West Michigan get together.

Rusty & Libby

I have seen a few failed attempts at getting people together here in Michigan and I think it is time to get proactive. Maybe the earlier ideas were too big and we need something on a smaller scale to start with.

I would like to meet some other area cachers over coffee or lunch at a fast food joint or maybe the food court at a mall. I think something in 28th st area on the SE side of GR would be local to many of you. Preliminarily I would like to do it around the end of April.

Who would come? Let me hear from you, also accepting suggestions on location or date, but I WILL set something up and if Libby and I are the only one that show then we will eat alone icon_frown.gif

Besides putting faces with names there are some other things meeting might accomplish. It could be the beginning of a real summer get-together, we could discuss the rumblings about a Michigan Organization, talk about how to increase the variety of caches in the area, talk about the WZZM 13 news report about geocaching, we could even talk about the crappy weather.

Lets hear from you West Michigan and any others that would be interested !!!

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

How about splitting the difference between Grand Rapids and Jackson? icon_wink.gif

I would be game for just about anything but was going with an area that I know. Please go ahead and make a suggestion.

One thought is that we could have more than one get together over a couple weekends. Take your pick, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Jackson, Lansing, Detroit. If at least one person from each get together could go to one of the others we could get some continuity of communication across the state. I'm willing to organize one and participate in a couple. Any other takers out there?

All you need to do is choose a location with available seating. Set a time span of about one hour, go a little early and place a geocaching logo on your table, wait for people to show up.

Rusty...

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

My suggestion would be to meet on the west side of Lansing. (Maybe at the Lansing Mall food court?) That’s about an hour from both Grand Rapids and Jackson. Also, there are several cachers in the Lansing/East Lansing area as well. Maybe if the get together was nearby, we could interest them as well.

That would be fine with me. How about Saturday the 27th around 10:30 AM to beat the lunch crowd. Lets see if we get any other responses.

Rusty...

quote:
Originally posted by cleenjeep:

I will plan on being at the lansing mall, on sat the 27th, at 10:30 am. How do we know who the others are though?

Michael

Michael, glad to see you are still around! I really liked your caches but hadn't seen any sign of you in quite awhile. I plan to get there about 10AM and place a geocache logo on a table. You just need to show up and look for it.

I have received a couple of positive replies thru email so I think this thing is a going to work. I'll post an event cache within the next few days so more people can see it. Saturday April 27th, 10:30 AM at the Lansing Mall food court. Does anyone have an opinion of how long it should run? One hour, two hours? I think I should post an ending time.

Does anyone think the mall will have a problem with a group of people meeting there? We can always buy some food to set in front of us.

Rusty...

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I have received a couple of positive replies thru email so I think this thing is a going to work.

I've gotten a couple of postive e-mail replies, as well...but also a couple saying there are possible (or definite) conflicts with the date. I've asked for alternate suggestions, but they haven't had a chance to respond yet.

quote:
I'll post an event cache within the next few days so more people can see it. Saturday April 27th, 10:30 AM at the Lansing Mall food court.

Let's not actually post the Event Cache until we've been able to pick two best dates, and then get a consensus on which of the two works best, ok?

quote:
Does anyone have an opinion of how long it should run? One hour, two hours? I think I should post an ending time.

I'd say post it for an hour and a half (or however long you're willing to stay and wait for any late-comers if the rest of the group has left). If individuals want to stay later once they get there, fine. But 90 minutes seems like plenty of time to let everyone at least get there.

quote:
Does anyone think the mall will have a problem with a group of people meeting there? We can always buy some food to set in front of us.

Nah, I can't imagine they would. I'm sure most of us will at least be wanting to buy a pop, if not a full lunch.

I guess let's see what kind of head count we'll be anticipating...and if we end up with a really good turn out, then maybe we should consider asking for permission in advance.

quote:
Let's not actually post the Event Cache until we've been able to pick two best dates, and then get a consensus on which of the two works best, ok?

That's fine with me, I just hope to give about 2 weeks notice if possible.

[This message was edited by Rusty on April 09, 2002 at 04:23 PM.]

It's looking like a lot of people's weekends are already filling up.

I've gotten a couple of responses from people who said they 'might' be able to make it, and will see how it goes (but that there aren't really any more convenient days they could suggest, either). Two people have said that yes, they'll plan to be there. One person has a commitment on Saturday, but could make it on Sunday (the 28th).

I think that about sums up everyone who I had asked for an alternate date suggestion from. Do we want to poll those who've expressed interest in going, and see whether Saturday or Sunday works out better? Or (in the spirit of speeding things up) do we want to just make the original Saturday suggestion official, and submit the Event Cache announcement, since we seem to have several Yes's and Maybe's already? (Rusty made a good point that if we want to give everyone a couple weeks notice to fit this in their calendar, we had better get moving on it.)

Either way works for me.

Unless something changes before I get online tomorrow I will just post it as Saturday. The main intent here is to start communication within the geocache community in Michigan. As with any date chosen there will be people that won't be able to make it. Hopefully those that miss this one can make the next one because if this goes well somebody WILL organize a next one.

Rusty...

It looks like it is on for the sat. Allthough I would prefer it either the following day, or the previous week (Apr 20) I will try to make it. I will be bringing my 22 month old daughter, so I will be easy to spot. Just look for a guy carrying a little girl in a baby-backpack.

Thanx for organizing! icon_cool.gif

-Doc Ott

A day without thermonuclear fusion is like a day without sunshine.

I just posted the Mid-Michigan Geo-Gathering information to the 2 GPS Usenet newsgroups. It was sent to alt.rec.geocaching and sci.geo.satellite-nav.

I certainly hope to be there the 27th. I'll be coming from the city of Detroit by myself and if someone needs a ride from Detroit, contact me and we may work something out.

Originally, I was going to another Geocache event that day but this will be a lot closer.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15037

Maybe we can meet up with this group in the future for a real midwest Geo-Gathering! icon_biggrin.gif

Due to the greater than anticipated response, which is a good thing, we are trying to secure a nearby park. This is getting too big to just meet in the mall.

Keep an eye on the forums and the cache page for further details. I will also try to send a note to everyone that has expressed interest if we can finalize an alternate location.

Rusty...

MIGO_med.gif