was missing?! (I had tryed and failed to find it) Please no rude language just use **** instead!

As in... you tried to find it and couldn't? Therefore you posted a NA based on your not being able to find it?

If that is the case, you probably didn't need a tongue-lashing, but you probably did need some correcting.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Have you ever had another geocacher have a go at you for little reason? Like when I posted a needs archived log on a cache disabled for over a month that I belived was missing?! (I had tryed and failed to find it) Please no rude language just use **** instead!

As in... you tried to find it and couldn't? Therefore you posted a NA based on your not being able to find it?

If that is the case, you probably didn't need a tongue-lashing, but you probably did need some correcting.

No, I could not find it and let the CO know, s/he disabled it and it was disabled for over a month and it was taking up caching space and if the CO was not going to check, it might as well be archived so there is more free space nearby, but NO! S/he sent me a e-mail saying how it should not be archived and that the cache was still there (Why disable it then) etc. Well lots of DNF=missing usally. And it is not like I sent a NA after being disabled for a week.

No, I could not find it and let the CO know, s/he disabled it and it was disabled for over a month and it was taking up caching space and if the CO was not going to check, it might as well be archived so there is more free space nearby, but NO! S/he sent me a e-mail saying how it should not be archived and that the cache was still there (Why disable it then) etc. Well lots of DNF=missing usally. And it is not like I sent a NA after being disabled for a week.

In that case... I'm on your side. :)

Your original post lacked that info. :(

The cache was disabled? Who disabled it? A reviewer? Then an NA log is pointless because the reviewer was the one who disabled it-they already know about it. Or was it the CO? Maybe the CO was working on a new cache? Maybe something happened and the CO wasn't able to fix it right away. From the info we have, there was no need for a NA.

Anyway why would you look for a cache that was disabled? Or where you watching it to see if anyone found it because you couldn't. Maybe it was missing and that's why it was disabled. And why would it be missing if you couldn't find it?

Edit Watching TV and doing this takes a bit of time so I missed your second post. Lot's of DNF's. It's still there apparently. The CO probably is too lazy to check, or doesn't know that it shows as disabled(or how to remove it.) He doesn't want to change enable it, well then things like these happen.

I'm not saying the CO wasn't out of line, but you shouldn't have done that. Mess with the bull, get the horns. Play with fire, get burned. Poke a sleeping bear....or whatever you prefer.

And to answer your question; Yes I had an experience with a cacher who was less than happy with me. I just ignored him. Unfortunately I had to see him around, so I was polite to him-Hello, goodbye. All that decent stuff. I still think he's mad at me , but we don't get into yelling matches when we see each other. I would say to just ignore him unless he tries to be a @**hole to you.

Edited by T.D.M.22

You have just described yourself as the classic annoying geocacher. It's people who behave as you do that cause most of the angst in the game.

Take a deep breath. Calm down.

The cache was disabled? Who disabled it? A reviewer? Then an NA log is pointless because the reviewer was the one who disabled it-they already know about it. Or was it the CO? Maybe the CO was working on a new cache? Maybe something happened and the CO wasn't able to fix it right away. From the info we have, there was no need for a NA.

Anyway why would you look for a cache that was disabled? Or where you watching it to see if anyone found it because you couldn't. Maybe it was missing and that's why it was disabled. And why would it be missing if you couldn't find it?

Edit Watching TV and doing this takes a bit of time so I missed your second post. Lot's of DNF's. It's still there apparently. The CO probably is too lazy to check, or doesn't know that it shows as disabled(or how to remove it.) He doesn't want to change enable it, well then things like these happen.

I'm not saying the CO wasn't out of line, but you shouldn't have done that. Mess with the bull, get the horns. Play with fire, get burned. Poke a sleeping bear....or whatever you prefer.

And to answer your question; Yes I had an experience with a cacher who was less than happy with me. I just ignored him. Unfortunately I had to see him around, so I was polite to him-Hello, goodbye. All that decent stuff. I still think he's mad at me , but we don't get into yelling matches when we see each other. I would say to just ignore him unless he tries to be a @**hole to you.

When I looked it was enabled, I could not find it, told CO and he disabled it, it was disabled for over a month so posted a NA to alert him to please archive or check the cache, he checked, it was still there so enabled it and then get a e-mail saying IT SHOULD NOT BE ARCHIVED when I was just alerting him and the reviewer that there may be a problem if the CO does not replace, not doing it to annoy people just alert them. I would not want the cache to be archived, but if the CO keeps disabled for ages then it should be.

Edited by TheHarleyRebels

You have just described yourself as the classic annoying geocacher. It's people who behave as you do that cause most of the angst in the game.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I am doing it so the community don't get annoyed with a cache that has disabled for a long time.

Took a minute to find a cache that fit the description... IF I got the right one (likely) then there were 3 DNF's prior to the OP, all with comments about the cache needing a checking out. Then the OP filed a find and NM again with comment about checking it out. Then came a CO disable log. NOTHING after that log, perhaps a NA was deleted.

That cache has a good history, including maintenance, so I understand the CO not wanting to archive it.

Points out the problem with the naming of that Log type... Needs (Reviewer) Attention would be far more apt as many have pointed out over the years...

That said, no excuse for tongue lashings, or for that matter hard feelings, unless there is more to it somehow.

There may be reasons for not rushing out and checking, but disabling the cache is proper until it is done.

Weather, holidays, work can mess up plans to do so, not to mention health. Who knows, the cache might be there somewhere, I look after one that requires refinding a lot. People keep relocating it to be helpful, and it is fine where it is without their assistance. Perhaps it was the CO and is just waiting for coordinate relocation update. I have never been there, but some places are just too exposed in winter months compared to spring through fall.

Anyway, it looks like it is being dealt with in some form, IF a NA was posted, the reviewer is probably doing their job and watching over it all. So time to get back to normal caching, I think.

Doug 7rxc

I did have one similar(?) incident... but, just the opposite.

I had a problem (micro) cache that I had voluntarily archived. An email from another 'cacher did not feel that it should be... and so stated in his email. I thought it strange, but replaced it (again) and even got my reviewer to un-archive it. An unusual request, but he did. It had only been archived a day or so, apparently nobody had the location 'reserved'.

Exactly. I just archived a listing that took 5 years to get the permit and permission because of three logged DNF and a suggestion that I go and check the cache and see if it was still in place. It was, I had someone watching it for me. So if you can't find it be sure to log a DNF and that the cache needs archived because it's holding up space that you won't never place a geocache.

Ya, I saw a somewhat nasty reply posted on the cache page by the CO after I posted a NA. The cache had 5 years of consistent finds w/ just an occasional DNF. All of a sudden, 5 DNFs in a row over a period of 4 months. Three months later, one of the cachers who DNFd wrote a note asking for confirmation. That went unanswered for another 7 months. I posted a NA w/ "The number of consecutive DNFs for over a year are a bit irregular on this cache and the request note for confirmation has gone unanswered." The next day, the CO posted a maintenance log w/ "The cache is present! Just because you lack the skills necessary to find it doesn't mean you have it archived. Actions like that ruin a lot of great caches that owners put time and thought into. It is a shame!". I don't know, maybe I was being annoying, but it did drive confirmation. :anibad:

One time I was researching caches before a trip. The cache was listed as a Large, I think; but recent posts suggested it was much smaller. I posted a note (not a NM or NA, mind you) asking for clarification on the size. Got a nastygram from the CO, saying I was ruining the caching experience for others by posting the question. He also deleted my note and posted on the cache page, "Cache is in place. Please privately email if you wish to have information about the cache. Otherwise, do not place a cache that is physically in place, active and dry in jeopardy of Review. Thank you."

Oh, and he changed the cache's size to "not chosen". :rolleyes:

I chose not to go after that cache on my trip.

Edited by TriciaG

Why did you archive it, if it was OK? Unless there's a backstory, it sounds more like sour grapes than anything.

Me? Maybe it's just not fair that I place a geocache on WPSP property, and I don't want it to come back to cause any employees problems. I also archived a EarthCache listed on Park property for the same reason. :ph34r:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4N5WT_zebra-swallowtail-butterfly

So no back story, just hind sight. :anibad:

I wasn't talking to you, Harley. :) I wondered why someone would voluntarily archive a cache such as M.P.H. described. I would have logged a NA eventually in the situation you described, but I probably would have waited at least 2 months instead of just one. Especially this time of year, few people are looking or hiding new caches, anyway. There's no hurry.

P.S. And for the record, M.P.H., I misread your last sentence about logging DNF's as sarcasm, which is why I mentioned sour grapes. My fault.

Edited by TriciaG

I wasn't talking to you, Harley. :) I wondered why someone would voluntarily archive a cache such as M.P.H. described. I would have logged a NA eventually in the situation you described, but I probably would have waited at least 2 months instead of just one. Especially this time of year, few people are looking or hiding new caches, anyway. There's no hurry.

P.S. And for the record, M.P.H., I misread your last sentence about logging DNF's as sarcasm, which is why I mentioned sour grapes. My fault.

I have had a few cache areas trashed lately, and if this were to happen at the Park it would really cause a conflict with the Park naturelist, they even wanted me to fill out a permit for my existing EarthCache that is next to one of the many Waymarks that require no permission. My spouse is an employee of the Park, so I backed off. Hope you understand. :(

Did the OP post the NA because the cache was holding up space where they wanted to place a cache, or are they just enforcing the game? :unsure: There is a difference.

Why did you archive it, if it was OK? Unless there's a backstory, it sounds more like sour grapes than anything.

It was enabled after that, but I only did it had been disabled for over a month, and I was trying to get CO attention, most over geocaches I have done this to have been happy that I gave them a nudge!

Being disabled for 4 weeks, it did not deserve a NA, which is a typical overreaction on your part, and a few months premature. It also sounds like the CO overreacted as well to a simple log type. Our local reviewer may send out a prompt after a cache is disabled for over a month, but I also noticed that he had a few of his own that were disabled much longer than that. Not everything needs to be attended to right away, as the goal is to get them fixed, not archived.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I am doing it so the community don't get annoyed with a cache that has disabled for a long time.

Don't help. At least not that fast. Disabled for a month isn't really all that long. People do have lives to lead, and that does not always include caching.

Posting an NA was just plain not needed. You jumped the gun, posted what wasn't necessary, and now you're bent because the CO took a dim view of it. Get over it.

I really have my doubts if the UK needs another Cache-cop.

Ok guys, I have learnt my lesson, maybe I was a bit early posting a NA. Ill wait longer before posting a NA.

I would wait a few months before posting a Needs Archive and only after a Needs Maintenance has been posted. I used to wait at least 6 months, now I will do it sometimes sooner, for instance, if the cache owner has a history of not replacing caches or a newbie that hasn't logged on in months. Being a cache cop will annoy a few people, but overall, it will benefit your community. If you find you get alot of negative reactions, you can always just email your reviewer and ask them to help so you don't have to post anything on the cache page.

Being a cache cop will annoy a few people, but overall, it will benefit your community.

You just keep telling yourself that.

But it's not true; it is a rationalization.

Here's an idea: instead of "helping" the community by being a cache cop, do something productive, like carrying spare logs to put in caches, or even carrying spare containers to replace caches that get damaged or go missing. Yes, I know it's "not your responsibility," but it is a whole lot more community-minded (and helpful) than the cache cop routine.

Being a cache cop will annoy a few people, but overall, it will benefit your community.

Here's an idea: instead of "helping" the community by being a cache cop, do something productive, like carrying spare logs to put in caches, or even carrying spare containers to replace caches that get damaged or go missing. Yes, I know it's "not your responsibility," but it is a whole lot more community-minded (and helpful) than the cache cop routine.

So being a throwdowner is helping the community? :blink:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=427

Edited by Moon Pie Mafia

Most reviewers I have seen do periodic sweeps for caches which have been disabled for some time and prompt the owner for action. I doubt they need additional reminders. I have had caches disabled for several months and I would be annoyed if someone dumped a NA on them. How long is too long to be out of action? That's between the CO and the reviewer to figure out together.

No. It is not. I do not advocate throwdowns.

It's a close call, but even throwdowns are preferable to cache cops.

See what I've bolded. That's like someone saying that smoking is bad and should be banned outright, then proceeding to light one up.

rant

So you look for my great hide called cache ABC. I hid it well enough you can't find it and think it's missing, so you throw down a new cache, say a pill bottle. You not only outright cheat to get a smiley (You could have logged it and said you found it. If it's missing there's no log to check) You also cheat other people. The worst part is they don't even know they're being cheated. All the while, my clever cache is still sitting there....I could understand cheating if there was money at stake, or even in Hockey for the Stanley Cup, or Football and the Super bowl.

I could even understand replacing a damaged cache, or contacting the CO saying you think it's missing, and put a replacement out-that way I could go check on the cache at least.

/rant

Edited by T.D.M.22

It's not so much about a finder's responsibility but about a responsibility to the game. Every cache should have an active owner. When you throw down or replace you ultimately also neglect and abandon what you threw down.

Perhaps you've had negative experiences with 'cache cops' or perhaps your definition of 'cache cop' is different than mine.

The way I do things definitely benefits our caching community. I have had people thank me for my efforts. I have seen many new caches being published where old ones were archived because of my Needs Archive requests. I have also seen what happens when nobody posts Needs Archive requests....months and months of DNFs and needs maintenance requests and nothing being done. I have seen strings of more than a dozen DNFs in a row....What a waste of everybody's time. Apparently our reviewer agrees with me, as she follows up almost all my Needs Archive requests with a 30-day warning, followed by an archival if no response.

In addition to posting Needs Archive requests, I do other things. In my backpack, I have a towel for wiping wet caches down, replacement micro logbooks, little notebooks, pencils, flagging, swag. Every time I go out, I am wiping down wet caches. During the last week, I replaced moldy swag in several containers and moldy/wet logbooks twice. Occasionally I will replace a container if it's in bad shape and the owner's no longer around.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Perhaps you've had negative experiences with 'cache cops' or perhaps your definition of 'cache cop' is different than mine.

The way I do things definitely benefits our caching community. I have had people thank me for my efforts. I have seen many new caches being published where old ones were archived because of my Needs Archive requests. I have also seen what happens when nobody posts Needs Archive requests....months and months of DNFs and needs maintenance requests and nothing being done. I have seen strings of more than a dozen DNFs in a row....What a waste of everybody's time. Apparently our reviewer agrees with me, as she follows up almost all my Needs Archive requests with a 30-day warning, followed by an archival if no response.

In addition to posting Needs Archive requests, I do other things. In my backpack, I have a towel for wiping wet caches down, replacement micro logbooks, little notebooks, pencils, flagging, swag. Every time I go out, I am wiping down wet caches. During the last week, I replaced moldy swag in several containers and moldy/wet logbooks twice. Occasionally I will replace a container if it's in bad shape and the owner's no longer around.

If you are replacing containers for ownerless caches you are not doing the community a favor. You are keeping a cache alive that someone who is no longer interested in geocaching left behind as geolitter. CITO and post a NA if you want to help the community. :anibad:

Most reviewers I have seen do periodic sweeps for caches which have been disabled for some time and prompt the owner for action. I doubt they need additional reminders. I have had caches disabled for several months and I would be annoyed if someone dumped a NA on them. How long is too long to be out of action? That's between the CO and the reviewer to figure out together.

Agreed. This is something best left to reviewers.

If you are replacing containers for ownerless caches you are not doing the community a favor. You are keeping a cache alive that someone who is no longer interested in geocaching left behind as geolitter. CITO and post a NA if you want to help the community. :anibad:

I agree for the most part. I rarely do this anymore, unless the cache has historic value.

Agreed. This is something best left to reviewers.

Not all reviewers do this regularly, though. It would be great if reviewers would do periodic sweeps regularly, say every 3 months. One of our reviewers did this for a while, at which point I stopped posting Needs Archive requests. Fabulous! However, she only does it intermittently now, for instance when a big event is coming up. I find it helpful to post Needs Archive requests to bring problem caches to her attention sooner.

Here's some examples. In all cases, the owners were no longer caching...I'm not even sure they were aware their caches were archived...

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCXMP7_tezcatlipoca

Soggy Film cannister

Last found October 2012

6 DNFs and 1 Needs Maintenance

Needs Archive posted June 2013

Archived by Reviewer July 2013

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCEE73_guns-at-macaulay-the-return

Container cracked and contents wet

Coordinates+hint incorrect for a long time due to cache being moved out of fenced off area (the fence was put up after the cache was placed)

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3046H_magnets-how-do-they-work

Last found January 2012. Magnet attached to signpost.

6 DNFs + 1 Needs Maintenance

Needs Archive posted May 2012

Archived by Reviewer June 2012

The guidelines give a guideline of "a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your [disabled] cache". Once you have been around for a while, you find out that most cache owners do manage to replace missing caches within that time, but there are often people who take longer. Sometimes the cache is hard to get to, sometimes the cache owner has to make or acquire a replacement container. The main issue is generally that life gets in the way. Other things come up that are more important that replacing a container on a missing cache.

The OP may have simply intended to remind the cache owner that they cache had been disabled for a while and wanted to push them toward replacing the cache. And sometimes this work. I've seen caches disabled a long time, get an NA, and boom! the CO goes and replaces the cache. The threat of NA is very powerful. But this power can also cause angry reactions. After all, if the CO is really working on getting the cache replaced, they are going to wonder why you posted a NA when you could've simply sent email and asked when they were going to replace the cache. Post NA is calling out the CO on the cache page and saying that they aren't maintaining the cache. Better to handle this with a private message before embarrassing someone.

But, as CO, if you post the occasional note to say what's happening, so other cachers know you haven't forgotten about the cache...

I agree for the most part. I rarely do this anymore, unless the cache has historic value.

We have a few around home that are taboo to post a NA on, the locals complain to contact at Groundspeak and things get ugly. I use the listing as a TB graveyard now, also I have photos of my childeren when they were wee little poots hiking with dad. The cache is non-exsistant and one disgusted seeker carved "Cache not here" on the tree and posted a photo on the ownerless listing, but it remains published because it has "historic value" of being a old missing geocache without an owner. :anibad:

But, as CO, if you post the occasional note to say what's happening, so other cachers know you haven't forgotten about the cache...

This ^^^

Most email services include a Calendar. Just get the calendar to ping you every month to check on the cache and if you can't, the calendar notice will remind you to post a note on your cache listing about why you haven't been able to get to the cache yet.

After reading this thread I get the feeling that any one who reads it will be deathly afraid to ever post a "Needs Archived" log again. Agreed that the original poster did jump the gun on this one but there are plenty of current caches that should be archived.

Out of curiosity I did a pocket query and selected the "needs maintenance attribute" for a 25 mile area around my home location. Got 410 caches. This is about 15% of the caches in this area. I looked at the first 20 on the list sorted by last found.

First looked at the logs (all 20 were last found over a year and a half ago). Also checked the logs for owner maintenance. Then looked at the difficulty and terrain rating keeping in mind that some of the higher ones will be harder to find.

Last checked to see if the owner was still active.

Of the 20 I looked at 5 should be archived and another 3 have legitimate "Needs maintenance" logs placed on them that hasn't been addressed by the cache owner.

The 5 that should be archived have had at least 5 DNF's and one needs maintenance and the cache owner has not been active for over 6 months.

The other 3 have multiple DNF's in a row but have some history of being found in between. In all of these cases the cache owner has not posted any type of response to either the DNF's or the Needs maintenance for over 3 months.

Regular reviewer sweeps would be a great way to weed out many of these caches but lets face it reviewers have enough to do and it IS a voluntary position. Reviewers rely on the geocaching community to help in identifying caches that need to be repaired or removed.

To help or not to help is the other question here. Should you repair someones cache by replacing a damaged container or a log book that's full? I do, and I think that done responsibly it's a good thing.

When I do repair someones cache I make it a point to check the activity of the cache owner when I get home. If they are actively caching and have a history of maintaining there caches I simply e-mail them to let them know what I did. I also post the repair in my log.

If they are not active I will post a needs maintenance log even though I repaired the cache. I will not post the repair in my log nor sent the cache owner an e-mail. This will do one of two things.

1. The cache owner will check up on the cache and see that it's ok and hopefully post an owners maintenance log. Meanwhile any future cachers won't be subject to a cache that's in bad shape.

2. The cache owner will not respond to the needs maintenance and the cache will be flagged for the reviewer to keep an eye on.

Don't be afraid to use "needs archived" but make sure that the cache truly needs to be removed.

Also, use "Needs Maintenance" whenever a cache is in trouble. It's a great way to alert a responsible cache owner that there is a problem and helps reviewers make sure cache owners are doing what they are suppose to do.

Edited by justintim1999

With the exception of a few overtly compulsive cachers, the "community" would not get annoyed over a cache which was only disabled for a month. Some of us have real lives outside this hobby. There are roughly 80 bajillion more caches out there you can find.

Back on topic:

To date, I've had a grand total of one very unpleasant experience with a fellow cacher. I was speaking with a Senior Forester about the lay out of a pending cache, and he asked for my help. There was a cache in a guardrail, in his front yard. This front yard also happened to be non public access area of a a State Forest which required explicit permission for cache hides. This cache had no such permission. Folks kept pulling into his yard to get the cache. The Forester was willing to forgive the lack of permission, if folks would stop driving on his lawn. I let the owner know about the Forster's concerns, asking that he post something on the cache page regarding appropriate parking. The next time I spoke with the Forester, several months later, he told me he was still having folks pull up onto his lawn. I checked the cache page, saw there was no changes, paid a visit to the cache to see things first hand, and posted an NA.

You would've thought I kicked his grandmother... :blink:

To date, I've had a grand total of one very unpleasant experience with a fellow cacher. I was speaking with a Senior Forester about the lay out of a pending cache, and he asked for my help. There was a cache in a guardrail, in his front yard. This front yard also happened to be non public access area of a a State Forest which required explicit permission for cache hides. This cache had no such permission. Folks kept pulling into his yard to get the cache. The Forester was willing to forgive the lack of permission, if folks would stop driving on his lawn. I let the owner know about the Forster's concerns, asking that he post something on the cache page regarding appropriate parking. The next time I spoke with the Forester, several months later, he told me he was still having folks pull up onto his lawn. I checked the cache page, saw there was no changes, paid a visit to the cache to see things first hand, and posted an NA.

You would've thought I kicked his grandmother... :blink:

Post an NA log and talk to the area approver.

No way that sort of thing should happen.

Shaun

Hmm... Had an argument with an orienteer. No finds, 1 hide. Lives 75 miles away from the cache.

No cache at the listed coords. He added a description of how to get to the cache from the mess tent of a private camp. The coords were over two miles off. I was called stupid, and that I don't know how to use a GPS. He never went back to correct the coords, and it was archived. Oh, well.