Double-discovering a TB/GC

Glory Hunters

Hello.

I was wondering whether the system is "protected" against discovering two or more times the same TB/GC. I mean, once you have logged like 500 TBs you most likely don't remember them all, and if you attend an event where there are tens of TBs to register, the odds are that you accidentally try to discover a TB that you had already seen.

If that's the case: does it count towards the number of TB/GC discovered? I also think the system should display a warning.

Thank you.

(my real geocaching username is Arnàutil, but it won't let me post in the forums because of the "à"...)

If you discover a bug twice at the same time it makes some sense, if you discover a bug at some future time why does it need a warning?

I remember taking a geocoin from a cache that looked familiar. When I logged it I realised I'd moved the exact same coin some time earlier. It was quite a distinctive coin (before there were so many different types of coin). If I subsequently encountered it again and discovered it, why is that a problem?

If you discover a bug twice at the same time it makes some sense, if you discover a bug at some future time why does it need a warning?

I remember taking a geocoin from a cache that looked familiar. When I logged it I realised I'd moved the exact same coin some time earlier. It was quite a distinctive coin (before there were so many different types of coin). If I subsequently encountered it again and discovered it, why is that a problem?

For me, yes, it is a problem: it is like double-logging the same cache. I mean, how can you discover something that you had already discovered?

I mean, it's not that I cannot sleep because of this, but it would be nice to know whether the double-discovery counts towards the total number of TB/GC. And my suggestion would be to implement a simple warning when you are trying to re-discover the same TB/GC, that wouldn't hurt.

There are at least 2 caches that can be logged multiple times:

Ye Ole Survey Monuments in the UK and Brass Cap Cache in Canada

Both are virtuals by the same owner. I know more about Ye Ole Survey Monuments as it's one that I've done several times - it changes location every couple of weeks to a new survey point (trig pillar/brass rivet) and you can log it at every location that it visits. There are currently 556 locations where it can be logged. At first I worried that it look odd on my stats but decided that I didn't care.

There are at least 2 caches that can be logged multiple times:

Ye Ole Survey Monuments in the UK and Brass Cap Cache in Canada

Both are virtuals by the same owner. I know more about Ye Ole Survey Monuments as it's one that I've done several times - it changes location every couple of weeks to a new survey point (trig pillar/brass rivet) and you can log it at every location that it visits. There are currently 556 locations where it can be logged. At first I worried that it look odd on my stats but decided that I didn't care.

That's a nice exception to double-logging a cache :) thanks for sharing!

You speak of discovering the same "TB/GC" as if they're the same thing. A TB or any other trackable is different than a Geocache. The main difference being that a Geocache doesn't move. So yes, it's silly to log a find on a Geocache twice because you already know where it is from the last time you found it, so how can you consider it another "find".

A trackable, on the other hand, may be discovered elsewhere from where you originally encountered it....in a different cache, in the hands of another cacher, at an event, maybe miles away on a different continent. I think it would be completely OK to log that you came across the same TB again, since the odds of coming across it again are pretty steep (unlike finding a regular cache that you already know where it is).

It's nothing like double-logging a cache.

If the whole idea is to move trackables along, aren't you doing the TO and the trackable a favor, by showing it's there and communicating it's location?

Why not have the system show you moved or found it?

We've found the same trackable a few times over the years. We moved it along.

- Isn't that actually what you're credited for? It says logged with the number on your profile.

This isn't a "point" other than showing how many times you've moved/discovered a trackable.

Pretty simple, really.

Edited by cerberus1

You speak of discovering the same "TB/GC" as if they're the same thing. A TB or any other trackable is different than a Geocache. The main difference being that a Geocache doesn't move. So yes, it's silly to log a find on a Geocache twice because you already know where it is from the last time you found it, so how can you consider it another "find".

A trackable, on the other hand, may be discovered elsewhere from where you originally encountered it....in a different cache, in the hands of another cacher, at an event, maybe miles away on a different continent. I think it would be completely OK to log that you came across the same TB again, since the odds of coming across it again are pretty steep (unlike finding a regular cache that you already know where it is).

It's nothing like double-logging a cache.

If the whole idea is to move trackables along, aren't you doing the TO and the trackable a favor, by showing it's there and communicating it's location?

Why not have the system show you moved or found it?

We've found the same trackable a few times over the years. We moved it along.

- Isn't that actually what you're credited for? It says logged with the number on your profile.

This isn't a "point" other than showing how many times you've moved/discovered a trackable.

Pretty simple, really.

I understand your point, however I don't agree with it. When you "discover" a trackable, for me it means you have seen it for the first time, and so you are logging it as a "find" (even though it's not a geocache, of course). However, I get that you can twist the meaning of "discover" and allow yourself to "discover" the same TB multiple times. I'm OK with that (double-logging a cache is much worse :) ).

Still, I think it would be useful that the system issued a warning when you are trying to re-discover a TB. I don't feel comfortable with acceidentally logging the same TB twice.

Anyway, nobody has answered my question yet: if you discover a trackable that you had already discovered, does your "trackables number" go up?

Edited by Glory Hunters

I always took one of the meanings for discover as it applies to geocaching as, "to find something unexpectedly, or in the course of a search".

That's not "twisting" the definition, that's how it shows in my dictionary.

You're just using "seen it for the first time" as the only meaning and I don't believe that's how it's interpreted in this hobby.

To be certain, keep your own list.

Don't log any trackables until you have checked the list.

Edited to add:

If you are just logging 'Discovered' all over the place to rack up a big number, you are already compromising the system, which is to actually MOVE the trackables.

Edited by nostra-dumass
Anyway, nobody has answered my question yet: if you discover a trackable that you had already discovered, does your "trackables number" go up?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

One obvious way to find out would be to discover a TB that's in your possession and see if your find count goes up. Then you can delete your own discover log to make it go back down again, if it does.

No, your trackable count does not go up if you discover or move the same TB twice. I've moved the same trackable at two different times and checked to see. Your trackable count is by individual trackable, not by number of instances of discovery or retrieval or grabbing.

On the other hand, if you find the same cache twice, then yes, your find count does go up.

A cache near us was muggled and subsequently adopted by another local caching team. When the new coordinates popped up, the witchjy half of us went looking for it and logged it again. We believe this is acceptable as double-logging as the coordinates had moved more that 10 feet AND the cache was in a new container.

No, your trackable count does not go up if you discover or move the same TB twice. I've moved the same trackable at two different times and checked to see. Your trackable count is by individual trackable, not by number of instances of discovery or retrieval or grabbing.

On the other hand, if you find the same cache twice, then yes, your find count does go up.

That's good to know. Now I can sleep peacefully again :)

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Travel Bug forum.

As a reminder, the thread's about double-logging trackables, not caches. Analogies to geocaches are fine, but there are other threads devoted to double-logging of geocaches per se.

Sorry about posting in the wrong forums.