Law Enforcement Encounters

JimC61

I went for a quick cache yesterday as I was in an area I don't get to very often. Since I was there I checked and there were a few hides very close to me so I went for the first one. Found it. Signed the log and left. As I was driving away, I was pulled over by local PD. Apparently they were watching the area where the cache was hidden, due to a rise in drug use activity in the area. What I also didn't know was where the cache was hidden is a spot where drugs have been dropped for someone to pick up in the past. Lucky me. Well I explained what I was doing and the cop had never heard of geocaching and I must not have been very convincing because he asked to search my car. I said of course I had nothing to hide. As a second cop showed up I got out was frisked and they searched the car. A 3rd cop showed up and he had heard of geocaching. So I had one on my side - finally.

After their search did not find any drugs they let me go on my way. They were very professional with me and I completely understand why they stopped me. I shook their hands as I left and they wished me luck searching. I decided not to push my luck and just left the area when I was finished with the business that brought me to the area in the first place. One of the cops told me that dealers are now using things like PayPal to work deals out. They get the money electronically then email the buyer where to pick up their drugs. Modern technology.

So my lesson learned... Forget the LPH's... :blink:

The hide was a magnetic key holder on the inside of the lamp post skirt. I wrote a note to the CO that he should archive the cache. If the drug problem is as bad as the police said it is we should avoid the area. The area the hide is in is the parking lot of a hotel in a mix of industry and retail, in a fairly well to do suburb of Cleveland Oh. In case anyone is interested here is the cache: http://coord.info/GC17N42

I am sure a lot if not all geocachers have had encounters with the police. Care to share some stories?

I have to wonder if the reported "drug" activity is just not cachers finding the LPC. Seems to me if the cops are sure that is where drugs are dropped, why not just go get the drugs? Sure would put the dealer in a hard spot, taking the money but not delivering. And having an electronic trail for the cops to follow is just plain stupid. Of course if your dealing drugs your probably a few bricks short of a full load.

Oddly enough, in 12 some years of geocaching the closest thing I've had to an encounter to a LEO was when we were on the way to a cache. We were walking along the edge of a marsh near a highway. A state trooper pulled over to warn us against walking on the highway shoulder because it's illegal. We assured him we had no intention of doing so and he drove on.

I've never been stopped in direct relation to geocaching.

Edited by briansnat

Our latest encounter was with the U.S. Border Patrol in a highway rest area just inside the U.S. border with Ontario.

He was giving his dog a run-free period and sauntered over to see what we were doing looking at and around the nondescript planted pine trees. As I started to explain geocaching, two different parties -- each carrying GPSr units -- came walking up to us, one Canadian crew and one other U.S. crew. He rolled his eyes and said, "Have fun, ya'll", and went back to his dog who was busy tossing and chasing sticks by himself.

I was caching with a friend, studying a gate in great detail looking for a cache, when two police officers approached us. They asked what we were doing, we explained geocaching, they asked why we were wearing hi-vis tops so we explained that because we were on bicycles we wanted to be visible, they asked if we had seen anything unusual and we said not, and they went on their way.

Later that day we were under a bridge on a path and decided not to hunt a cache because on the path over the bridge two police officers were arresting someone for something drug-related.

Another time I was hunting a cache that involved getting into a river, following the river underneath the road, and retrieving the cache. There were four of us, two were going to stay and guard the bikes and two were in the river. At that point a policeman on a bicycle came past and asked what we were doing. We explained geocaching, he wished us good luck and went on his way.

My first encounter with a LEO was with my first cache placed to support a local semi-annual event.

I went to remove some of the log sheets and when I looked up, there was a cruiser behind my vehicle.

I went to see what was up and he indicated that someone had called in some people down the embankment.

Long story short, I was told that the area was off limits (although there are many other caches in similar locations) and I had to archive the cache.

The second time I was caching in a downtown park and was in the corner of the park looking for a cache...my body was hidden, but my feet and legs were visible to what turned out to be an undercover officer.

He drove over and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was caching. He was surprised that there was a geocache there (AMIAT).

He knew what caching was and once he knew what I was up to, he drove away.

I have to wonder if the reported "drug" activity is just not cachers finding the LPC. Seems to me if the cops are sure that is where drugs are dropped, why not just go get the drugs? Sure would put the dealer in a hard spot, taking the money but not delivering. And having an electronic trail for the cops to follow is just plain stupid. Of course if your dealing drugs your probably a few bricks short of a full load.

And people thought we were crazy in another thread. As a LEO, I can assure you that drug drops do happen. Why do they not want to just take the drugs? Because they want to get the bigger fish. Just as in pest control, in order to get rid of some pests, you need to get rid of their food source. Pests would be drug buyers. Food source would be the dealers.

Edited by woodsters

I was Geocaching up in the mountains the weekend of a Mega event. (going for the Ape event.) Looking for a cache by the road and a LEO drove up, asked if I was Geocaching. I told him I was, and he asked me about it. He had been told the 800+ people up on the pass were caching, and He didn't know for sure what it was.

I guess when he saw me by myself he figured it would be easier to ask me. We had a very nice conversation, and all the time we were talking his partner kept dropping a tennis ball out the window to me. (he was a K-9 cop.)The whole encounter made that one of my more enjoyable caches.

I've had a couple other talks with LEOs and security people. I'm always polite with them and have never had a bad experience.

Oddly enough, in 12 some years of geocaching the closest thing I've had to an encounter to a LEO was when we were on the way to a cache. We were walking along the edge of a marsh near a highway. A state trooper pulled over to warn us against walking on the highway shoulder because it's illegal. We assured him we had no intention of doing so and he drove on.

You must not be as suspicious looking as I am then. I've had 3 major incidents in 10 1/2 years, including being called in for suspicious activity on a bike trail the next town over, and that town sending an LEO from my town to my house to talk to me about it. Except I wasn't home, so he had to talk to Mrs. Yuck. But the best one is when I was detained for 20 minutes by 5 squad cars from the Clark, New Jersey Police Department. A town since made famous for being where internet celebrity Kai the hatchet wielding hitchhiker murdered a Lawyer. That is famous, right? :blink:

I have a cache right outside our local police headquarters (<20m from the gate) because there's an interesting sculpture there. Before I set it I went inside to clear it with them and the container was taken through to the assistant police chief for the area, who'd never heard of it although someone in the office had. After a short internet search they came back to say how interesting it was and that I was ok to place it.

I don't mention on the cache page that it's outside a police station and it's interesting to see how people log it. Often they mention police cars driving past with the officers inside smiling at them

Thought I'd add this

In almost 13 years of geocaching I've had 1 LEO encounter and he was more interested in the pill bottle in my hand it was the cache

Most embarrassing one: I was looking for a cache nearby, but had to relieve myself first. I found a spot with pretty good cover in some brush and was interrupted by an officer in a car about 40 feet away. She couldn't see below the the top of the brush (thankfully) but asked if I knew anything about the nearby police activity (what a strange question! Why not use your radio?) I think she knew what I was doing and got a smirk out of it. Oh, the ignominy!

Once I was confronted with an angry farmer, who was suspicious about the activity on his fishing area. It was nearby a public road and bridge, so I just said I don't do fishing or other illegal activity - and went my way (he was very aggressive, approached me with his running tractor, a hay fork prepared). Later that afternoon, two LEOs came to my house. I explained geocaching, they already heard about it, and it was OK. I filed a NA log, since the cops took the cache. It was a crappy one anyway.

A similar, but more funny one sone month ago: I FTF'd a cache near the fence of a geothermal facility (automatically operating 24/7) just before midnight. There was a road, but I parked outside of a closed gate. When I walked back the road to my car, another car flew by. Well, I thought, that must be the STF, who may have found the gate unlocked (I didn't test, I wouldn't have opened it anyway). So I sat in my car, writing the FTF-log and planned to greet the fellow STF cacher when he comes out again. Which happens some minutes later. I approached him in the dark (however, not stealthy) as he closed the gate, and just as I said "Hi" I spotted the words "SECURITY" on an uniform. Ooops! He was surprised, too, but instantly gave report: "All perfectly in order, Sir, just an open window!" ... Military training, maybe? :) I couldn't switch so fast and he got suspicious, then asked: "You're from the company, are you?" I choosed to stay on the truth and just said "No, I'm just waiting for someone. Good bye!". He was a bit confused for himself, maybe he was late on patrol schedule and anxious some supervisor is behind him. He left in a rush, without checking me further. I left soon behind him and edited a warning into my found log, should he come back with reinforcement later that night. Glad he carried no weapon...(he most probably was no clever disguised geocacher, I checked the subsequent logs for that).

My sister-in-law and I (with my 9 yr old son and her 1 yr old daughter) were on our very first cache hunt and were still trying to figure things out. Wouldn't you know it, two cops pull up and start chatting with each other and we are fumbling around with our faces in our phones. After a while they called us over and asked what we were up to. We explained, they seemed intrigued and wished us luck. I looked up and all of a sudden the clue made sense and we got our first smiley!

Just one for me and it was a more or less positive experience. I was parked just off the road near an overpass and walking to a cache at the end of the bridge. Local police stopped and asked if I needed help apparently thinking I had car trouble. I explained that I was caching and there was one on the bridge. He thanked me for the information and commented that had wondered why he had seen so many people parking there and walking out on the bridge.

My husband is LEO and he has (of course) heard of geocaching. He has questioned several cachers. After he questions them, he will usually call me and ask if I have found the cache they are looking for. :D

My only encounter with an officer was in Tenn. I saw the state trooper sitting in a parking lot, but decided to go for the cache anyway. I parked, then had to walk up a hill on a blocked road. Officer moved his vehicle, so I knew he was watching me. I found the cache, walked back down the hill, got in my car and drove off. He waved at me as I drove by him. I really expected him to stop and question me. I was in a secluded area in an out-of-state vehicle. Either he knew about the cache or my minivan wasn't very intimidating. :P

In the six plus years I've been caching, I've only had one experience with the law. It was in the middle of February and the days were warm enough to melt some snow during the day but would freeze it again at night. I was on a remote road at a fairly high (4500 ft.) elevation and was able to park well off the road. When I got out of the truck I found that GZ was a little over a quarter of a mile down a steep and heavily wooded hill. I made it down to the cache and was disappointed to find the ammo can under a log covered by eight to ten inches of solid ice. No way I was going to go through all this and not sign the log, so back up the hill I went to grab my shovel. I got back down to the cache and started chipping away at the ice. Twenty five minutes later the cache was in hand and the log had been signed. Back up the hill I went. You have to remember that it was a steep hill, it was cold and it was a high elevation. I came bursting out of the woods, trying to catch my breath, doubled over and holding on to my shovel to keep from falling down. I looked up at my truck and saw a State Trooper parked behind it. He gave me the index finger come hither signal, but I was so out of breath that all I could was hold up my hand and shake my head no. He gave a quick blast on the siren and repeated his request for me to join him at his car. I figured I'd better do it. When I got to his car I was still trying hard to catch my breath. He rolled down his window and said "I really need to ask you what you're doing. You're in an isolated area, you come charging out of the woods, you're out of breath and you have a shovel in your hands. What's going on?" Still out of breath I pointed to the GPSr in my shirt pocket and managed to say "I'm....a....Geocacher." He said "Oh....I've heard of that....Goodby." And off he went.

I've had two LEO encounters and both were uneventful.

The first one was late at night and they were already onsite when I got there. I pre-emptively told them what I was doing so they wouldn't wonder why someone was being so intimate with the railings.

The second one was in a somewhat sketchy neighbourhood, and made me laugh.

For me, it is fun to deal with the cops when I haven't done anything wrong.

Edited by Keystone

The first time I was out on a run to remove "bandit signs" late one night in town. These are the cheap advertising signs usually planted at street corners illegally. In some states this spam is classified as litter, but not in NJ. One evening I had stopped on the side of the road and stuffed a few in my trunk around midnight when a police officer stopped and asked me what I was doing. I didn't feel like explaining it, so I told him I was Geocaching. I opened the app and showed him a bunch of nearby geocaches on the map. He knew vaguely what it was and let me go.

The second time I had pulled into a dirt parking lot just after dark to smoke a massive doobie. It looked like something out of a Cheech and Chong movie, rolled up with several Job 1.5 papers. Just as I was about to light it, I noticed the unmistakable front end of a white Crown Victoria pull in. I quickly stuffed it into a small sandwich sized lock n lock and reached between the rear seats, opened up the center opening to the trunk and tossed it in. Just as I was closing it up, the cop shone a spot light into the car and got out to ask me what I was doing. I told him I was geocaching. Unfortunately he had never heard of it, and started to shine his flashlight into the rear seat and all. Another police officer pulled in and the first cop asked me if he could search the car. He said if I objected he could call the K-9 unit, and if the dog reacted, it would give them probable cause to search anyhow. Before I could answer fully the other cop asked what I was doing, and after I said geocaching, he waived me on and said just not to go in there after dark anymore, so I left.

The third time I was disposing of a body. I had done a little research and thought that the best place where nobody would ever go was in the center of the NJ parkway. There was a place were the median was a few tenths wide with plenty of trees and foliage. I thought that it would be years before anyone found it. I could unload the trunk quickly on the shoulder, drag it a few hundred feet, and stuff it under some leaves. Although it was too cold to dig a hole, the weather was starting getting warm enough to cause it to stink up the trunk. So one night I made a quick stop, put on the flashers, and dragged it out there. On the way back, a cop stopped and asked me what the heck I was doing. I told him I was geocaching, but he said that those woods were off limits. I explained that it was a puzzle, and I had probably solved it wrong, as there was no checker on the page. He replied that I should just stick to traditional LPCs and left.

The third time I was disposing of a body....

Just another day in New Jersey! LOL

Real World-----> I open carry a Glock everyday. I have yet to be stopped by the police for any of my activities.

I'm wondering if he is testing our reading comprehension. At least I hope that's what's going on... :unsure:

Real World-----> I open carry a Glock everyday. I have yet to be stopped by the police for any of my activities.

I'm wondering if he is testing our reading comprehension. At least I hope that's what's going on... :unsure:

I wasn't implying that I'm killing people and getting away with it, if that's what you're getting at.

The first time I was out on a run to remove "bandit signs" late one night in town. These are the cheap advertising signs usually planted at street corners illegally. In some states this spam is classified as litter, but not in NJ. One evening I had stopped on the side of the road and stuffed a few in my trunk around midnight when a police officer stopped and asked me what I was doing. I didn't feel like explaining it, so I told him I was Geocaching. I opened the app and showed him a bunch of nearby geocaches on the map. He knew vaguely what it was and let me go.

The second time I had pulled into a dirt parking lot just after dark to smoke a massive doobie. It looked like something out of a Cheech and Chong movie, rolled up with several Job 1.5 papers. Just as I was about to light it, I noticed the unmistakable front end of a white Crown Victoria pull in. I quickly stuffed it into a small sandwich sized lock n lock and reached between the rear seats, opened up the center opening to the trunk and tossed it in. Just as I was closing it up, the cop shone a spot light into the car and got out to ask me what I was doing. I told him I was geocaching. Unfortunately he had never heard of it, and started to shine his flashlight into the rear seat and all. Another police officer pulled in and the first cop asked me if he could search the car. He said if I objected he could call the K-9 unit, and if the dog reacted, it would give them probable cause to search anyhow. Before I could answer fully the other cop asked what I was doing, and after I said geocaching, he waived me on and said just not to go in there after dark anymore, so I left.

The third time I was disposing of a body. I had done a little research and thought that the best place where nobody would ever go was in the center of the NJ parkway. There was a place were the median was a few tenths wide with plenty of trees and foliage. I thought that it would be years before anyone found it. I could unload the trunk quickly on the shoulder, drag it a few hundred feet, and stuff it under some leaves. Although it was too cold to dig a hole, the weather was starting getting warm enough to cause it to stink up the trunk. So one night I made a quick stop, put on the flashers, and dragged it out there. On the way back, a cop stopped and asked me what the heck I was doing. I told him I was geocaching, but he said that those woods were off limits. I explained that it was a puzzle, and I had probably solved it wrong, as there was no checker on the page. He replied that I should just stick to traditional LPCs and left.

:laughing:

I wasn't implying that I'm killing people and getting away with it, if that's what you're getting at.

Nope, I was talking about 4wheelin_fool. :P

I actually believe the "first time" story. I'll bet he goes around at night and stuffs those signs in his trunk. :ph34r:

..... because he ASKED to search my car. I said of course I had nothing to hide.

What you should have done, was tell him no.

Yes, thaty always ends well. If they wanna search your car, they will search your car. Doesn't take much to get that little piece of paper. Just remember, it only inconviences you. They are getting paid for their time. No matter how long it takes.

..... because he ASKED to search my car. I said of course I had nothing to hide.

Yes, thaty always ends well. If they wanna search your car, they will search your car. Doesn't take much to get that little piece of paper. Just remember, it only inconviences you. They are getting paid for their time. No matter how long it takes.

In order to get that piece of paper they have to show probable cause. Lacking a dog hitting on drugs or bomb making supplies, which if it does is probable cause, then they are going to need to explain what is the reason for searching your car. Most judges will not allow the answer "Because he said no and we think he might be hiding something" for a valid reason. I've thought about it and if asked I probably would say no. But then I probably don't fit most profiles for asking that question.

There's a difference between knowing, and exercising your rights, and being an a-hole. Personally, as long as I have nothing to hide, and the officer is professional I'd let him.

Not a lot of freedom and rights in Canada anyways, right? You even allowed to tell law enforcement no up there?

I live in Canada and not sure what the laws are. If a cop wanted to search through my banana peels and used napkins, they're most welcome.

To all of you;

I believe that Grouhdspeak has a standing offer of free premium account access to any local law enforcement agency. Great way for them to keep track of where the caches are in their jurisdiction and reduce nusance calls. Not sure how they apply for said membership. Perhaps a Lackey will chime in here soon.

Edited by ras_oscar

In order to get that piece of paper they have to show probable cause. Lacking a dog hitting on drugs or bomb making supplies, which if it does is probable cause, then they are going to need to explain what is the reason for searching your car. Most judges will not allow the answer "Because he said no and we think he might be hiding something" for a valid reason. I've thought about it and if asked I probably would say no. But then I probably don't fit most profiles for asking that question.

I'm going to reply with the same advice I give my teenage children. Say "I will not give you my permission to search, but I will not stop you from doing so, either." I have no intention of having a probable cause debate on the street. Neither do I wishh to limit my defense options in court. Besides, who knows what might accidently fall out of the oficer's pocket onto the floor of my car?

To all of you;

I believe that Grouhdspeak has a standing offer of free premium account access to any local law enforcement agency. Great way for them to keep track of where the caches are in their jurisdiction and reduce nusance calls. Not sure how they apply for said membership. Perhaps a Lackey will chime in here soon.

They create the account and ask. It's that simple. (I did it for the local PD)

To all of you;

Using the "report this post" feature to induce that result isn't productive. The reports go to the volunteer moderators, not to Groundspeak.

The answer to your question can be found here: http://www.geocaching.com/parksandpolice/

:laughing:

There's actually a cache like that around me :laughing:

GCYYMZ - The Body

The cacher also has a blog. He has an article on how he dragged "The Body" into the woods at night! :laughing:

http://zartimus.blogspot.ca/2006/10/planting-body-geocache.html

That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard! I've run into law enforcement a LOT geocaching in South Jersey, in fact a State Trooper just pulled me over the other day after doing a night cache and told me I'm not allowed in a State Forest after dark.....10 feet from the entrance to the campground....lmao

I've been a cop of some sort since 1982. Other than on the Internets, I have yet to hear about drug dealers leaving a stash at some random spot for other folks to pick up later. Knowing how trusting drug users are, I can't imagine them digitally sending $$$ to some online account, for dope to be picked up later. Assuming, just for quirky argument's sake, if some drug dealer did employ this method, would it be logical for them to use the same hiding spot? Seems like the drug user could just hang out nearby, and wait for the dealer to drop someone else's stash. Free dope! Unless said hypothetical dealer did repeatedly use the same spot, how would the cops know about it?

To the OP: I think the cops were either clueless, or fibbing.

I've been a cop of some sort since 1982. Other than on the Internets, I have yet to hear about drug dealers leaving a stash at some random spot for other folks to pick up later. Knowing how trusting drug users are, I can't imagine them digitally sending $$ to some online account, for dope to be picked up later. Assuming, just for quirky argument's sake, if some drug dealer did employ this method, would it be logical for them to use the same hiding spot? Seems like the drug user could just hang out nearby, and wait for the dealer to drop someone else's stash. Free dope! Unless said hypothetical dealer did repeatedly use the same spot, how would the cops know about it?

To the OP: I think the cops were either clueless, or fibbing.

I've had two LEO encounters while geocaching. The first time I went to a small park located in an upscale neighborhood that overlooks the town. The cache was hidden in a stone bench, a wonderful spot to sit and watch a sunset (in fact, it's called Sunset park). There were no other vehicles in the park when I got there, but just after I replaced the cache I turned to walk back to my car as a police car pulled into the park. He waited until I got close, rolled down his window and asked, "What were you hiding under that bench?" I explained that I was geocaching and offered to show it to him but he said, "No that's okay, it's just that some of the neighbors complain about drug use in this park so I had to ask."

Another scenario, that might be more likely than a dealer hiding drugs for a buyer to retrieve, might be for a kid to hide his personal stash so that he didn't bring it home where his parents might find it. In just about every "what is the strangest thing you've ever found while geocaching" thread there are a few people that mentioned finding someones stash while searching for a cache. I've never been a cop but it seems to me that if I saw someone hiding or retrieving something that appeared to be hidden I'd wonder what it was that was being hidden/retrieved and if it was in an area where drug use was common, my first suspicions would be that it might be drugs.

A number of off-topic posts have been hidden from view in order to ensure that this discussion remains fun and geocaching-focused. If you want to debate constitutional rights and police powers outside of the geocaching context, we have a wonderful off topic forum just waiting for your thread. Let's keep this thread focused on law enforcement encounters that happened to people while geocaching. Thanks!

I'm now up to three law enforcement officers who have taken the time to help me look for the cache. I need all the help I can get! One of them found it before I could. I thanked him for having such a bright flashlight.

That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard! I've run into law enforcement a LOT geocaching in South Jersey, in fact a State Trooper just pulled me over the other day after doing a night cache and told me I'm not allowed in a State Forest after dark.....10 feet from the entrance to the campground....lmao

Whoa, the exact same thing happened to me that same night. Creepy coincidence.

I've had multiple encounters with cops while caching. Luckily in the Ruskin, Florida area they have all been positive (unlike Montgomery County, Maryland). Most stopped to make sure I was OK (was pulled off on a shoulder in rural areas). Quite a few kinda knew something but not much. I talked to them about it (and some other things) and I wouldn't be surprised if one or two have been to the site and checked it out. I don't know of any that joined though.

In Maryland had some good and bad experiences. Most were good, but in one particular case, cache was hidden at a fire hydrant in a wealthy areas with a lot of "busy body" types or those that didn't like my old MiniVan being in their ritzy shopping area. Cop arrived already in a bad mood (typical for Montgomery County) and I ended up getting a ticket for the cracked windshield (cause he was just looking for any excuse). Granted he asked to search my car and I said no (there was no cause and I believe in my rights and he already was writing the ticket).

I've had a number of good and bad experiences with police. Most have been well outside of caching and more related to my photography or videography work. The bottomline is that some cops are bad, most are good, and a few are great but ALWAYS treat them with respect.

I recognize the source of those tasty treats-Good things come in Pink Boxes. :D

I've had several LEO encounters in my years of caching and all of them except one have been decent and positive exchanges. Most recently I had a KY county sheriff deputy stop and ask if everything was OK when I was stopped in a gravel pull off area near some utility boxes. I merely replied that I was geocaching and showed my GPS. He grinned, gave me a thumbs up and said have fun as he drove off.