Highest Elevation in Monroe, LA and West Monroe, LA

travis.schoen

Probably not much more than a lead, but I got all local by zip code for 71291.

From that page, you can do a new search for 71292.

Travis, I am an avid benchmarker and reside in West Monroe. I can probably answer that question, depending on what it is your really looking for.

Are you wanting known benchmarks in the city limits, or general area? Are you also looking for true elevation benchmarks (not intersection stations or such)?

Are you looking for benchmarks that are in the National Spatial Reference System (NGS marks)?

I have all the NGS marks loaded into GSAK and am able to filter by elevation to ascertain the info.

Edited by LSUFan

Thanks LSU!

I'm looking for the point highest elevation in Monroe and West Monroe. So I suppose that means true elevation benchmarks.

Any advice?

Probably not much more than a lead, but I got all local by zip code for 71291.

From that page, you can do a new search for 71292.

Travis, I am an avid benchmarker and reside in West Monroe. I can probably answer that question, depending on what it is your really looking for.

Are you wanting known benchmarks in the city limits, or general area? Are you also looking for true elevation benchmarks (not intersection stations or such)?

Are you looking for benchmarks that are in the National Spatial Reference System (NGS marks)?

I have all the NGS marks loaded into GSAK and am able to filter by elevation to ascertain the info.

Edited by travis.schoen

If you're looking for the land surface that's the highest, it may not help a lot to know where the highest bench mark is. They wouldn't likely have sought out that point to place a disk.

For the highest point, you might try Google Earth 3-D view to select candidates and then confirm with the topo map which is highest.

Travis:

I brought the boundaries of West Monroe, and Monroe into my GIS program and overlaid them on USGS elevation contour data and National Elevation Data. It appears that the high points in both cities are overpass embankments.

For West Monroe the high point is at 32.51138, -92.19194 (NAD83 Lat, Long) at an elevation of nearly 157 feet. There is an NGS Datasheet for a survey disk in the overpass roadway. It's PID is CQ2678.

For Monroe the high point is at 32.5181, -92.07986 (NAD83 Lat, Long) at an elevation of nearly 103 feet. The nearest PID for this point (CQ3431) is .3 miles away.

Hope that's what you wanted.

If you're looking for the land surface that's the highest, it may not help a lot to know where the highest bench mark is. They wouldn't likely have sought out that point to place a disk.

For the highest point, you might try Google Earth 3-D view to select candidates and then confirm with the topo map which is highest.

Thanks for the tip. I gave this a shot, but Monroe and West Monroe are so dadgum flat, its hard to find the peak.

Travis,

Are you a 'county high-pointer'? Just recently found out that there were such creatures! Anyway, I agree with Bill. kayakbird

Ha, I hadn't heard of the high-pointers until I was at the top of Driskill "Mountain" a few days ago and the group had conveniently placed a placard at the top of the hill.

Travis:

I brought the boundaries of West Monroe, and Monroe into my GIS program and overlaid them on USGS elevation contour data and National Elevation Data. It appears that the high points in both cities are overpass embankments.

For West Monroe the high point is at 32.51138, -92.19194 (NAD83 Lat, Long) at an elevation of nearly 157 feet. There is an NGS Datasheet for a survey disk in the overpass roadway. It's PID is CQ2678.

For Monroe the high point is at 32.5181, -92.07986 (NAD83 Lat, Long) at an elevation of nearly 103 feet. The nearest PID for this point (CQ3431) is .3 miles away.

Hope that's what you wanted.

This is exceptionally helpful. Thank you for this.

Do you know a way to find the highest point of elevation discounting man made structures?

After going down the list of highest points in Monroe (overpasses, mounds in gravel yards, and a backstop for a rifle range), I believe the highest natural area is the plateau of sorts that includes tri-station Sicard (CQ2664, N32.53019°, W092.01085°, NAD83) at an elevation of about 95 feet. The tri-station is actually just outside the city boundary. So inside the boundary look at N32.53047°, W092.01431° or somewhere nearby.

NGS lists tri-station Sicard as destroyed, but the circumstances seem odd. On Jan 1, 2011 GEOCAC recovered the station disk and two surviving reference marks but not the azimuth mark. On the very next day, NGS reported the station as destroyed with no explanation. Might be worth a trip to see what is or isn't there.

For West Monroe, it looks like the highest natural point within the city boundary (US Census) is at or near N32.50650°, W092.19290°. The topo map shows three enclosed 150 foot elevation contours there. However, the northerly one is at the exit and entry ramps of Interstate 20 and so may have been affected by construction.

After going down the list of highest points in Monroe (overpasses, mounds in gravel yards, and a backstop for a rifle range), I believe the highest natural area is the plateau of sorts that includes tri-station Sicard (CQ2664, N32.53019°, W092.01085°, NAD83) at an elevation of about 95 feet. The tri-station is actually just outside the city boundary. So inside the boundary look at N32.53047°, W092.01431° or somewhere nearby.

NGS lists tri-station Sicard as destroyed, but the circumstances seem odd. On Jan 1, 2011 GEOCAC recovered the station disk and two surviving reference marks but not the azimuth mark. On the very next day, NGS reported the station as destroyed with no explanation. Might be worth a trip to see what is or isn't there.

For West Monroe, it looks like the highest natural point within the city boundary (US Census) is at or near N32.50650°, W092.19290°. The topo map shows three enclosed 150 foot elevation contours there. However, the northerly one is at the exit and entry ramps of Interstate 20 and so may have been affected by construction.

Thanks a ton. I'll check out those spots and report back.

Check it out.

This is the West Monroe benchmark. It's right on the edge of a development.

This is the Monroe benchmark. Its a heavily wooded area off rte 80. I did some follow up and it appears that the land is owned by a trust.

Houston, we have a problem. I was in the geocaching group that recovered Sicard. I was teaching some friends how to recover tri-stations with this one. I encouraged my friend who lives near it to submit his first NGS recovery report on it, instead of me doing it. RM 1 was indeed destroyed, as we found a piece of the disk separated from it's setting. My friend stated such in his recovery report.

I was wondering if he might have submitted a destroyed report for the reference mark 1 (if it had a separate PID), and it mistakingly got flagged for the tri-station instead. I'll call him and see.................but SICARD is there, and I'll guarantee it. Maybe our ninja Dave Doyle will read this and can help.

Thanks for finding this tosborn, or I might have never known. Two big thumbs up of approval.

Edited by LSUFan

Check it out.

This is the Monroe benchmark. Its a heavily wooded area off rte 80. I did some follow up and it appears that the land is owned by a trust.

Travis, can I ask what it is exactly that you are calling "benchmarks"?

I don't think we are talking about the same things.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/#Whatis

Edited by LSUFan

Check it out.

Travis, can I ask what it is exactly that you are calling "benchmarks"?

I don't think we are talking about the same things.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/#Whatis

I'm looking for a specific benchmark. Highest natural elevation. With the help of Tosborn, I tracked down the point of highest elevation in Monroe and West Monroe. There are no actual benchmarks there, which is what I was hoping for.

Not sure how well that works. There used to be a Locationless Cache for "'H' Is For Highpoint." 'Find the highest point in a county'. So, we went looking for the highest point in Hudson County, NJ.

b067eb33-9a01-42bc-8510-29761ce12a1b.jpg

Two points looked good. Just north of the U in Guttenberg, or just west of the G. Not a lot of difference... (Someone had claimed the point in West New York as the highest point in 'Bergen' County. But the New Jersey Almanac says the highest point is in Guttenberg, so we claimed that one!

Another interesting one is the highest point in Passaic County NJ. It is on Bearfort Ridge, near Terrace Pond. The County Highpointers list five possible 'highest points'.

096e4911-4e3e-4ac2-bc1f-46bdfcd007f9.jpg

Two are near my cache at the Bearfort Benchmark. Marked by the A.

Another possibility is near my cache "Another Passaic County High Point." Point marked by the A.

caf8ca60-df2d-4640-ab86-bc5950d36aaa.jpg

Another three possible high points are shown at this point.

731e4508-96f6-417d-b1bf-d919895aaa0e.jpg

As you may see, Bearfort Ridge is a series of oval purple puddingstone rings, with lots of high points! Which of the five is the highest? Dunno! Tough hiking. But the five possibilities have geocaches!

So, I am not sure that checking the map is going to resolve the problem.

Oh. Here is the topo map for Bearfort Ridge:

6b01bbeb-0c7e-452a-9889-d2d1f6a0a5eb.jpg

Edited by Harry Dolphin

I talked to my friend about his recovery report for tri-station SICARD today. He said he didn't report anything beside the main station, and he even remembers checking on it about six months later, and reading his recovery report where everything was fine.

It makes me wonder if the word 'destroyed' was parsed later on down the road by NGS computers/programmers and erroneously flagged for a destroyed station (which it isn't).