Caching for a large party, Help please

dude2121

Hello everyone,

My name is Jeff.

I will be in charge of one venue of an all night senior party, (18 year olds)

We will have aproximately 3 hours at a private Nature preserve (1000acre). The kids will be bussed to 4 different venues of about 3 hours each through out the night. One of the venues will be the Nature preserve.

The nature preserve regularly does caching for private groups, we will have staff to help us, hand held gps, a large chalet with amenities,bonfire,etc.

There will be about 90 kids, I am told we will need to break the group in half and run 2 seperate competitions.

We want this to be really fun. We will have nice prizes donated and available, we are planning on teams of about 5.(any thoughts)

90% of these kids will have never used a GPS, except in cars, (navigation)

What I am looking for are ideas for the kids to have a BLAST,safely. Oh yea, its at night, in the dark (9pm-midnight). The staff are very competent and motivated to do something special.

How to utilize prizes?

Silly things to encounter along the way?

A memorable, fun experience for the kids

Any appropriate ideas will be much appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Wow. That sounds like a very tall order. Geocaching isn't exactly the kind of activity that 90 people can do in a group. It would be a major challenge even if you had 90 experienced Geocachers....90 complete novices with no experience using a GPS (and stumbling around in the dark, no less)....well, I just don't know.

What exactly did you have in mind for them to do?

This sounds like a puzzlehunt in a nature preserve. Perhaps some research into puzzlehunts might give you ideas.

If you use loaner GPS receivers, then be sure they're preprogrammed. Entering coordiantes is a challenge to a lot of newbies. And if you have people to use their smartphones, then expect a lot of people to be directed to the nearest street address, rather than to the actual coordinates.