Save/resume from previous zone

ThePacman

Do I need any specific code to save my current zone upon "saving", so that when I resume it reloads the last completed zone?

I've built my first Wherigo with URWIGO quite easily, and it is a simple 16-zone tour guide with no charcaters/items/tasks etc. It is a simple 2km tour of the attractions along our waterfront, with GZ co-ords given at the end.

But if I stop along the walk and save (eg. at zone12), and then load/resume the cartridge from the same point where I was, the cartridge reloads without errors but I have to start from zone 1 again. Quite tedious. Anyone know how I can get a "Resume" cartridge to load from where I stopped? I'm presuming it's not the Android Wherigo app, but rather the way I've compiled my URWIGO that is not saving the restore point when I "quit and save" during the walk/tour.

If I save along the way, do I have to save some variable or call some function? Any help would be appreciated, as it would be tough for someone to walk along for 2km, and then after a crash have to walk all the way back and restart! :-)

Code should not be required to save zone states. If you have some variables stored in author script, you'll need some code to save them to a variable Wherigo saves.

I'm assuming it's a problem with the player you're using as the cartridge builder application doesn't have anything to do with this operation (and from one lone report, I can't yet suspect Urwigo's zone variables' lengths have anything to do with it).

Usually, the player app should ask if you want to save the cartridge before you close it and then for resumption as you open the cartridge. If this is not the case, there is a command you can issue to Wherigo (it should be available for you in Urwigo) to force a save. You can then force the save after the player enters each zone. Try all this out in the emulator first; that's the community's standard guide for determining how Wherigo should work.

Failing all that, if you can't trigger a save state no matter what, the only thing for you to do is to show a code of your own creation to users as they enter each zone and have an item that triggers an input to accept the code and set the cartridge up at whatever specific zone matches the code you gave to the players.

Thank you very much, Ranger Fox - all working now.

On my first few attempts after developing my first cartridge, no Save/resume was working hence my question if any specific code was required.

I then recompiled, went out again and tried several times - worked perfectly every time.

That first unexplained hiccup almost knocked my beginner confidence to develop whereIgos.

Your dedication, development initiatives and constant input here have now prompted me to develop 5 (hopefully top quality) whereIgos.

After a few issues doing other Wherigo caches, I'm trying to make mine pretty foolproof by making sure the programming wrt zone activation/de-activation etc. is pretty flawless.

Edited by ThePacman